-   -   why ABIWORD? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/678718-why-abiword.html)

Francesco Pietra 06-30-2012 09:16 AM

why ABIWORD?

Hello:
With my i386 wheezy, a today update/upgrade led to libreoffice (text)
not launching. I resorted to abiword, new in my experience. I found
abiword in great troubles with tables made by libreoffice odt.
Suddendly, abiword was able to destroy nearly completely the content
of the big table.

Should my experience be representative, it would be better not to
propose text editors that are unable to do what they should.

Cheers
francesco pietra

Camaleón 06-30-2012 09:46 AM

why ABIWORD?

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:16:04 +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:

> With my i386 wheezy, a today update/upgrade led to libreoffice (text)
> not launching.

When that happens, run it from command line ("oowriter") and watch for
the output.

> I resorted to abiword, new in my experience. I found abiword in great
> troubles with tables made by libreoffice odt. Suddendly, abiword was
> able to destroy nearly completely the content of the big table.

This can happen even from documents generated by LibreOffice and then
opened with OpenOffice, MS Word or even with a different version of
LibreOffice :-/

> Should my experience be representative, it would be better not to
> propose text editors that are unable to do what they should.

It would depend on the document complexity (tables, layers, used
objects...) but you can always report it so developers can find a fix for
it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Joe 06-30-2012 09:58 AM

why ABIWORD?

Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello:
> With my i386 wheezy, a today update/upgrade led to libreoffice (text)
> not launching. I resorted to abiword, new in my experience. I found
> abiword in great troubles with tables made by libreoffice odt.
> Suddendly, abiword was able to destroy nearly completely the content
> of the big table.
>
> Should my experience be representative, it would be better not to
> propose text editors that are unable to do what they should.

I'm happy to keep both. I find Abiword able to display some Word
documents which LibreOffice cannot, and vice versa. I'd have to be
fairly desperate to actually create a Word document with either, or
even edit one.

Don't forget, Word itself is extremely poor at maintaining document
formatting across versions or even with a different printer selected.
Word has never been a DTP application, despite large numbers of people
thinking that it is. It is a document processor, designed to maintain
the flow and order of large volumes of text with embedded tables and
graphics, without much attention to layout. I'd use it to write a book,
but not a CV.

If someone demands a Word document, I would normally send an RTF file,
which is somewhat more predictable and will open in any Word, and even
then I'd use quite large margins. I do actually have a full Office 2007
on Windows 7, but there has to be money involved before I'll use it. I
hate Word more than possibly any other piece of MS software, except
perhaps Edlin (which is still part of Windows 7).

--
Joe

Doug 06-30-2012 09:12 PM

why ABIWORD?