Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Shane Johnson

Default Problem with Disk test

I was wondering if someone could maybe shed some light on a problem I
am having. I have build a Debian Squeeze server using debootstrap
with and without backports. When I run badblocks from the installed
system I keep getting errors but when I run it from the Live CD
nothing. Could I have missed a package in my install? Any other
ideas on what's happening? (This is the only system out of 5 that
this is happening on. All the others where built the same way. )

Thanks
--
Shane D. Johnson
IT Administrator

Old 06-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Richard Owlett

Shane Johnson wrote:

I was wondering if someone could maybe shed some light on a problem I
am having. I have build a Debian Squeeze server using debootstrap
with and without backports. When I run badblocks from the installed
system I keep getting errors but when I run it from the Live CD
nothing. Could I have missed a package in my install? Any other
ideas on what's happening? (This is the only system out of 5 that
this is happening on. All the others where built the same way. )

Thanks

Seagate publishes a diagnostic. The version I have is:
SeaTools Desktop Edition v3.02 (19-May-2005)

I believe it. or its successor, is available (as an ISO) at
http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

It will complain if your drive is not thier's, but will
still run the tests.

If the questionable system:
fails, I would procure a new drive.
passes, I would _*SUSPECT*_ a software problem.

You omitted a possibly critical piece of information - "Just
how similar are the FIVE systems?"

CAVEAT LECTOR: I've demonstrated here that I'm NOT a *nix
expert.
BUT, when the 8085 was "latest and greatest", I had do be
referee between hardware and software when a product didn't
pass final QC ;<

BTW, CK722's, 12AX7's, 026's anyone

Archive: 4FEE4DE2.5030303@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FEE4DE2.5030303@cloud85.net

Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:01:17 -0600, Shane Johnson wrote:

> I was wondering if someone could maybe shed some light on a problem I am
> having. I have build a Debian Squeeze server using debootstrap with and
> without backports. When I run badblocks from the installed system I
> keep getting errors

Then run a full test with smartctl and upload the results somewhere.

Badblocks are usually silently remapped by the hard disk, marked and bad
as discarded, but if there are many it can indicate a serious problem or
a disk going bad. This can be usually detected by reading the current
"pending sector count" value from smartctl.

> but when I run it from the Live CD nothing.

A LiveCD barely uses the hard disk but the CD media, it's fully loaded
from RAM memory.

> Could I have missed a package in my install?

A missing package does not have to trigger badlocks.

> Any other ideas on what's happening? (This is the only system out of 5
> that this is happening on.
> All the others where built the same way. )

A dying hard disk?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón