Old 06-29-2012, 09:29 PM

Default Re (3): Apparent disagreement between df and cp.

From: Dom <toyer@rpdom.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:02:45 +0100
> Ok, I've just tested this. It is a FAT filesystem limitation.

Nice analysis!

> On FAT12 (and FAT16, iirc) there is a limit of 512 files in the root
> directory. Other directories don't have this limit.

I found additional information here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_filename#Limitations
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940351

> Try creating a subdirectory on that drive and storing the files in there
instead.

That works in Debian.

peter@dalton:/media/4345-A417/Files$ for i in $(seq 1 255);do touch Longfilename $i;done
peter@dalton:/media/4345-A417/Files$ ls *25*
Longfilename125 Longfilename250 Longfilename253
Longfilename225 Longfilename251 Longfilename254
Longfilename25 Longfilename252 Longfilename255

Thanks! ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "