Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Gary Kline

Default need help configuring debian-6.05 with DNS

Guys,

Can someone help me get DNS installed and working on my
Debian Squeeze? The youtubed videos that I have tried have
both failed. I get an "NXDOMAIN" with nslookup or did.

thanks for any pointers!

--
Gary Kline kline@thought.org http://www.thought.org Public Service Unix
Voice By Computer (for Universal Access): http:/www.thought.org/vbc

Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Vi, 29 iun 12, 12:40:00, Gary Kline wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Can someone help me get DNS installed and working on my
> Debian Squeeze? The youtubed videos that I have tried have
> both failed. I get an "NXDOMAIN" with nslookup or did.
>
> thanks for any pointers!

1. What are you trying to achieve? (access the internet, provide some
kind of DNS service to several clients or run your own DNS server)
2. What steps have you performed so far?

It might be a good idea for you to read

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Gary Kline

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:52:32PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:52:32 +0300
> From: Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: need help configuring debian-6.05 with DNS
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> On Vi, 29 iun 12, 12:40:00, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > Guys,
> >
> > Can someone help me get DNS installed and working on my
> > Debian Squeeze? The youtubed videos that I have tried have
> > both failed. I get an "NXDOMAIN" with nslookup or did.
> >
> > thanks for any pointers!
>
> 1. What are you trying to achieve? (access the internet, provide some
> kind of DNS service to several clients or run your own DNS server)
> 2. What steps have you performed so far?

Run my own DNS server, for starters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZuPq_oLQNw is the latest
videos I have tried. I followed every step. nslookup could
not find my computers domain, and I could not ping it. I
could ping my FreedBSD server, "ethic.thought.org" and my
other hosts like my destop. But not the new tower case that
I am trying to transition to.

> It might be a good idea for you to read
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:

Gary Kline kline@thought.org http://www.thought.org Public Service Unix
Voice By Computer (for Universal Access): http:/www.thought.org/vbc
The 8.57a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org
Twenty-five years of service to the Unix community.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Gary Kline

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 01:37:06PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 13:37:06 -0700
> From: Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
> Subject: Re: need help configuring debian-6.05 with DNS
> To: Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:52:32PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:52:32 +0300
> > From: Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: need help configuring debian-6.05 with DNS
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >
> > On Vi, 29 iun 12, 12:40:00, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > Guys,
> > >
> > > Can someone help me get DNS installed and working on my
> > > Debian Squeeze? The youtubed videos that I have tried have
> > > both failed. I get an "NXDOMAIN" with nslookup or did.
> > >
> > > thanks for any pointers!
> >
> > 1. What are you trying to achieve? (access the internet, provide some
> > kind of DNS service to several clients or run your own DNS server)
> > 2. What steps have you performed so far?
>

> Run my own DNS server, for starters.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZuPq_oLQNw is the latest
> videos I have tried. I followed every step. nslookup could
> not find my computers domain, and I could not ping it. I
> could ping my FreedBSD server, "ethic.thought.org" and my
> other hosts like my destop. But not the new tower case that
> I am trying to transition to.
>

> > It might be a good idea for you to read
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrei
> > --
> > Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:

Hold on! on ethic's /etc/host's file I had the *wrong* IP. "deb"
is my to-be new Linux server with 10.47.0.115 as its internal IP.
Now I can ping and dig and nslookup the computer *correctly*. This
is outstanding.

The next thing is to get mail on "deb"; how do I do that? A few
years ago a friend installed dovecot on ethic.thought.org. Is there
an easy way of plugging in docot into "deb.thought.org"?

thanks in advance.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 13:59:27 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:

> Hold on! on ethic's /etc/host's file I had the *wrong* IP. "deb" is my
> to-be new Linux server with 10.47.0.115 as its internal IP. Now I can
> ping and dig and nslookup the computer *correctly*. This is
> outstanding.

A bad step for someone who is planning to setup a server.

> The next thing is to get mail on "deb"; how do I do that?

(...)

You can start by calling Debian using all its words (to avoid
misinterpretations with "deb" that can be taken for something different)
and opening a new thread for a new problem ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón