Old 04-10-2008, 09:20 PM
alexandre suzuki

Default Upgrading libc6 from etch to testing.Too Risky?

I want to upgrade my libc6,from etch to testing,the
output of apt-get below:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
binutils libc6-dev libc6-ppc64 libncurses5
libncurses5-dev libselinux1
libslang2 linux-libc-dev locales tzdata util-linux
Suggested packages:
binutils-doc glibc-doc manpages-dev dosfstools
util-linux-locales
Recommended packages:
libgpmg1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
linux-kernel-headers
linux-libc-dev
binutils libc6 libc6-dev libc6-ppc64 libncurses5
libncurses5-dev libselinux1
libslang2 locales tzdata util-linux
11 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 439
not upgraded.
Need to get 23.9MB of archives.
After unpacking 4342kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Abort.

Can it give problems?Anyone with experience of doing
the same?
Is it normal the removing of the package
linux-kernel-headers?It is the first step to upgrade
also the GTK2 library to testing(I need to compile
Gimp-2.4.5)

Thanks.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:17 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 02:20:09PM -0700, alexandre suzuki wrote:
> I want to upgrade my libc6,from etch to testing,the
> output of apt-get below:

libc is the heart of any unix. Since debian gives you binary packages,
they are linked against a specific version of libc6.

If you want such things from testing, just upgrade the whole system to
testing.

Doug.