Old 07-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Roger Leigh

Default PS2 Keyboard not working after latest update

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 09:43:56AM +0100, James Allsopp wrote:
> Tried both of those but nothing. I have a theory that it might be a Udev
> problem, but can't be certain. Does anyone have any ideas why a problem
> like that might arise?

Yes, if something removes the udev state in /dev/.udev (or /run/udev
on wheezy or sid) then the input device autodetection won't work
when X starts up.

If you have a USB (NOT PS/2) keyboard/mouse, try unplugging and then
plug back in--hotplugging should result in autodetection of the new
input devices.

If you're running wheezy/unstable, and /run is a symlink to /var/run,
your system is broken (/run should not be a symlink), and you should
try the packages at
http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/sysvinit/
which fix the problem (they'll be uploaded soon).

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh
`. `' schroot and sbuild http://alioth.debian.org/projects/buildd-tools

Old 07-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 02:20:25PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 09:43:56AM +0100, James Allsopp wrote:
> > Tried both of those but nothing. I have a theory that it might be a Udev
> > problem, but can't be certain. Does anyone have any ideas why a problem
> > like that might arise?
>
> Yes, if something removes the udev state in /dev/.udev (or /run/udev
> on wheezy or sid) then the input device autodetection won't work
> when X starts up.
>
> If you have a USB (NOT PS/2) keyboard/mouse, try unplugging and then
> plug back in--hotplugging should result in autodetection of the new
> input devices.

He's running stable, Roger. Does the above still apply?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Roger Leigh

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 10:32:17AM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 02:20:25PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 09:43:56AM +0100, James Allsopp wrote:
> > > Tried both of those but nothing. I have a theory that it might be a Udev
> > > problem, but can't be certain. Does anyone have any ideas why a problem
> > > like that might arise?
> >
> > Yes, if something removes the udev state in /dev/.udev (or /run/udev
> > on wheezy or sid) then the input device autodetection won't work
> > when X starts up.
> >
> > If you have a USB (NOT PS/2) keyboard/mouse, try unplugging and then
> > plug back in--hotplugging should result in autodetection of the new
> > input devices.
>
> He's running stable, Roger. Does the above still apply?

The current bug in testing/unstable won't apply. The more general
point about udev state could potentially apply if something was to
remove files from /dev/.udev (or mount something over /dev, or
umount /dev). I just mentioned the testing/unstable bug in case
there was a mistake about it being stable, since this has been
reported quite a few times over the last month.

Regards,
Roger

Old 07-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Curt

On 2012-07-02, istimsak abdulbasir <saqman2060@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have never encountered this problem before. All updates I did to squeeze
> never bothered my keyboard. Then again I am using a usb-keyboard. Not PS/2
> connection type. I've noticed in the past using PS/2 keyboard they did not
> always work. I will have to do a little investigation on this matter.
> However your issue helps me look deeper into how my system detects and adds
> the keyboard.

Maybe not you personally, but other people have encountered a problem
like this before:

Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 PM
James Allsopp

Ok, sorry for the delay in replying, here's what I've found out:

I'm using squeeze with a 2.6.32-5-686 kernel.
Adding this to the xorg.conf;
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

results in the USB mouse not working or keyboard. I've since removed this.

However, problem seems to have resolved itself,

Thank you very much for all your help,
James