Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Paul van der Vlis

Default 2D desktop Wheezy

Hello,

I would like to see the 2D desktop in Wheezy. How can I see it on a
modern machine with Intel graphics?

Background: when I remote login I see a wrong 2D desktop, but I don't
know how the good 2D desktop is..

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl

Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 10:32 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> I would like to see the 2D desktop in Wheezy. How can I see it on a
> modern machine with Intel graphics?
>
> Background: when I remote login I see a wrong 2D desktop, but I don't
> know how the good 2D desktop is..

Your desktop environment is GNOME 3? What windows manager do you use? I
suspect the default, but not everybody knows what the default for wheezy
is. At least I don't know.
I don't have any issue using squeeze, but on Arch (a rolling release =
always upgraded to latest version) for Xfce4 for example (no 3D windows
manager), Evolution has a borked color theme, perhaps such effects
encounter for Debian testing now too.
The freedom to use what ever DE, with what ever apps on Linux is bygone.
GNOME 3 stuff does follow a little bit the MS/Apple approach .

- Ralf

Old 06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:32:49 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> I would like to see the 2D desktop in Wheezy. How can I see it on a
> modern machine with Intel graphics?

What do you mean by "2D desktop"? There are many 2D desktops available...

> Background: when I remote login I see a wrong 2D desktop, but I don't
> know how the good 2D desktop is..

What's "wrong" or "right" for you?

Unless you upload/attach a snapshot so we can compare the both desktops
you get we can't guess what the problem can be :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Paul van der Vlis

Op 28-06-12 10:58, Ralf Mardorf schreef:
> On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 10:32 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> I would like to see the 2D desktop in Wheezy. How can I see it on a
>> modern machine with Intel graphics?
>>
>> Background: when I remote login I see a wrong 2D desktop, but I don't
>> know how the good 2D desktop is..
>
> Your desktop environment is GNOME 3?

Yes.

> What windows manager do you use? I
> suspect the default, but not everybody knows what the default for wheezy
> is. At least I don't know.

"update-alternatives --config x-window-manager" says I am using
Metacity, and that's the only installed windows-manager.

Maybe Metacity is the place to force a 2D desktop, but finding the
configuration is not easy. No config file and nothing in gconf-editor. I
found that they both switched to gsettings and dconf:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/GSettingsMigration
"dconf-editor" can do the configuration, in "org | gnome".

But, nothing about 2D there...

I was a bit confused about "Mutter". That's Metacity + clutter. There
are some packages installed like "mutter-common", so I found some
settings in dconf-editor about it. But the package with the binaries
("mutter") is not installed.

> I don't have any issue using squeeze, but on Arch (a rolling release =
> always upgraded to latest version) for Xfce4 for example (no 3D windows
> manager), Evolution has a borked color theme, perhaps such effects
> encounter for Debian testing now too.
> The freedom to use what ever DE, with what ever apps on Linux is bygone.
> GNOME 3 stuff does follow a little bit the MS/Apple approach .

Is here somebody who knows how to force a 2D desktop?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Paul van der Vlis

Op 28-06-12 17:02, Camaleón schreef:
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:32:49 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>
>> I would like to see the 2D desktop in Wheezy. How can I see it on a
>> modern machine with Intel graphics?
>
> What do you mean by "2D desktop"? There are many 2D desktops available...

The default 2D Gnome3 desktop.

>> Background: when I remote login I see a wrong 2D desktop, but I don't
>> know how the good 2D desktop is..
>
> What's "wrong" or "right" for you?

I miss parts of the menu.

> Unless you upload/attach a snapshot so we can compare the both desktops
> you get we can't guess what the problem can be :-)

You cannot compare one desktop, that's the reason that I am looking for
the 2D desktop on the machine.

But... I just found a way how to see the 2D desktop:

- In GDM, click "others". Now there is a new item "Desktop".
- Choose "Gnome Classic".
- Don't forget to give your username, otherwise GDM will freeze.

Then you get the 2D desktop!

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 11:31 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> - Choose "Gnome Classic".
>
> Then you get the 2D desktop!

This option soon or later will be dropped. But even a "GNOME 2" desktop
based on Metacity perhaps could need 3D acceleration, at least I guess
it will be needed for "real" transparency.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 11:31:29 +0200, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> Op 28-06-12 17:02, Camaleón schreef:

>> What do you mean by "2D desktop"? There are many 2D desktops
>> available...
>
> The default 2D Gnome3 desktop.

Ah, okay, you mean GNOME "fallback" or "gnome-classical" desktop.

>>> Background: when I remote login I see a wrong 2D desktop, but I don't
>>> know how the good 2D desktop is..
>>
>> What's "wrong" or "right" for you?
>
> I miss parts of the menu.

The top/bottom menu, the main menu...? And what's exactly what you miss
for there? Sir, if you are not a bit more precise we can't make but
blindly guess :-)

>> Unless you upload/attach a snapshot so we can compare the both desktops
>> you get we can't guess what the problem can be :-)
>
> You cannot compare one desktop, that's the reason that I am looking for
> the 2D desktop on the machine.

We can compare if we do see how the two look like :-)

> But... I just found a way how to see the 2D desktop:
>
> - In GDM, click "others". Now there is a new item "Desktop".
> - Choose "Gnome Classic".
> - Don't forget to give your username, otherwise GDM will freeze.

If you don't select a user from the list neither manually write the
username, GDM will not freeze but does nothing, is waiting four your
input.

> Then you get the 2D desktop!

Oh, sure! Glad you finally got it.

Greetings,