Old 06-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Mark Panen

Default / almost full

Hi,

When i installed Squeeze on the 2TB HDD a couple of times due to my
incorrect settings in the BIOS, i eventually instead of manually
partitioning the partitions choose the Debian option of creating a
/home, /usr / var and / partition just to do a quick install.

Now i see my / is almost full.

/dev/sdc1 323M 304M 2.6M 100% /
tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 3.9G 212K 3.9G 1% /dev
tmpfs 3.9G 2.6M 3.9G 1% /dev/shm
/dev/sdc9 1.8T 248G 1.5T 15% /home
/dev/sdc8 368M 17M 333M 5% /tmp
/dev/sdc5 8.3G 3.3G 4.6G 42% /usr
/dev/sdc6 2.8G 530M 2.1G 20% /var

Am i in trouble and will i have to do another install? Is / the boot
partition?

dpkg --list | grep linux-image
ii linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64
2.6.32-45 Linux 2.6.32 for 64-bit PCs

I removed linux-image-2.6-amd64
2.6.32+29 Linux 2.6 for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)

--
Cheers
Mark

Archive: 4FEBF584.7030804@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FEBF584.7030804@gmail.com

Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 08:11:16 +0200
Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Mark,

>Am i in trouble and will i have to do another install? Is / the boot
>partition?

/ is the root partition. You seem to have no separate /boot partition.

You're only in a small amount of trouble. The best option is to
download a rescue CD .iso(1) and, having booted from that, resize your
partitions to create some more space on / (root). It might take a fair
bit of juggling depending on how the partitions are laid out(3).

Even though it's comparatively safe to do this(2), I strongly recommend
that you back up any important data before attempting any resizing.

(1) I used one from http://www.sysresccd.org which has various options
for partition manipulation.

(2) I had to perform the same task yesterday. It was the first time
I'd done it, and everything went smoothly.

(3) I had to decrease the size of /home, move /swap, shrink the LV that
they were on, then increase the size of /. A tense three hours ensued,
but all went well.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Jochen Spieker

Mark Panen:

> /dev/sdc1 323M 304M 2.6M 100% /
> tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /lib/init/rw
> udev 3.9G 212K 3.9G 1% /dev
> tmpfs 3.9G 2.6M 3.9G 1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sdc9 1.8T 248G 1.5T 15% /home
> /dev/sdc8 368M 17M 333M 5% /tmp
> /dev/sdc5 8.3G 3.3G 4.6G 42% /usr
> /dev/sdc6 2.8G 530M 2.1G 20% /var
>
> Am i in trouble and will i have to do another install?

No.

> Is / the boot partition?

/boot is on / in your case, yes. I bet most of the space on / is
occupied by kernels as they are never automatically removed. Run

dpkg -l linux-image-* | grep ^ii

to see which kernels you have installed. You can safely remove all but
the most recent one or two.

Another option to see where most disk space is occupied is to install
ncdu and run it (ncdu -x /).

J.
--
A passionate argument means more to me than a blockbuster movie.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 06-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Keith McKenzie

Mark Panen:

> /dev/sdc1 323M 304M 2.6M 100% /
> tmpfs 3.9G 0 3.9G 0% /lib/init/rw
> udev 3.9G 212K 3.9G 1% /dev
> tmpfs 3.9G 2.6M 3.9G 1% /dev/shm
> /dev/sdc9 1.8T 248G 1.5T 15% /home
> /dev/sdc8 368M 17M 333M 5% /tmp
> /dev/sdc5 8.3G 3.3G 4.6G 42% /usr
> /dev/sdc6 2.8G 530M 2.1G 20% /var

Personally, I would re install if this is a personal system, it will
make life easier in the future.

If you do decide to;
create a / partition of about 10gb (minimum)
a swap partition (if you want one)
& the rest either as one partition for /home,
or multiple partitions ( /home, /data, /movies, etc)

Splitting a large drive into smaller partitions will speed up file
system checks.

--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 09:57:13AM +0100, Keith McKenzie wrote:
> Personally, I would re install if this is a personal system, it will
> make life easier in the future.
>
> If you do decide to;
> create a / partition of about 10gb (minimum)
> a swap partition (if you want one)

swap would be almost mandatory, wouldn't it?

> & the rest either as one partition for /home,
> or multiple partitions ( /home, /data, /movies, etc)

What about /tmp? or is that not necessary now because of this new tmpfs
thingy?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Keith McKenzie

Judging by your present setup, it looks like you have 8gb ram, half of
it being used as tmpfs; or am I wrong.

As for /tmp & /var, they would be under/on your / partition, as would
/usr. That is why I was suggesting at least 10gb; you appear to be
using about 4gb at present; that should leave enough room for any
further additional applications you install in the future.

Swap is not mandatory. :-)
If you think you will need some, add equal to system ram, but I don't
bother with swap on 2gb ram or more, as my usage of ram is pretty low,
web browsing, movie watching, playing music, etc.

The main reason for having separate / & /home is that I can re install
the system if necessary, without having to re install all my personal
files.
(Of course, I still have backups.) :-)

Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Jochen Spieker

Keith McKenzie:

> Judging by your present setup, it looks like you have 8gb ram, half of
> it being used as tmpfs; or am I wrong.

Note that tmpfs doesn't reserve the space if it is not in use. It will
only use as much space as is currently actually "saved" in it.

J.
--
I cannot comprehend the idea of chemical and biological weapons.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Brad Alexander

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:57 AM, Keith McKenzie <km3952@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Panen:
>>
>> Filesystem * * * * * *Size *Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sdc1 * * * * * * 323M *304M *2.6M 100% /
>> tmpfs * * * * * * * * 3.9G * * 0 *3.9G * 0% /lib/init/rw
>> udev * * * * * * * * *3.9G *212K *3.9G * 1% /dev
>> tmpfs * * * * * * * * 3.9G *2.6M *3.9G * 1% /dev/shm
>> /dev/sdc9 * * * * * * 1.8T *248G *1.5T *15% /home
>> /dev/sdc8 * * * * * * 368M * 17M *333M * 5% /tmp
>> /dev/sdc5 * * * * * * 8.3G *3.3G *4.6G *42% /usr
>> /dev/sdc6 * * * * * * 2.8G *530M *2.1G *20% /var
>>

> Personally, I would re install if this is a personal system, it will
> make life easier in the future.

And if you do this, I would consider using Logical Volume Manager
(LVM) instead of raw hard drive partitions. This will allow you to
resize partitions if you need to.

> If you do decide to;
> create a / partition of about 10gb (minimum)
> a swap partition (if you want one)
> & the rest either as one partition for /home,
> *or multiple partitions ( /home, /data, /movies, etc)

When I lay out a system, I generally do the following (this is based
on my workstation with a 750GB hard drive, you can mix and match to
taste):

250MB /boot (on a hard drive partition if I encrypt the hard drive --
good for about 8-10 kernels)
1*RAM swap
Remainder of the drive as LVM. Within the LVM, I build a

1GB /
10-15GB /usr
3GB /usr/local
20GB /home (which I have had to grow to 40GB in lieu of cleaning it up )
5GB /var
60GB /data

and I still have 533GB in reserve. Obviously, the sizes can be adjusted.

--b

Old 06-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Christopher Judd

On Thursday 28 June 2012 10:25:13 Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 09:57:13AM +0100, Keith McKenzie wrote:

> > Personally, I would re install if this is a personal system, it will

> > make life easier in the future.

> > If you do decide to;

> > create a / partition of about 10gb (minimum)

> > a swap partition (if you want one)

> swap would be almost mandatory, wouldn't it?

*

You can use a swapfile without dedicating a separate partition.

*

-Chris

*

| Christopher Judd, Ph. D. |

| Research Scientist III |

| NYS Dept. of Health judd@wadsworth.org |

| Wadsworth Center - ESP |

| P. O. Box 509 518 486-7829 |

| Albany, NY 12201-0509 |

*

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain

confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally

privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. It

is intended only for the addressee. If you received this in error or

from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not

distribute, copy or use it or any attachments. Please notify the

sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your

system. Thank you for your cooperation.