Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 PM
ChadDavis

Default java alternatives

I want to see the script that installs the alternatives when the
sun-java6-jdk is installed. I'm not that familiar with the .deb
structure, etc. I guess it's in some lifecycle script, but I don't
know where those end up. The update-alternatives man page says
"update-alternatives is usually called from the postinst (configure)
or prerm (install) scripts in Debian packages." But where do I find
those?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 03:53:53PM -0600, ChadDavis wrote:
> I want to see the script that installs the alternatives when the
> sun-java6-jdk is installed. I'm not that familiar with the .deb
> structure, etc. I guess it's in some lifecycle script, but I don't
> know where those end up. The update-alternatives man page says
> "update-alternatives is usually called from the postinst (configure)
> or prerm (install) scripts in Debian packages." But where do I find
> those?

If you download the deb, you can view its contents (it's just an
archive) using xarchiver or something similar. The files you're looking
for will be in the DEBIAN directory.

-Rob

Old 06-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Richard Hector

On 28/06/12 09:53, ChadDavis wrote:
> I want to see the script that installs the alternatives when the
> sun-java6-jdk is installed. I'm not that familiar with the .deb
> structure, etc. I guess it's in some lifecycle script, but I don't
> know where those end up. The update-alternatives man page says
> "update-alternatives is usually called from the postinst (configure)
> or prerm (install) scripts in Debian packages." But where do I find
> those?

If the package is installed:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/sun-java6-jdk.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sun-java6-jdk.prerm

Richard

Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:53:53 -0600, ChadDavis wrote:

> I want to see the script that installs the alternatives when the
> sun-java6-jdk is installed. I'm not that familiar with the .deb
> structure, etc. I guess it's in some lifecycle script, but I don't know
> where those end up. The update-alternatives man page says
> "update-alternatives is usually called from the postinst (configure) or
> prerm (install) scripts in Debian packages." But where do I find those?

sm01@stt008:~$ locate update-alternatives
/usr/sbin/update-alternatives
(...)

sm01@stt008:~$ file /usr/sbin/update-alternatives
/usr/sbin/update-alternatives: a /usr/bin/perl -- script text executable

sm01@stt008:~$ cat /usr/sbin/update-alternatives
(...)

Or more specifically:

sm01@stt008:~$ file /usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives
/usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives: Bourne-Again shell script text executable

sm01@stt008:~$ cat /usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives
(...)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Camaleón

El 2012-06-28 a las 10:59 -0600, ChadDavis escribió:

(resending to the list)

> > sm01@stt008:~$ locate update-alternatives
> > /usr/sbin/update-alternatives
> > (...)
> >
> > sm01@stt008:~$ file /usr/sbin/update-alternatives
> > /usr/sbin/update-alternatives: a /usr/bin/perl -- script text executable
> >
> > sm01@stt008:~$ cat /usr/sbin/update-alternatives
> > (...)
> >
> > Or more specifically:
> >
> > sm01@stt008:~$ file /usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives
> > /usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives: Bourne-Again shell script text executable
> >
> > sm01@stt008:~$ cat /usr/sbin/update-java-alternatives
> > (...)
>
> I'm not looking for the update-java-alternatives or the
> update-alternatives themselves. I'm looking for the package lifecycle
> scripts that actually invoke update-alternatives --install for each of
> the java commands when the package is installed.

I think it comes from dpkg itself. Sorry for not being more specific,
but I'm not sure what kind of information you are looking for :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM
Camaleón

El 2012-06-28 a las 13:33 -0600, ChadDavis escribió:

(resending to the list)

> >> I'm not looking for the update-java-alternatives or the
> >> update-alternatives themselves. *I'm looking for the package lifecycle
> >> scripts that actually invoke update-alternatives --install for each of
> >> the java commands when the package is installed.
> >
> > I think it comes from dpkg itself. Sorry for not being more specific,
> > but I'm not sure what kind of information you are looking for :-?
> >

> I'm looking for the package lifecycle scripts that register the
> package's commands with the alterntaves mechanism. And, as Richard
> pointed out, they are located at:
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/sun-java6-jdk.postinst
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/sun-java6-jdk.prerm

Ah, fine then... as you did not reply to any of the posts in the thread,
I tought you were still searching for it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón