Old 06-27-2012, 04:05 PM
m laks

Default mutt messed up. colors black on black cant read any messages

Hi,
I am writing this from yahoomail cause i cant read anything in mutt
today. i must have hit some key sequence which changed the colors
to black on black!
I have been using mutt with the following in the .muttrc

color normal black white
color attachment brightyellow white
color hdrdefault cyan white
color indicator black cyan
color markers brightred white
color quoted green white
color signature cyan black
color status brightgreen blue
color tilde blue black
color tree red white

color index red black ~D
color index magenta black ~T
# color of folders with new mail
color sidebar_new yellow default

-----
i tried to fix it by substituting in a plain vanilla .muttrc
color normal black white
color hdrdefault black white
color quoted black white
color signature black white
color status white black
color indicator white black
# color of folders with new mail
color sidebar_new yellow default

but something seems make it so that as soon as I enter to look at a mail
all i see is black and i cant read the text.

what can i do

thanks!
Mitchell

Old 06-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:05:24 -0700, m laks wrote:

> I am writing this from yahoomail cause i cant read anything in mutt
> today.

We have to solve that quickly! ;-)

> i must have hit some key sequence which changed the colors to black on
> black!
> I have been using mutt with the following in the .muttrc

(...)

> i tried to fix it by substituting in a plain vanilla .muttrc color

(...)

> but something seems make it so that as soon as I enter to look at a mail
> all i see is black and i cant read the text.
>
> what can i do

What happens when you launch Mutt from a different user?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Henning Follmann

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 09:05:24AM -0700, m laks wrote:
> Hi,
> I am writing this from yahoomail cause i cant read anything in mutt
> today. i must have hit some key sequence which changed the colors
> to black on black!
> I have been using mutt with the following in the .muttrc
>
> color normal black white
> color attachment brightyellow white
> color hdrdefault cyan white
> color indicator black cyan
> color markers brightred white
> color quoted green white
> color signature cyan black
> color status brightgreen blue
> color tilde blue black
> color tree red white
>
> color index red black ~D
> color index magenta black ~T
> # color of folders with new mail
> color sidebar_new yellow default
>
> -----
> i tried to fix it by substituting in a plain vanilla .muttrc
> color normal black white
> color hdrdefault black white
> color quoted black white
> color signature black white
> color status white black
> color indicator white black
> # color of folders with new mail
> color sidebar_new yellow default
>

> but something seems make it so that as soon as I enter to look at a mail
> all i see is black and i cant read the text.
>
> what can i do
>
> thanks!
> Mitchell

Do you source config files from somewhere else?
What happens when you comment out _all_ color statements?

-H

--
Henning Follmann | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com

Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 AM
Mitchell Laks

> Do you source config files from somewhere else?
> What happens when you comment out _all_ color statements?

That didnt change anything.

However I noticed that the /tmp file system was full (some pulse_* files) .

So I rebooted

then all the temp files went away and mutt returned to normal functioning

and I am writing this in mutt!

thank you as well as Cameleon for your interest in my problem!

Old 06-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Mitchell Laks

solved thank you for your help
/tmp was full.
Mitchell

Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:55:33PM -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> > Do you source config files from somewhere else?
> > What happens when you comment out _all_ color statements?
>
> That didnt change anything.
>
> However I noticed that the /tmp file system was full (some pulse_* files) .
>
> So I rebooted

Ouch!

> then all the temp files went away and mutt returned to normal functioning

It may have been another problem completely unrelated to /tmp being full
but got fixed by a reboot. Manually deleting the files in /tmp, logging
out then logging back in and starting mutt would have proved it.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 07-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Stephen Allen

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:55:33PM -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> > Do you source config files from somewhere else?
> > What happens when you comment out _all_ color statements?
>
> That didnt change anything.
>
> However I noticed that the /tmp file system was full (some pulse_* files) .
>
> So I rebooted
>
> then all the temp files went away and mutt returned to normal functioning
>
> and I am writing this in mutt!

Might consider running Bleachbit in root mode from time to time. It will
clean temp out for you if you enable that option. It's in Debian.