Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Richard Owlett

Default Where does Debian define/specify "standard bundles"?

In trying to find a reasonable way to create a custom
installation I came across http://www.instalinux.com . I
gather from what is on its site and several reviews it
creates the equivalent of a customized netinst iso by using
preseed files.

At one point the site allows the user to select some
"common" preference saying: "Select Debian-Squeeze software
bundles" and then listing desktop, laptop, etc.

Where would I find those "bundles" defined?
[Google not helpful :<

Archive: 4FEB274E.6060601@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FEB274E.6060601@cloud85.net

Old 06-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:31:26 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> In trying to find a reasonable way to create a custom installation I
> came across http://www.instalinux.com . I gather from what is on its
> site and several reviews it creates the equivalent of a customized
> netinst iso by using preseed files.
>
> At one point the site allows the user to select some "common" preference
> saying: "Select Debian-Squeeze software bundles" and then listing
> desktop, laptop, etc.
>
> Where would I find those "bundles" defined? [Google not helpful :<

There's a brief explanation of the involved packages here:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#pkgsel

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Richard Owlett

Camaleón wrote:

In trying to find a reasonable way to create a custom installation I
came across http://www.instalinux.com . I gather from what is on its
site and several reviews it creates the equivalent of a customized
netinst iso by using preseed files.

At one point the site allows the user to select some "common" preference
saying: "Select Debian-Squeeze software bundles" and then listing
desktop, laptop, etc.

Where would I find those "bundles" defined? [Google not helpful :<

There's a brief explanation of the involved packages here:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#pkgsel

Greetings,

I've seen either that page or a quotation of it. As it is
from an "Installation Guide", the author's intended audience
is a range typical end users, not someone wishing to make a
tool for a very atypical end user.

What I'm looking for is similar to the dependency info used
in the background by synaptic etc.

Pages similar to
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/desktop-base or
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gdm3 would be closer to
what I'm looking for.

Archive: 4FEC77C1.9060803@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FEC77C1.9060803@cloud85.net

Old 06-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Keith McKenzie

You appear to be wanting to know the dependancies for packages,
whereas, installinux appears to run a distros installer.

If you want tasksel, it is part of the Debian install process. the
regular (Debian suggested) desktop environment is Gnome, but you can
choose between Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or LXDE on installation. OR, install
a 'standard system' & then boot into it & run apt-get install (or use
aptitude) to install your choice of programs, such as Xorg & a window
manager, or a desktop environment, & programs for office work, web
browsing, etc.

All necessary (open source) dependancies will be installed
automatically for you.

On 28/06/2012, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:31:26 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> In trying to find a reasonable way to create a custom installation I
>>> came across http://www.instalinux.com . I gather from what is on its
>>> site and several reviews it creates the equivalent of a customized
>>> netinst iso by using preseed files.
>>>
>>> At one point the site allows the user to select some "common" preference
>>> saying: "Select Debian-Squeeze software bundles" and then listing
>>> desktop, laptop, etc.
>>>
>>> Where would I find those "bundles" defined? [Google not helpful :<
>>
>> There's a brief explanation of the involved packages here:
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#pkgsel
>>
>> Greetings,
>>

> I've seen either that page or a quotation of it. As it is
> from an "Installation Guide", the author's intended audience
> is a range typical end users, not someone wishing to make a
> tool for a very atypical end user.
>
> What I'm looking for is similar to the dependency info used
> in the background by synaptic etc.
>
> Pages similar to
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/desktop-base or
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gdm3 would be closer to
> what I'm looking for.

Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Jon Dowland

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 04:42:44PM +0100, Keith McKenzie wrote:
> If you want tasksel, it is part of the Debian install process. the
> regular (Debian suggested) desktop environment is Gnome, but you can
> choose between Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or LXDE on installation.

I think he does want tasksel, but it's not really part of the install
process, it's merely called by the install process. I believe the tasksel
maintainers have recently moved to a model where their tasks (bundles) are
now simply packages - Here is a list of all binary packages provided by
the source tasksel package in sid:

http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/tasksel

Old 06-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> I think he does want tasksel, but it's not really part of the install
> process, it's merely called by the install process. I believe the tasksel
> maintainers have recently moved to a model where their tasks (bundles) are
> now simply packages - Here is a list of all binary packages provided by
> the source tasksel package in sid:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/tasksel

+1

For example, in Wheezy, "apt-get install task-dns-server" is the same
as "tasksel install dns-server".

Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:26:57 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:31:26 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> In trying to find a reasonable way to create a custom installation I
>>> came across http://www.instalinux.com . I gather from what is on its
>>> site and several reviews it creates the equivalent of a customized
>>> netinst iso by using preseed files.
>>>
>>> At one point the site allows the user to select some "common"
>>> preference
>>> saying: "Select Debian-Squeeze software bundles" and then listing
>>> desktop, laptop, etc.
>>>
>>> Where would I find those "bundles" defined? [Google not helpful :<
>>
>> There's a brief explanation of the involved packages here:
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch06s03.html.en#pkgsel
>>

> I've seen either that page or a quotation of it. As it is from an
> "Installation Guide", the author's intended audience is a range typical
> end users, not someone wishing to make a tool for a very atypical end
> user.

Well, the target audicence for the guide can be a "joe" user who is going
to install Debian in the default way, or an advanced user who wants a
self-made/customized install.

Either way, the "software bundles" referred by instalinux are close to
the mentioned package selections described there.

> What I'm looking for is similar to the dependency info used in the
> background by synaptic etc.
>
> Pages similar to
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/desktop-base or
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gdm3 would be closer to what I'm
> looking for.

Yes, I think I know what you want to get but doing so from Debian
installer is a bit tricky... you can cherry-pick the packages (or meta-
packages) that have to be installed by means of preseeding (also
documented in the above mentioned guide, chapter "B.2. Using preseeding")
but is not an easy task.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Keith McKenzie

On 28/06/2012, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 04:42:44PM +0100, Keith McKenzie wrote:
>> If you want tasksel, it is part of the Debian install process. the
>> regular (Debian suggested) desktop environment is Gnome, but you can
>> choose between Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or LXDE on installation.
>
> I think he does want tasksel, but it's not really part of the install
> process, it's merely called by the install process. I believe the tasksel
> maintainers have recently moved to a model where their tasks (bundles) are
> now simply packages - Here is a list of all binary packages provided by
> the source tasksel package in sid:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/tasksel

Interesting tidbit, I'm still mainly on Squeeze, with one Wheezy setup
via the installer on XFCE/LXDE CD-1

Old 06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Richard Owlett

Camaleón wrote:

[...]

Well, the target audience for the guide can be a "joe" user who is going
to install Debian in the default way, or an advanced user who wants a
self-made/customized install.

Either way, the "software bundles" referred by instalinux are close to
the mentioned package selections described there.

What I'm looking for is similar to the dependency info used in the
background by synaptic etc.

Pages similar to
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/desktop-base or
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gdm3 would be closer to what I'm
looking for.

Yes, I think I know what you want to get but doing so from Debian
installer is a bit tricky... you can cherry-pick the packages (or meta-
packages) that have to be installed by means of preseeding (also
documented in the above mentioned guide, chapter "B.2. Using preseeding")
but is not an easy task.

Greetings,

Me? Do things in convoluted manner?
Teachers and bosses have commented on that for >50 years ;}

In some of my reading, I have come across bits of the
history of the "Embedded Debian Project". Though reading
more on that project is unlikely to explicitly answer the
question I posed, much of their work will be useful to me.
They were motivated physical system constraints. I find the
results esthetically satisfying.

Archive: 4FEDB7CC.1080800@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FEDB7CC.1080800@cloud85.net

Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Richard Owlett

[reformatted to bottom posting]

Keith McKenzie wrote:

[...]

Yes

whereas, installinux appears to run a distros installer.

Yes. But
I want to understand the dependencies so I will know what
instalinux thinks is being request. The old problem of
getting what you ASK for, not what you WANTED.

If you want tasksel, it is part of the Debian install process. the
regular (Debian suggested) desktop environment is Gnome, but you can
choose between Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or LXDE on installation. OR, install
a 'standard system'& then boot into it& run apt-get install (or use
aptitude) to install your choice of programs, such as Xorg& a window
manager, or a desktop environment,& programs for office work, web
browsing, etc.

Chuckle.
But I'm trying for a *LEAN* system that is not feature starved.
I'll use the Gnome Desktop _Environment_ as an example.
I like the general UI.
*BUT* it stuffs tons of never to be used games, office
applications, and browsers unto the system. And adding
insult to injury, does not install the packages I do want ;<