Old 06-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Camaleón

Default Where does Debian define/specify "standard bundles"?

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 09:12:28 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Yes, I think I know what you want to get but doing so from Debian
>> installer is a bit tricky... you can cherry-pick the packages (or meta-
>> packages) that have to be installed by means of preseeding (also
>> documented in the above mentioned guide, chapter "B.2. Using
>> preseeding") but is not an easy task.
>>

> Me? Do things in convoluted manner?
> Teachers and bosses have commented on that for >50 years ;}

:-D

> In some of my reading, I have come across bits of the history of the
> "Embedded Debian Project". Though reading more on that project is
> unlikely to explicitly answer the question I posed, much of their work
> will be useful to me. They were motivated physical system constraints. I
> find the results esthetically satisfying.

I'm sure you'd enjoy the concept of the openSUSE Studio that allows you
to create a customized installation ISO image by selecting only the
packages you want to be there and automatically solving the package
dependencies :-)

For Debian there were a different set of options to create a personalized
CD image (some of them listed here²) but the usual way to get an
installation with the small amount of packages is by loading the netinst
image, select the expert installer and then choose only the base system
to be installed from the task selector. Once the system is up and running
(and package managers can deal with package dependencies), proceed with
the installation of the wanted applications you want to be there.

¹http://susestudio.com/
²http://wiki.debian.org/DebianCustomCD/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Richard Owlett

Camaleón wrote:

[...]

Enjoy - quite possibly.
Afford - not likely (all those methods for requesting a quote

For Debian there were a different set of options to create a personalized
CD image (some of them listed here²) but the usual way to get an
installation with the small amount of packages is by loading the netinst
image, select the expert installer and then choose only the base system
to be installed from the task selector.

That's what I was doing that caused me to dive further into
the dependency issue.

I'll add the DebianCustomCD page to my reading list.

Archive: 4FEDE792.3070803@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FEDE792.3070803@cloud85.net

Old 06-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:36:18 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> I'm sure you'd enjoy the concept of the openSUSE Studio that allows you
>> to create a customized installation ISO image by selecting only the
>> packages you want to be there and automatically solving the package
>> dependencies :-)
>
> Enjoy - quite possibly.
> Afford - not likely (all those methods for requesting a quote

Well, openSUSE Studio is only for building openSUSE derived images,
nothing you can do here. Is _the idea_ what is interesting from a user's
point of view because of its easiness in building a complete system from
scratch with the packages you select :-)

>> For Debian there were a different set of options to create a
>> personalized CD image (some of them listed here²) but the usual way to
>> get an installation with the small amount of packages is by loading the
>> netinst image, select the expert installer and then choose only the
>> base system to be installed from the task selector.
>
> That's what I was doing that caused me to dive further into the
> dependency issue.
> I'll add the DebianCustomCD page to my reading list.

You may be also interested in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_remastering_software#Linux_utilities

Greetings,

--