Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Mika Suomalainen

Default Debian's grub doesn't detect Ubuntu

Hi,

I have three OSes on this computer. They are Debian Sid, Ubuntu Precise
and Windows 7.

It seems that Debian's grub can only detect Debian and Windows 7, but
not Ubuntu.

I have tried Googling and running update-grub some times, but I haven't
found anything useful.

What should I try now?

Thanks in advantage.

--
[Mika Suomalainen](https://mkaysi.github.com/) ||

NOTICE! I am on mobile broadband with very limited time, so I cannot
read emails very much.
The best time to contact me is probably weekends when I have better
connectivity with good luck.

[gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys
4DB53CFE82A46728](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/key.txt) ||
[Why do I sign my
emails?](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/WhyDoISignEmails.html) ||
[Do you have problems verifying my PGP/MIME signature on mailing
list?](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/PGP-MIME.html) ||
[Please don't send
HTML.](http://mkaysi.github.com/articles/complaining/HTML.html) ||
[This signature](https://gist.github.com/2643070#file_icedove.md)

[Please reply below this
line](http://mkaysi.github.com/articles/complaining/topposting.html)

____________________________

Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Keith McKenzie

You could, most likely, enter it by hand into the grub configuration;
& it should then be available on your next reboot.

In /boot/grub/grub.cfg;

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

--
Sent from FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
Debian GNU/Linux

Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Mi, 27 iun 12, 10:37:08, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have three OSes on this computer. They are Debian Sid, Ubuntu Precise
> and Windows 7.
>
> It seems that Debian's grub can only detect Debian and Windows 7, but
> not Ubuntu.

I'm sure the developer of os-prober would like to know about this, how
about filing a bug (if one doesn't exist already)?

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Siard

Mika Suomalainen wrote:
> It seems that Debian's grub can only detect Debian and Windows 7, but
> not Ubuntu.

First make sure that Ubuntu's /boot/grub/grub.cfg contains a menuentry
for Ubuntu in the section starting with
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
If not, run update-grub in Ubuntu.

Once it does, run update-grub in Debian.
If Ubuntu still is not detected for some reason, you can always copy
the menuentry from Ubuntu's /boot/grub/grub.cfg to
Debian's /etc/grub.d/40_custom, and run update-grub in Debian once
again.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Helgi Örn Helgason

On 27 June 2012 07:37, Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have three OSes on this computer. They are Debian Sid, Ubuntu Precise
> and Windows 7.
>
> It seems that Debian's grub can only detect Debian and Windows 7, but
> not Ubuntu.
>
> I have tried Googling and running update-grub some times, but I haven't
> found anything useful.
>
> What should I try now?

Did you mount the Ubuntu partition before running update-grub?
If not, then try that. Usually that will help.

Cheers,
/HÖ

Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Mika Suomalainen

On 27.06.2012 18:35, Helgi Örn Helgason wrote:
> On 27 June 2012 07:37, Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have three OSes on this computer. They are Debian Sid, Ubuntu Precise
>> > and Windows 7.
>> >
>> > It seems that Debian's grub can only detect Debian and Windows 7, but
>> > not Ubuntu.
>> >
>> > I have tried Googling and running update-grub some times, but I haven't
>> > found anything useful.
>> >
>> > What should I try now?
>> >
> Did you mount the Ubuntu partition before running update-grub?
> If not, then try that. Usually that will help.

Thank you for your reply.

I tried mounting all partitions now and running update-grub after
reading your email, but it didn't seem to work. I am still seeing only
Debian and Windows 7 in GRUB.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:37:08 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

> I have three OSes on this computer. They are Debian Sid, Ubuntu Precise
> and Windows 7.
>
> It seems that Debian's grub can only detect Debian and Windows 7, but
> not Ubuntu.

You have a clever computer ;-P

> I have tried Googling and running update-grub some times, but I haven't
> found anything useful.
>
> What should I try now?

If running "update-grub¹" does not do the trick, copy/paste the GRUB
entry menu you have configured for Ubuntu, if any. If there's still none,
also tell us so.

¹ Ensure the os-prober feature is enabled in "/etc/default/grub",
variable #GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true" should be commented out (#).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Helgi Örn Helgason

On 28 June 2012 12:51, Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I tried mounting all partitions now and running update-grub after
> reading your email, but it didn't seem to work. I am still seeing only
> Debian and Windows 7 in GRUB.

Hmm... Strange, I did this today on a computer with exactly these same
three systems. After a Ubuntu kernel upgrade I booted up debian and
ran update-grub after mounting the Ubuntu partition, like usual it
worked perfectly well.
Where is your Ubuntu /boot, under / or on a seperate partition?

/HÖ

Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 PM
"John W. Foster"

On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 13:51 +0300, Mika Suomalainen wrote:

> > Did you mount the Ubuntu partition before running update-grub?
> > If not, then try that. Usually that will help.
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I tried mounting all partitions now and running update-grub after
> reading your email, but it didn't seem to work. I am still seeing only
> Debian and Windows 7 in GRUB.

Try running update-grub on the Ubuntu partition. If these are on
partitions on a single disk then make sure that you don't writ this
Ubuntu results to the MBR. You just need to regenerate grub.cfg for
Ubuntu. Then do the same for Debian but tell grub to write to the MBR.
If these are on separate disks then have the ubuntu update write to the
boot partition on the disk that it is installed on. Then have debian
write to the MBR. I expect that the MBR is on a Windows 7 disk that is
mounted as your start up disk as Win7 does not play well elsewise. If
possible & you have these on separate disks then change the boot
sequrence in you system bios to have your Debian disk as the first boot
disk. I have such a setup. Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Windows 7 pro in
that order, Each on its own disk.
frosty

Old 07-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> Mika Suomalainen wrote:
>>
>> It seems that Debian's grub can only detect Debian and Windows 7, but
>> not Ubuntu.
>
> First make sure that Ubuntu's /boot/grub/grub.cfg contains a menuentry
> for Ubuntu in the section starting with
> ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

os-prober doesn't need "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" in Ubuntu to exist in
order to create an entry in the Debian "/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober"
section.

If "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" exists in Ubuntu, os-prober uses its kernel
options in the Debian "/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober" section.