-   -   Install Nvidia & disable Nouveau (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/677583-install-nvidia-disable-nouveau.html)

Mark Panen 06-27-2012 01:16 AM

Install Nvidia & disable Nouveau

Hi,

I have one machine sitting quite content with Squeeze since 6 came out.

And now we play with another.

I have forgotten how to install the Nvidia driver on Squeeze and have
done it successfully before using the bin file from Nvidia but this time
the installer will not disable Nouveau.

I cannot also find any package as per the wiki called "nvidia-installer"

--
Cheers
Mark

Archive: 4FEA5F0A.4090408@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FEA5F0A.4090408@gmail.com

Camaleón 06-27-2012 02:35 PM

Install Nvidia & disable Nouveau

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 03:16:58 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:

(...)

> I have forgotten how to install the Nvidia driver on Squeeze and have
> done it successfully before using the bin file from Nvidia but this time
> the installer will not disable Nouveau.

This article can help:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/#Installation-1

> I cannot also find any package as per the wiki called "nvidia-installer"

What wiki page are you referring to? :-?

Anyway, the package is called "nvidia-glx" and "nvidia-kernel-*",
available from the "non-free" repository.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Brad Rogers 06-27-2012 03:05 PM

Install Nvidia & disable Nouveau

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 03:16:58 +0200
Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Mark,

>I cannot also find any package as per the wiki called "nvidia-installer"

Further to what Cameleon has already said, I suggest you use the *dkms
packages for the nVidia drivers. That takes care of all the necessary
module and driver (re)building that is required to keep the system
working.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is