Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Mark Panen

Default SATA 6 Gb/s WD HDD not booting on Squeeze

Hi,

I have four HDD, the forth one is a WD 2TB SATA 6B/s and i connected it
to the SATA 6 port on the mobo with a SATA 6 cable.

I disconnected the other three SATA HDD when installing. The
installation went fine and i did a lot of work to set up my drive.

I then connected the other three SATA drives one by one and fdisk showed
them up and i mounted them.

I then put the fstab entries into fstab as per the Debian wiki or
google, don't remember.

When i reboot grub appears and then i get a message "Please wait

Knoppix does not pick up the 2TB drive so i can't edit the fstab to get
rid of the entries i put in.

Rescue is very helpful, not.

Could someone please tell me how the f*** to edit fstab?

Cheers
Mark

Archive: 4FEA460C.5070909@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FEA460C.5070909@gmail.com

Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Nick Boyce

On Wednesday 27 Jun 2012 00:30:20 Mark Panen wrote:

> When i reboot grub appears and then i get a message "Please wait

I think you'd better tell us what some of that doodookaka actually says

> Knoppix does not pick up the 2TB drive so i can't edit the fstab to get
> rid of the entries i put in.

What version of Knoppix ?
ISTR there's a disk size limit of around 2Tb+ after which you need a UEFI BIOS
to handle the drive - or at least a BIOS that can handle GPT partition format
disks.

What's the motherboard in this machine ?

> Could someone please tell me how the f*** to edit fstab?

I think my first move would be to physically disconnect the 3 smaller drives,
and try booting then - just the data cables, you can leave the power cables
connected if that helps. Bet you've tried that by now

Cheers
Nick
--
Never FDISK after midnight

Old 06-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Mark Panen

When i reboot grub appears and then i get a message "Please wait

I think you'd better tell us what some of that doodookaka actually says

Knoppix does not pick up the 2TB drive so i can't edit the fstab to get
rid of the entries i put in.

What version of Knoppix ?
ISTR there's a disk size limit of around 2Tb+ after which you need a UEFI BIOS
to handle the drive - or at least a BIOS that can handle GPT partition format
disks.

What's the motherboard in this machine ?

Could someone please tell me how the f*** to edit fstab?

I think my first move would be to physically disconnect the 3 smaller drives,
and try booting then - just the data cables, you can leave the power cables
connected if that helps. Bet you've tried that by now

Cheers
Nick

My bad sorry, i had to enable the AHCI in Marvell in the BIOS.

--
Cheers
Mark