Old 04-10-2008, 07:35 PM
tom arnall

Default browsers have become memory hogs

all of a sudden browsers have become memory hogs on my system (>95%). i've
tried iceweasel, opera, galeon. all with the same result. i'm running debian
etch.

thanks,

tom arnall
arcata

Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 PM
tom arnall

On Thursday 10 April 2008 12:45, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/10/08 14:35, tom arnall wrote:
> > all of a sudden browsers have become memory hogs on my system (>95%).
> > i've
>
> I don't see how a single process could use 95% of memory on a 32-bit
> system.
>
> > tried iceweasel, opera, galeon. all with the same result. i'm running
> > debian etch.
>
> Have you performed any updates lately? Installed non-debianized
> software?
>
> How long does it take for the browsers to suck up all that
> un-specified amount of memory?
>
> How many tabs and windows do you have open?
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA
>
> We want... a Shrubbery!!

ooops! thanks for the comment. it's %CPU:

Tasks: 91 total, 3 running, 88 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 96.3%us, 3.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.7%si,
0.0%sMem: 499536k total, 433168k used, 66368k free, 8848k buffers
Swap: 1253028k total, 276k used, 1252752k free, 178316k cached

6889 kloro 25 0 114m 62m 15m R 95.2 12.8 0:17.70 opera
3010 root 15 0 215m 16m 4264 S 4.6 3.3 2:25.32 Xorg
1 root 15 0 1948 648 552 S 0.0 0.1 0:01.00 init
2 root RT 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 migration/0

Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 PM
"Steve Lamb"

On Thu, April 10, 2008 12:45 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> I don't see how a single process could use 95% of memory on a 32-bit
> system.

I can. FF2.x was just painful on my laptop. It only has 256Mb and what
i used to be able to do just a few years ago (Firefox, Thunderbird and
gaim ne pidgin all open until the machine rebooted) I can barely manage
for an hour or two now. FF3 has helped but I'm finding that it and
XFCE4 are the primary hogs of memory.

After a fresh login I'll have about 40-50Mb used, 0 swap. After a few
hours of FF2.x I'd be maxed on memory and pushing 2/3rds of my 256Mb of
swap. Close FF and most of the memory and swap go away. FF3 doesn't
get that high but it still pushes my machine into swap without much
trouble. What really gets me is after 2-3 days logged in I'll exit
TBird, FF3 and Pidgin and be right back where I was when I logged in.
Just XFCE4 loaded. 70-80Mb used, another 30-50Mb in the swap. I log
out of XFCE4, log back in, 40-50Mb used, 0 swap. :/

--
Steve Lamb

Old 04-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Thursday 10 April 2008 21:45:32 Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/10/08 14:35, tom arnall wrote:
> > all of a sudden browsers have become memory hogs on my system (>95%).
> > i've
>
> I don't see how a single process could use 95% of memory on a 32-bit
> system.
>
> > tried iceweasel, opera, galeon. all with the same result. i'm running
> > debian etch.
>
> Have you performed any updates lately? Installed non-debianized
> software?
>
> How long does it take for the browsers to suck up all that
> un-specified amount of memory?
>
> How many tabs and windows do you have open?
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA
>
> We want... a Shrubbery!!

I got the same problem-sid- and it is npviewer which is eating something up to
17% CPU per tab. I think I am going to the thing...
Thierry

Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 PM
tom arnall

On Thursday 10 April 2008 13:25, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Thu, April 10, 2008 12:45 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > I don't see how a single process could use 95% of memory on a 32-bit
> > system.
>
> I can. FF2.x was just painful on my laptop. It only has 256Mb and
> what i used to be able to do just a few years ago (Firefox, Thunderbird and
> gaim ne pidgin all open until the machine rebooted) I can barely manage for
> an hour or two now. FF3 has helped but I'm finding that it and XFCE4 are
> the primary hogs of memory.
>
> After a fresh login I'll have about 40-50Mb used, 0 swap. After a few
> hours of FF2.x I'd be maxed on memory and pushing 2/3rds of my 256Mb of
> swap. Close FF and most of the memory and swap go away. FF3 doesn't
> get that high but it still pushes my machine into swap without much
> trouble. What really gets me is after 2-3 days logged in I'll exit
> TBird, FF3 and Pidgin and be right back where I was when I logged in.
> Just XFCE4 loaded. 70-80Mb used, another 30-50Mb in the swap. I log
> out of XFCE4, log back in, 40-50Mb used, 0 swap. :/
>
> --
> Steve Lamb

very much my experience with FF. that's why i went to opera, which was fine
for a few weeks, until y'day when it jumped through the ceiling, tho' my
problem seems cpu hogging, not memory.

tom arnall

Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
andy

Thierry Chatelet wrote:

all of a sudden browsers have become memory hogs on my system (>95%).
i've

I don't see how a single process could use 95% of memory on a 32-bit
system.

tried iceweasel, opera, galeon. all with the same result. i'm running
debian etch.

Have you performed any updates lately? Installed non-debianized
software?

How long does it take for the browsers to suck up all that
un-specified amount of memory?

How many tabs and windows do you have open?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

We want... a Shrubbery!!

I got the same problem-sid- and it is npviewer which is eating something up to
17% CPU per tab. I think I am going to the thing...
Thierry

I have been running Iceweasel in the background for the last 3 days. I
am running approx 3% swap (on 1 GB allocated) and according to top
Firefox-bin uses ~10.6% mem. This is just running FF in the background
(minimised)

Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 PM
tom arnall

On Thursday 10 April 2008 14:14, andy wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't see how a single process could use 95% of memory on a 32-bit
> >> system.

> >> Have you performed any updates lately? Installed non-debianized
> >> software?
> >>
> >> How long does it take for the browsers to suck up all that
> >> un-specified amount of memory?
> >>
> >> How many tabs and windows do you have open?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> >> Jefferson LA USA
> >>
> >> We want... a Shrubbery!!
> >
> > I got the same problem-sid- and it is npviewer which is eating something
> > up to 17% CPU per tab. I think I am going to the thing...
> > Thierry
>
> I have been running Iceweasel in the background for the last 3 days. I
> am running approx 3% swap (on 1 GB allocated) and according to top
> Firefox-bin uses ~10.6% mem. This is just running FF in the background
> (minimised)

what are you doing that we're not? those figures look great to me.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:07 PM
tom arnall

On Thursday 10 April 2008 14:14, andy wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't see how a single process could use 95% of memory on a 32-bit
> >> system.

> >> Have you performed any updates lately? Installed non-debianized
> >> software?
> >>
> >> How long does it take for the browsers to suck up all that
> >> un-specified amount of memory?
> >>
> >> How many tabs and windows do you have open?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> >> Jefferson LA USA
> >>
> >> We want... a Shrubbery!!
> >
> > I got the same problem-sid- and it is npviewer which is eating something
> > up to 17% CPU per tab. I think I am going to the thing...
> > Thierry
>
> I have been running Iceweasel in the background for the last 3 days. I
> am running approx 3% swap (on 1 GB allocated) and according to top
> Firefox-bin uses ~10.6% mem. This is just running FF in the background
> (minimised)

and what does CPU% look like?