Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Lisi

Default unique install question?

On Wednesday 13 June 2012 19:55:19 Julien Claassen wrote:
> Knoppix did support blind users as well. There is Vinux, which is a Debian
> version specially compiled for blind users.

Julien -

Vinux is based on Ubuntu, not Debian, and I do not like it. I am partially
sighted, not fully blind, but could not get on with it at all. The large
icons (well, largish) and text are skin deep only, and all menus and things
were running in the usual tiny print and were therefore unusable. I also
thought that its speech was bad, and was thankful that I didn't need to use
it.

I found Knoppix-Adriane vastly better. Highly usable with adequate speech and
a lot of text (so much easier to work with without pictures etc. messing up
the text image). The version I saw was basically sans serif black on white.
Great for me, though I realise that it would be less helpful to some others.
I did not try to run it in speech because I am still very incompetent at
that.

Klaus Knopper wrote Knoppix-Adriane for, and with the collaboration of, his
wife Adriane, who is partially sighted. I have version 6.2.1, and like it,
but have not yet looked at version 7.x.x .

Lisi

Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Lisi

Hi, Julien!

On Wednesday 13 June 2012 20:42:04 Julien Claassen wrote:
> Debian has much more to offer to me as a blnd
> user and it's more stable. :-)

+1 Much better also for a partially sighted user. I use Lenny with KDE
3.5.10, which is highly configurable, and I have configured it for me!

I shall soon move kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and use Squeeze
with TDE 3.5.13. (Trinity Desktop Environment, the continuation of KDE
3.5.x). It would, of course be better from most points of view to move
straight to Wheezy. But TDE for Wheezy isn't ready yet, so I shall have park
in Squeeze for a bit.

Nothing else is as configurable as KDE 3.5.x. Only TDE, its continuation. I
have tried several alternatives. Most are just too fond of bling, at the
expense of functionality.

If I can persuade any of my blind friends to use Linux, I may pick your brains
on Debian for the blind. I always prefer to use Debian for everything.

Best wishes,
Lisi

Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Karen Lewellen

Hi lisi,
Thank you!
what your post shows, and what I honestly stopped trying to express is
this.

There is no such thing as a so called one size fits all blind user.

Like every single aspect of the human experience, sight loss is a 100%
individual thing.
Just like sight presence. to claim that everyone uses anything the same is
well...
as nonsensical as claiming every rose is the same, or that everyone paints
like Picasso...and not everyone cares for him!
a buffet of options with an individual deciding what works from them
uniquely is a far more productive stance than the efforts at uniformity.
I realize those efforts are rooted in the human condition called
insecurity.
The fear of appreciating both what makes us treasured individual
works of human art, and what we share as humans in a common way.
But we have overcome limited thinking about others things before and can
again.
I appreciate the motivation behind vinux, but frankly feel like much
comparative conversation that it does the individual a disservice.
after all, my working from the accessibility is the same dictionary is how I
got into the install mess I was in to start with...lol.

Back to my seat in the corner,
Karen