-   -   something about dropbox (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/677363-something-about-dropbox.html)

lina 06-26-2012 03:38 PM

something about dropbox

Hi,

I haven't used the dropbox yet, now downloading.

want to hear some comments about the dropbox,

both cons and pros are welcome.

Thanks with best regards,

Glenn English 06-26-2012 03:57 PM

something about dropbox

On Jun 26, 2012, at 9:38 AM, lina wrote:

> want to hear some comments about the dropbox,

I did some editing for a podcaster once. He used DB
to send me the raw recordings. Worked fine...

--
Glenn English
hand-wrapped from my Apple Mail

Patrick Bartek 06-26-2012 04:48 PM

something about dropbox

> I haven't used the dropbox yet, now downloading.
>
>want to hear some comments about the dropbox,
>
>both cons and pros are welcome.

Have it install on all my machines: *Windows XP, Linux--several flavors, and Mac OSX. *Installed easily. *No problems. *Performs as advertised.

rjc 06-26-2012 05:50 PM

something about dropbox

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:38:48PM BST, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't used the dropbox yet, now downloading.
>
> want to hear some comments about the dropbox,
>
> both cons and pros are welcome.

+ multi-OS
+ easy to configure
+ available through web browser

- closed source
- Intel binary only [0]
- not WebDAV access [1]
- no CLI-only mode [2]
- untrusted 3rd party (EULA, Policy)
- no P2P (LAN-only) support [3]
- size (5GB) [4]
- not really for advanced use [5]

[0] I run Linux on SPARC, PowerPC and ARM (more and more popular nowadays)

[1] https://www.box.com/ does support WebDAV so you can access your files
with anything that speaks WebDAV
(box.com has a max 100MB size limit though)

[2] it still requires running within X session

[3] it still requires connection to the Internet

[4] box.com offered 50GB if signed up using an Android device

[5] have a look at Joey's git-annex assistant
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joeyh/git-annex-assistant-like-dropbox-but-with-your-own

rjc

Denis Witt 06-26-2012 07:02 PM

something about dropbox

rjc schrieb:

> + multi-OS + easy to configure + available through web browser

ACK

+ "Camera Upload" with Auto-Gallery
+ RSS-Feed for changed files
+ Files are easily linkable for sharing
+ LAN-Sync, when a file is created/changed and another of your Dropbox-
Machines are in the same Network the files will be transferred over
this network rather than being uploaded to Dropbox first an then
downloaded from there
+ If you upload a file that some other Dropbox user has uploaded before
the file will be copied into your Dropbox without upload
+ Upload and Download Bandwidth could limited

> - no CLI-only mode [2]

That's not correct. You can install and use it without having X
installed. I did it so on one of the servers in the office. There is a
CLI script written in python which is officially supported:

https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py

To install Dropbox without X you can follow this howto:
https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx

I'm using Dropbox on all of my machines (3 Macs, 2 Linux-Server, 1
Windows-PC, iPhone and iPad) but I would prefer a fully encrypted
service where I can use my very own private Key. "Unfortunately" my free
Account has been extended to more than 10GB and this keeps me using it.

Anyway if you have some critical data you can use Tools like Truecrypt
(which is available for every platform Dropbox supports) to encrypt them
by creating a Truecrypt-Container in your Dropbox-Folder. This works
fine even with a rather large container (or several ones), as Dropbox
only uploads the changed part of the file. I've used Dropbox as a paid
user some time ago and had a Virtual Machine in my Folder (25GB virtual
HDD).

- - Upgrading to Pro-Account is rather expensive.
(Compared to normal Webspace, Server-Hosting, etc.)
- - Files could not be synced between your Machines only
without being uploaded to Dropbox
- - A joined shared folder will use up your own quota

By for now!

rjc 06-26-2012 07:48 PM

something about dropbox

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 08:02:00PM BST, Denis Witt wrote:
> That's not correct. You can install and use it without having X
> installed. I did it so on one of the servers in the office. There is a
> CLI script written in python which is officially supported:

Yes, you are right.

I had Dropbox <-> Nautilus in my head. I do remember seeing dropbox.py
script somewhere, for some reason I assumed that it's a CLI control
for already (X bound) running Dropbox.

Thank you for correcting me.

Having a quick look it still is not does not off a real daemon mode -
you need to use terminal multiplexer (i.e. tmux, dtach, screen, etc.)

Ta,
--
rjc

Brad Alexander 06-26-2012 08:09 PM

something about dropbox

Not to be the downer in this conversation, but from a security
standpoint, there was a finding that dropbox's configuration file was
stored insecurely on all OSes [1] [3]. This appears to have been fixed
in late 2011.

However, the other issue is that dropbox uses the same
dropbox-controlled key to encrypt all users files. [2] [3] This allows
dropbox (or their employees) to decrypt any files. You can consider
the ramifications of this.

[1] http://dereknewton.com/2011/04/dropbox-authentication-static-host-ids/
[2] http://eggfreckles.net/notes/from-dropbox-to-spideroak/
[3] http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/7211/dropbox-flaws-techsnap-1/

--b

Jon Dowland 06-26-2012 08:33 PM

something about dropbox

Dropbox is not backup. I have witnessed a faulty USB drive (upon which the
Dropbox folder was stored) present itself as empty to the OS: the dropbox
daemon happily and efficiently made sure that the online folder matched.

Denis Witt 06-26-2012 08:51 PM

something about dropbox