Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Randall

Default kvm - mount usb device in windows guest

hi all,

for a certain web application i need an IE browser with an usb device
containing a security key (the USB is formatted as a isofs)

my idea was to simply run a windows copy on a server with KVM, logon
with RDP and use that to connect to that dreaded website, it all works
except that i can't see a way to mount a USB, i thought it would be
simple to:

create an image (+- 1GB)
have it attached as usb within the guest
have the contents of the original usb copied to the image

can't get it done using virt-manager and can find little info to edit
the xml file as such.

again, i'm not looking to mount the original USB via passthrough, just
to have a virtual/fake usb drive mimicking the behavior as originally
intended.

anybody has a clue?

Archive: 4FE9B152.9040104@songshu.org">http://lists.debian.org/4FE9B152.9040104@songshu.org

Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 PM
green

Randall wrote at 2012-06-26 07:55 -0500:
> again, i'm not looking to mount the original USB via passthrough,
> just to have a virtual/fake usb drive mimicking the behavior as
> originally intended.

With simple kvm, you can connect a USB device to the guest OS using
command-line options or after booted using the interface accessed with
ctrl-alt-2.

But I am not sure about connecting a virtual usb drive; first you need to
acquire an image of the flash disk, with dd perhaps? Then, the kvm man page
describes how to connect an image as a usb mass storage device.