Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Nathan D'elboux

Default Wireless network not found

Hey everyone,

I cannot find my home ADSL Billion router SSID to connect to from my laptop.

I have Squeeze running on a Toshiba Satellite P200, it has the wireless chipset Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61).
I also use a billion 7800N wireless router. So far every device i have (Ipad, wifes laptop and phones etc) can connect to the billion without a hitch.

On my laptop i cannot find the SSID of my router. at first i thought it was a wirelss N issue (ie my laptop didnt support N) but its apparently not the issue as i have portable wireless hotspot with runs on N and i can use that AP fine from the laptop.

Some output of iwconfig from the laptop

wlan0**** IEEE 802.11abgn* ESSID:"XXXX_XXXX"*
********* Mode:Managed* Frequency:2.412 GHz* Access Point: CC:96DDD:43**
********* Bit Rate=54 Mb/s** Tx-Power=14 dBm**
********* Retry* long limit:7** RTS thrff** Fragment thrff
********* Encryption keyff
********* Power Managementff
********* Link Quality=53/70* Signal level=-57 dBm*
********* Rx invalid nwid:0* Rx invalid crypt:0* Rx invalid frag:0
********* Tx excessive retries:0* Invalid misc:0** Missed beacon:0

I have obviously changed the mac address and ESSID of the AP i am currently using.

I have searched around of a hardware support list of the Billion 7800N but cannot find any correlation between the chipset i use and my router. I have also attempted to connect to the AP via manually entering the SSID name and pass-phrase but it just cant find it.

Ideally i would have a spectrum analysis device to help find exactly what frequency they are running on and see if there were any other interferences going on, But since this isnt an intermittent issue and the fact i have never seen my home SSID show up when searching for it makes me think its a chipset issue.

If anyone could suggest something i havent tried yet or expose me to similar experiences you may have had that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time everyone!

Nathan.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 21:39:06 +1000, Nathan D'elboux wrote:

> I cannot find my home ADSL Billion router SSID to connect to from my
> laptop.
>
> I have Squeeze running on a Toshiba Satellite P200, it has the wireless
> chipset Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or
> AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61). I also use a billion 7800N
> wireless router. So far every device i have (Ipad, wifes laptop and
> phones etc) can connect to the billion without a hitch.
>
> On my laptop i cannot find the SSID of my router. at first i thought it
> was a wirelss N issue (ie my laptop didnt support N) but its apparently
> not the issue as i have portable wireless hotspot with runs on N and i
> can use that AP fine from the laptop.

Just in case, if the AP allows to define a mixed protocol (a/b/g/n),
select that instead "only n". I've faced many problems with older Intel
wireless cards (Centrino based chipset) to join to modern access points.

In addition, you can configure the AP to do not hide the SSID and
broadcasts over the network. This can help, sometimes...

> Some output of iwconfig from the laptop
>
> wlan0**** IEEE 802.11abgn* ESSID:"XXXX_XXXX"
^^^^

Good, that means the AP is capable to handle all those.

> ********* Mode:Managed* Frequency:2.412 GHz* Access Point:
> ********* CC:96DDD:43 Bit Rate=54 Mb/s** Tx-Power=14 dBm
> ********* Retry* long limit:7** RTS thrff** Fragment thrff
> ********* Encryption keyff
> ********* Power Managementff
> ********* Link Quality=53/70* Signal level=-57 dBm Rx invalid
> ********* nwid:0* Rx invalid crypt:0* Rx invalid frag:0 Tx
> ********* excessive retries:0* Invalid misc:0** Missed beacon:0
>
> I have obviously changed the mac address and ESSID of the AP i am
> currently using.

(...)

Mmm... but your laptop is seeing the AP, what's the problem then, that
you can't pair/associate your wireless card to it? :-?

I would run N-M (or whatever applet/tool you are using to configure the
network adapter settings) and then try to establish a connection. While
doing so, open a terminal and as root type:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

There should be more information about the process that is taking place
in background.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Nathan D'elboux

Hi Camaleon,

Thanks for your response, I should have clarified earlier sorry that the iwconfig output I pasted below is the output if it connected to my portable hotspot at the time I was writing the email. Not my billion home Adsl that I'm having trouble with

The SSID is currently broadcasted but you are correct also about a/b/g/n is available. I will disable these to make N the only speed available

I will attempt these few tweaks when I get a chance tonight

Cheers
Nathan

Old 06-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 07:58:46 +1000, Nathan D'elboux wrote:

(reply goes to the bottom)

> On 27/06/2012, at 1:18 AM, "Camaleón" <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> Mmm... but your laptop is seeing the AP, what's the problem then, that
>> you can't pair/associate your wireless card to it? :-?
>>
>> I would run N-M (or whatever applet/tool you are using to configure the
>> network adapter settings) and then try to establish a connection. While
>> doing so, open a terminal and as root type:
>>
>> tail -f /var/log/syslog
>>
>> There should be more information about the process that is taking place
>> in background.

> Hi Camaleon,
>
> Thanks for your response, I should have clarified earlier sorry that the
> iwconfig output I pasted below is the output if it connected to my
> portable hotspot at the time I was writing the email. Not my billion
> home Adsl that I'm having trouble with

Ouch!

> The SSID is currently broadcasted but you are correct also about a/b/g/n
> is available. I will disable these to make N the only speed available

Just note that both, the AP and your wireless card(s) have to support the
choosen speed, that is, if your wifi card(s) can only work at "g" speed
your AP has to be set to support only "g" (or "g" alongside "n" → b/g/n).

> I will attempt these few tweaks when I get a chance tonight

Don't forget to review the syslog! :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Nathan D'elboux

Hi Camaleon,
Thanks for your advice,
>>if your wifi card(s) can only work at "g" speedÂ*> your AP has to be set to support only "g" (or "g" alongside "n" → b/g/n).>

So it turned out that the router had a specific frequency set instead of auto or all frequencies. I changed that to auto and then i could find the SSID from my laptop .. progress!!!
IÂ*couldn'tÂ*authenticate so after i changed the p/w of the SSID i still could not get on. The AP was set on b/g/n where once i set it to g/n only i could authenticate and get an IP
I kept an eye on /var/log/daemon.log to see what output the kernel had to say. Was very informative.
Thanks for your help and point in the right direction!
Nathan