-   -   areca backup folder to samba shared folder (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/677229-areca-backup-folder-samba-shared-folder.html)

Umarzuki Mochlis 06-26-2012 07:06 AM

areca backup folder to samba shared folder

Hi,

I found that on my Debian amd64 laptop (have not tried 32-bit version
yet) that I cannot set mounted samba shared folder as local folder.
But this can be done on Windows 2003 & Windows 7.

Any workaround? Or maybe I had missed a thing or two?

Thanks.

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Camaleón 06-26-2012 03:02 PM

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:06:55 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> I found that on my Debian amd64 laptop (have not tried 32-bit version
> yet) that I cannot set mounted samba shared folder as local folder. But
> this can be done on Windows 2003 & Windows 7.
>
> Any workaround? Or maybe I had missed a thing or two?

Uh? Yes, you should can :-?

How did you setup the samba share local folder? IIRC, you have to use
cifs (mount -t cifs ...). Once you have check the manual mount point is
nicely done and works as you want you can add the samba share to your "/
etc/fstab" so it gets mounted on every boot.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Umarzuki Mochlis 06-26-2012 04:12 PM

2012/6/26 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:06:55 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>
>> I found that on my Debian amd64 laptop (have not tried 32-bit version
>> yet) that I cannot set mounted samba shared folder as local folder. But
>> this can be done on Windows 2003 & Windows 7.
>>
>> Any workaround? Or maybe I had missed a thing or two?
>
> Uh? Yes, you should can :-?
>
> How did you setup the samba share local folder? IIRC, you have to use
> cifs (mount -t cifs ...). Once you have check the manual mount point is
> nicely done and works as you want you can add the samba share to your "/
> etc/fstab" so it gets mounted on every boot.

maybe it cannot be used because i use nautilus to mount the samba
share folder instead of command line?

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Camaleón 06-26-2012 04:19 PM

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 00:12:17 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> 2012/6/26 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:06:55 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>>
>>> I found that on my Debian amd64 laptop (have not tried 32-bit version
>>> yet) that I cannot set mounted samba shared folder as local folder.
>>> But this can be done on Windows 2003 & Windows 7.
>>>
>>> Any workaround? Or maybe I had missed a thing or two?
>>
>> Uh? Yes, you should can :-?
>>
>> How did you setup the samba share local folder? IIRC, you have to use
>> cifs (mount -t cifs ...). Once you have check the manual mount point is
>> nicely done and works as you want you can add the samba share to your
>> "/ etc/fstab" so it gets mounted on every boot.
>
> maybe it cannot be used because i use nautilus to mount the samba share
> folder instead of command line?

To use Areca Backup I recall that you needed a samba volume mounted
locally, yes. If Nautilus is accesing the share via "smb://" the trick
does not work (in fact, that's one of the reasons I stopped using Areca's
solution :-) )

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Umarzuki Mochlis 06-27-2012 07:42 AM

2012/6/27 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 00:12:17 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

>>> Uh? Yes, you should can :-?
>>>
>>> How did you setup the samba share local folder? IIRC, you have to use
>>> cifs (mount -t cifs ...). Once you have check the manual mount point is
>>> nicely done and works as you want you can add the samba share to your
>>> "/ etc/fstab" so it gets mounted on every boot.
>>
>> maybe it cannot be used because i use nautilus to mount the samba share
>> folder instead of command line?
>
> To use Areca Backup I recall that you needed a samba volume mounted
> locally, yes. If Nautilus is accesing the share via "smb://" the trick
> does not work (in fact, that's one of the reasons I stopped using Areca's
> solution :-) )

do you have any suggestion for open source backup software that can
backup to samba & do block level backup while the source is still
running?

preferrably would be able to run on linux and windows client

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Camaleón 06-27-2012 03:00 PM

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:42:12 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> 2012/6/27 Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>:

(...)

>>> maybe it cannot be used because i use nautilus to mount the samba
>>> share folder instead of command line?
>>
>> To use Areca Backup I recall that you needed a samba volume mounted
>> locally, yes. If Nautilus is accesing the share via "smb://" the trick
>> does not work (in fact, that's one of the reasons I stopped using
>> Areca's solution :-) )
>>

> do you have any suggestion for open source backup software that can
> backup to samba & do block level backup while the source is still
> running?
>
> preferrably would be able to run on linux and windows client

You can still use Areca but you have to mount the samba share in your
linux client instead just accessing it, as simple as issuing "mount -t
cifs -o ..." before you want to run the backup routine and umount it when
you finish; you shouldn't face any problem with this :-?

I can't recommend any application because I finally moved to "tar" which
I thought it was going to be the most reliable solution in the end :-),
but Wikipedia has an extensible list of backup sofware that can give you
some ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backup_software

Greetings,

--