Old 06-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Umarzuki Mochlis

Default delta block backup

Hi,

I want to backup my Documents folder using Areca Backup and I want to
know if one full backup (once a month) and daily delta blocks backup
to office's network folder would be enough for a successful restore if
my laptop have a drive failure?

>From what I understand, delta blocks backup is a more efficient for
saving storage space, isn't it?

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://debmal.my

Old 06-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Jochen Spieker

Umarzuki Mochlis:

> I want to backup my Documents folder using Areca Backup and I want to
> know if one full backup (once a month) and daily delta blocks backup
> to office's network folder would be enough for a successful restore if
> my laptop have a drive failure?

I don't know about Areca, but usually you only need one full backup to
be able to restore the data from that point in time. For delta (or
incremental) backups, you need all the deltas + one full backup to
restore to the most recent backup version.

J.
--
I eat meat and am concerned about bugs which are resistant to
antibiotics.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:46:27 +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> I want to backup my Documents folder using Areca Backup and I want to
> know if one full backup (once a month) and daily delta blocks backup to
> office's network folder would be enough for a successful restore if my
> laptop have a drive failure?

I used Areca backup in the past, nice tool.

To restore your whole backup archive you'll need the first full backup
file and every delta you have produced afterwards.

I prefer using differential backups instead incremental/delta ones
because it facilitates the restoration process (you only need two files).
The drawback is that it takes more space.

> From what I understand, delta blocks backup is a more efficient for
> saving storage space, isn't it?

Yes, is more eficient, but a complete restoration of the backed data will
require that all of the small deltas to be there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón