-   -   How to find list of backports for Debian squeeze? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/677066-how-find-list-backports-debian-squeeze.html)

MPR 06-25-2012 07:20 PM

How to find list of backports for Debian squeeze?

How can I find a list of all available backports for Debian squeeze?
Google and DDG turn up nothing relevant. I searched this list's
archives and also didn't find anything. Leaving the search field blank
on http://backports-master.debian.org/Packages/ only returns an error.
The backports FAQ doesn't say anything.

So, is there a list available? I want to browse and see what the
options are before I install Debian on my computer.

Per Carlson 06-25-2012 08:16 PM

How to find list of backports for Debian squeeze?

> How can I find a list of all available backports for Debian squeeze?

For amd64:

wget http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/dists/squeeze-backports/{main,contrib,non-free}/binary-amd64/Packages.gz
-q -O - | zcat | awk '/^Package/ { p = $2 }; /^Version/ { printf
"%-40s %s
", p, $2 }' | sort

Yeah, it's quite lengthy, but the output looks nice.

In case you don't have a host available where the above can be
executed, I'll unicast the output from the commands.

--
Pelle

"D’ä e å, vett ja”, skrek ja, för ja ble rasen,
”å i åa ä e ö, hörer han lite, d’ä e å, å i åa ä e ö"
- Gustav Fröding, 1895

MPR 06-25-2012 08:58 PM

How to find list of backports for Debian squeeze?

Thanks, Pelle, for both the command and the output. That's just what I needed.

Andrei POPESCU 06-26-2012 07:38 AM

On Lu, 25 iun 12, 12:20:24, MPR wrote:
> How can I find a list of all available backports for Debian squeeze?
> Google and DDG turn up nothing relevant. I searched this list's
> archives and also didn't find anything. Leaving the search field blank
> on http://backports-master.debian.org/Packages/ only returns an error.
> The backports FAQ doesn't say anything.
>
> So, is there a list available? I want to browse and see what the
> options are before I install Debian on my computer.

echo 'deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main contrib non-free' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/squeeze-backports.list
aptitude update
aptitude search ~Obackports

See also the aptitude manual for search and/or output options.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Camalen 06-26-2012 02:25 PM

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:20:24 -0700, MPR wrote:

> How can I find a list of all available backports for Debian squeeze?
> Google and DDG turn up nothing relevant. I searched this list's archives
> and also didn't find anything. Leaving the search field blank on
> http://backports-master.debian.org/Packages/ only returns an error. The
> backports FAQ doesn't say anything.

I think backport packages are now included at the usual web search
facility:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Not an ordered list, though, you have to type the name of the package or
something that can be searched (filename, description...).

> So, is there a list available? I want to browse and see what the options
> are before I install Debian on my computer.

Maybe here? :-?

http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/indices/

Greetings,

--