Old 06-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

Default problems with nautilus

This is debian amd-64 wheezy+some sid.

I need to open mautilus with the system password, so am opening a
terminal window
and issuing:

sudo nautilus &

--- nothing happens, no nautilus, no error message. the issuing
only

nautilus &

which opens nautilus, and gives an error message:

"kjetil@kjetil:~$ Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

[5] Done nautilus
"

Any ideas?

Kjetil

--
"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
human face - forever."

George Orwell (1984)

Old 06-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:00:47 -0400, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> This is debian amd-64 wheezy+some sid.
>
> I need to open mautilus with the system password, so am opening a
> terminal window
> and issuing:
>
> sudo nautilus &

(...)

How about the usual method, instead?

gksu nautilus &

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Darac Marjal

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 02:00:47PM -0400, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
> This is debian amd-64 wheezy+some sid.
>
> I need to open mautilus with the system password, so am opening a
> terminal window
> and issuing:
>
> sudo nautilus &
>
> --- nothing happens, no nautilus, no error message. the issuing
> only
>
> nautilus &
>
> which opens nautilus, and gives an error message:
>
> "kjetil@kjetil:~$ Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>
> [5] Done nautilus
> "
>
> Any ideas?

Looking at the manpage for nautilus
(http://linux.die.net/man/1/nautilus), you might want to try:

$ sudo nautilus --browser file:///

or just:

$ sudo nautilus file:///

The man page suggests the URI is mandatory and the last time I used
nautilus, I seem to remember that the default is to run as a desktop
manager; the '--browser' flag should give you the window you want.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

see inline!

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 02:00:47PM -0400, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>> This is debian amd-64 wheezy+some sid.
>>
>> I need to open mautilus with the system password, so am opening a
>> terminal window
>> and issuing:
>>
>> sudo nautilus &
>>
>> --- nothing happens, no nautilus, no error message. the issuing
>> only
>>
>> nautilus &
>>
>> which opens nautilus, and gives an error message:
>>
>> "kjetil@kjetil:~$ Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>>
>> [5] * Done * * * * * * * * * *nautilus
>> "
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Looking at the manpage for nautilus
> (http://linux.die.net/man/1/nautilus), you might want to try:
>
> *$ sudo nautilus --browser file:///
>
> or just:
>
> *$ sudo nautilus file:///

Thanks for the help, but there is some strange interaction here with
sudo and &, because
sudo nautilus (without the &)
_does_ work!

Kjetil