Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
ChadDavis

Default alternatives with ad hoc installation

I'm installing, by hand, a java7 distribution that doesn't exist in
the repositories. Is it feasible to use the alternatives mechanism to
work with ad hoc installations like this? In other words, I've
"installed" the java 7 jdk into /usr/local/jdk1.7.0.

I just want to check whether it's completely whacky, or hacky, to
pursue the path of using the alternatives mechanism with something
like this. For instance, maybe it only works with installed packages
. . .

I'm basically look for a red light or green light on the notion of
investigating this solution further.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:04:37 -0600, ChadDavis wrote:

> I'm installing, by hand, a java7 distribution that doesn't exist in the
> repositories. Is it feasible to use the alternatives mechanism to work
> with ad hoc installations like this? In other words, I've "installed"
> the java 7 jdk into /usr/local/jdk1.7.0.

(...)

I'd say yes, because this is how it has been done since always so I see
no compelling reasons for this has stopped from working now.

But if you look for a confirmation of someone who did that before, I'm
not that person, maybe Google can help:

http://alexander.holbreich.org/2011/11/java-7-on-debian/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Camaleón

El 2012-06-25 a las 11:28 -0600, ChadDavis escribió:

(back to the list)

> >> I'm installing, by hand, a java7 distribution that doesn't exist in the
> >> repositories. *Is it feasible to use the alternatives mechanism to work
> >> with ad hoc installations like this? *In other words, I've "installed"
> >> the java 7 jdk into /usr/local/jdk1.7.0.
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > I'd say yes, because this is how it has been done since always so I see
> > no compelling reasons for this has stopped from working now.
> >

> To clarify, are you saying that the alternatives system is relatively
> distinct, as a mechanism, from the .deb packaging system?

I mean I'd expect you can use the update-alternatives system to choose
the java binary you want to call when you run "java". And I also expect
this is still true for the new Oracle Java 7 version.

Last time I installed a Java JRE from Oracle site I downloaded a .bin
file that I had to install and setup as usual (there were installation
instructions at their site), hope this is still true for the new java
version.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón