FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-25-2012, 02:28 PM
"John W. Foster"
 
Default Synaptic preferences question

I want to have Synaptic automatically download & display the process of
of the download of all the packages I have in the sources.list when it
first is opened. I do not 'see' this happening now. It may be doing it
but I don't know for sure, since it only pops up the download window
when I key it to update manually. Any suggestions?
frosty


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1340634487.32334.3.camel@beast.home">http://lists.debian.org/1340634487.32334.3.camel@beast.home
 
Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 09:28 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> I want to have Synaptic automatically download & display the process of
> of the download of all the packages I have in the sources.list when it
> first is opened. I do not 'see' this happening now. It may be doing it
> but I don't know for sure, since it only pops up the download window
> when I key it to update manually. Any suggestions?
> frosty

It might be my broken English, a cup of cheap wine too much, I dunno,
but I don't understand what you want.

"update manually" is for pushing the "Reload"-button?
"all the packages I have in the sources.list" is for what? All packages
provided by your repositories? All packages you've got installed?
"display the process of the download"? Synaptic does display all
processes, as soon as you give your okay to upgrade. If you just update
repository information, no package will be downloaded, neither a process
like "ldconfig" would be launched.

*?*
Ralf


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1340636187.1349.67.camel@localhost.localdomain
 
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:28:07 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:

> I want to have Synaptic automatically download & display the process of
> of the download of all the packages I have in the sources.list when it
> first is opened. I do not 'see' this happening now. It may be doing it
> but I don't know for sure, since it only pops up the download window
> when I key it to update manually. Any suggestions? frosty

I can be wrong but I thought the "reload" takes place automatically when
Synaptic is open :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsa0p6$6df$7@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 06-25-2012, 03:48 PM
"John W. Foster"
 
Default Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 16:56 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 09:28 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> > I want to have Synaptic automatically download & display the process of
> > of the download of all the packages I have in the sources.list when it
> > first is opened. I do not 'see' this happening now. It may be doing it
> > but I don't know for sure, since it only pops up the download window
> > when I key it to update manually. Any suggestions?
> > frosty
>
> It might be my broken English, a cup of cheap wine too much, I dunno,
> but I don't understand what you want.
>
> "update manually" is for pushing the "Reload"-button?
Yep
> "all the packages I have in the sources.list" is for what? All packages
> provided by your repositories?
again yep
> All packages you've got installed?
No
> "display the process of the download"?
i.e the popup that shows the actual execution of the download of each
repository. when I hit the reload button
> Synaptic does display all
> processes, as soon as you give your okay to upgrade.
correct
> If you just update
> repository information, no package will be downloaded, neither a process
> like "ldconfig" would be launched.
not relevant to my question

I will refine the question;
Is there any way to have synaptic do the package update automatically
when I execute the application. i.e run 'apt-get update';

I do not currently see that happening. I must hit the reload button each
time I open synaptic. That option does not appear in preferences.
Thanks!
frosty


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1340639318.32334.13.camel@beast.home">http://lists.debian.org/1340639318.32334.13.camel@beast.home
 
Old 06-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> I can be wrong but I thought the "reload" takes place automatically when
> Synaptic is open :-?

No it doesn't and it's good that it doesn't. When using a GUI to manage
packages, one of the reasons to do this, is to get information, without
having the need to search the web OR TO UPDATE repository information
for perhaps just 1 or 10000000000000000000000 repositories. An upgrade
for 10000000000000000000000 repositories might be a little bit annoying
for some of us, with a limited lifespan.

For some needs directly using CLI or a script is the better choice,
Synaptic is quiet good for some other needs.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1340639432.1349.90.camel@localhost.localdomain
 
Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
"John W. Foster"
 
Default Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:28:07 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
>
> > I want to have Synaptic automatically download & display the process of
> > of the download of all the packages I have in the sources.list when it
> > first is opened. I do not 'see' this happening now. It may be doing it
> > but I don't know for sure, since it only pops up the download window
> > when I key it to update manually. Any suggestions? frosty
>
> I can be wrong but I thought the "reload" takes place automatically when
> Synaptic is open :-?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Exactly my reason for this question. I believe that should occur.
However I do not "see' that activity, there is no popup screen &
I seem to be required to do it manually.
This is not any kind of rant. I just want to know what my system is
doing, by having the visual que that the popup screen provides. I
'believe' that this 'reload' is not occuring because of the time
required for the screen to open to the synaptic menue. Its damn quick to
open to the menu (about 2 seconds)& when I manually hit the reload
button it takes a few seconds (about 5 seconds)for it to finish but it
shows the activity in the popup.
Thanks!
frosty



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1340639975.32334.23.camel@beast.home">http://lists.debian.org/1340639975.32334.23.camel@beast.home
 
Old 06-25-2012, 04:08 PM
"John W. Foster"
 
Default Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 17:50 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > I can be wrong but I thought the "reload" takes place automatically when
> > Synaptic is open :-?
>
> No it doesn't and it's good that it doesn't.
Thank you! This is the answer I needed, as well as the following
explanation as to why.

> When using a GUI to manage
> packages, one of the reasons to do this, is to get information, without
> having the need to search the web OR TO UPDATE repository information
> for perhaps just 1 or 10000000000000000000000 repositories. An upgrade
> for 10000000000000000000000 repositories might be a little bit annoying
> for some of us, with a limited lifespan.
I actually never thought of synaptic from the information aspect. Good
point.

> For some needs directly using CLI or a script is the better choice,
> Synaptic is quiet good for some other needs.

I will handle it by altering the opening script. I still do believe it
would be a good idea to offer it in preferences.
again Thanks!
frosty



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1340640487.32334.28.camel@beast.home">http://lists.debian.org/1340640487.32334.28.camel@beast.home
 
Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 10:48 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> Is there any way to have synaptic do the package update automatically
> when I execute the application. i.e run 'apt-get update';

AFAIK no. Since I used Suse package management GUIs, I prefer the .deb
way not to upgrade the repository information automatically, when using
Synaptic. Even with a default of a few repositories, a language
repository might hang for minutes, while you simple wish to know what
files are installed by a package, you already installed.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1340640584.1349.103.camel@localhost.localdomain
 
Old 06-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 11:08 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
> I still do believe it would be a good idea to offer it in preferences.

I don't need it, but I agree that such an option is good.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1340640770.1349.105.camel@localhost.localdomain
 
Old 06-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:59:35 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:40 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:28:07 -0500, John W. Foster wrote:
>>
>> > I want to have Synaptic automatically download & display the process
>> > of of the download of all the packages I have in the sources.list
>> > when it first is opened. I do not 'see' this happening now. It may be
>> > doing it but I don't know for sure, since it only pops up the
>> > download window when I key it to update manually. Any suggestions?
>> > frosty
>>
>> I can be wrong but I thought the "reload" takes place automatically
>> when Synaptic is open :-?
>>
>
> Exactly my reason for this question. I believe that should occur.
> However I do not "see' that activity, there is no popup screen & I seem
> to be required to do it manually.

When you first launch Synaptic, there's no pop-up screen nor more
information for the "reload" but there still should be run, and that's
why it takes a bit of time to get Synaptic available and ready to work.

> This is not any kind of rant. I just want to know what my system is
> doing, by having the visual que that the popup screen provides. I
> 'believe' that this 'reload' is not occuring because of the time
> required for the screen to open to the synaptic menue. Its damn quick
> to open to the menu (about 2 seconds)& when I manually hit the reload
> button it takes a few seconds (about 5 seconds)for it to finish but it
> shows the activity in the popup.

I don't use Synaptic ever day (I prefer "apt-get update") but true is
that I don't recall seeing the reload status screen unless I manually
trigger the "Reload" button. Never thought this was not normal.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsa368$6df$10@dough.gmane.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org