Old 06-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Ralf Mardorf

Default Synaptic preferences question

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 16:21 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> there still should be run, and that's
> why it takes a bit of time to get Synaptic available and ready to work.

No, you're mistaken. Synaptic DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPGRADE REPOSITORY
INFORMATION. If Synaptic should do by default, I would go more nuts than
I already do. I'm Suse proved and I know you're too, so I suspect you
confuse Suse's YaST or even Smart with Synaptic.

Again, there are good reasons to use CLI or scripts and there are other
good reasons to use a GUI tool like Synaptic.
I do "both", regarding to my needs.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:31:41 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 16:21 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> there still should be run, and that's why it takes a bit of time to get
>> Synaptic available and ready to work.
>
> No, you're mistaken. Synaptic DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPGRADE REPOSITORY
> INFORMATION.

Ralf, there's no need to shout.

> If Synaptic should do by default, I would go more nuts than I already
> do. I'm Suse proved and I know you're too, so I suspect you confuse
> Suse's YaST or even Smart with Synaptic.

(...)

No, I don't confuse the tools. I read it time ago but don't remember
where. Let me do a quick Google search... don't recall it was an article
from Ubuntu wiki but this can be better than nothing:

***
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto#Updating_the_Package_List

"Updating the Package List

Click Reload or press Ctrl + R to make Synaptic aware of the latest
updates and any changes to the list of repositories.

Although this is done automatically when you open Synaptic it can be a
good idea to update the database from time to time while running
Synaptic. (...)"
***

However, I don't know if this still remains true for the current Debian
version of Synaptic.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 16:56 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> However, I don't know if this still remains true for the current
> Debian version of Synaptic.

I don't know, at least current version for AVLinux (theoretically Debian
stable) and my dropped "real" Debian stable and testing installs's
Synaptic don't/didn't do. Ubuntu Maverick's, Oz[...]'s and Precise's
Synaptic don't do.

Btw. pardon "BIG LATTER" shouldn't be for a "shout", i simply want to
color it in red, without using HTML ;P.

- Ralf

PS: I call one version of Ubuntu Oz, because I like Oz ... not really
the old musical, but ... try a guess .

Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Ralf Mardorf

> PS: I call one version of Ubuntu Oz, because I like Oz ... not really
> the old musical, but ... try a guess .

A hint, no "little Myron's thumberland" (or the comic it's based on,
Nemo, Nemo) and no "Alice"-dsl .

Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 19:19 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > PS: I call one version of Ubuntu Oz, because I like Oz ... not really
> > the old musical, but ... try a guess .
>
> A hint, no "little Myron's thumberland" (or the comic it's based on,
^^^^^^^^^^^^ slumberland
> Nemo, Nemo) and no "Alice"-dsl .

I wish I could find a link to the Marshmallow-Cartoon of "Little Myron's
slumberland".

Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Emil Payne