Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 PM

Default Re (5): Dying Iceweasel.

From: <noelamac@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:38:23 +0000 (UTC)
> That they stick to the default browser (e.g., Epiphany)?

I just reread http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/epiphany-browser
and http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/iceweasel . The first is sub-titled
"Intuitive GNOME web browser". Without your advice I would refrain from
attempting to use it in LXDE. Neither page addresses the questions of "why
use this browser?" or "which browser for me?".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers helps but
something specific to Debian is needed.

Also I read http://wiki.debian.org/WebBrowsers . It gives links but no
comparisons. Appears that the page could have a discussion or feature
matrix to help with choice. If anyone knows of such a document, please
give the link.

> ... I'm not an aptitude user, I always go with apt-get, ...

FWIIW you've suggested another possibility for operating
Linux from Oberon. Interesting.

Two or three years back someone advised me to "get with it"
and use aptitude. Everyone has favourite tools. Certainly
the interface of aptitude is good in the sense of user
oriented and task oriented.

TTFN, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202. Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary "

Old 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 15:26:39 -0700, peasthope wrote:

> From: <noelamac@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:38:23 +0000 (UTC)
>> That they stick to the default browser (e.g., Epiphany)?

Side note: when I said "e.g., Epiphany" I meant the default browser that
comes with your current installation, being Epiphany for GNOME, Konqueror
for KDE, and so on... of course, I can't list all of the default browser
available on every single installation, YMMV ;-)

> I just reread http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/epiphany-browser and
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/iceweasel . The first is sub-titled
> "Intuitive GNOME web browser". Without your advice I would refrain from
> attempting to use it in LXDE. Neither page addresses the questions of
> "why use this browser?" or "which browser for me?".
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers helps but
> something specific to Debian is needed.

The election of a web browser is always based on the users own choice and
their preferences. I can like Firefox and deeply hate Chrome but others
can say exactly the opposite. Another users do like Opera even being a
closed source browser. What I want to say is that there is no one size
that fits to all here mainly because there are now many browser well
suited and prepared to deal with the current Internet, when not so long
time ago there were just a bunch of applications that were really capable
to manage the sites.

In brief: you, as a web user, have to read the pros and cons of every web
browser (what they provide, how they look, have confortable are for
you...) and choose one by your own.

> Also I read http://wiki.debian.org/WebBrowsers . It gives links but no
> comparisons. Appears that the page could have a discussion or feature
> matrix to help with choice. If anyone knows of such a document, please
> give the link.

The best "white paper" is that you try and test (and it's free). You can
install all the browsers over a secondary computer or inside a VM (to
avoid messing up your current system) and play with them :-)

>> ... I'm not an aptitude user, I always go with apt-get, ...
>
> FWIIW you've suggested another possibility for operating Linux from
> Oberon. Interesting.

I don't recall that :-?

> Two or three years back someone advised me to "get with it" and use
> aptitude. Everyone has favourite tools. Certainly the interface of
> aptitude is good in the sense of user oriented and task oriented.

When I arrived to Debian (back to 2009), "aptitude" was indeed the
recommended tool but I couldn't get used to it, so started using apt-get
and until now it has been serving me quite well :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón