Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Soare Catalin

Default DHCP + DNS questions

Hello everyone,

I've setup a dhcp+dns server on a small box where I've installed
debian wheezy. It is for home use, as I happen to have a retarded
router from my ISP which is unable to hold reservations.

I've installed both isc-dhcp-server ( 4.2.2) and bind9 (9.8.1), and
they both work fine for all clients I connect to them, except for one
small detail: the dhcp server seems unable to add dns entries. (With
other words, everyone gets an IP and internet, but I'm unable to get
things to work internally, don't know who has what IP).

This is my first setup of this kind on GNU Linux, so I'm sure I made
mistakes on almost every step, so please bare with me on this.
I have attached the config files, again, they only work separately
(clients get IP, and DNS is getting resolved for clients, but I cannot
ping a device.home.net for example). I have to mention that I've
rewritten them many times upon trying and retrying different guides I
found on the internet . The current config still works tho, for
clients who don't need local DNS.

My /var/log/syslog file, upon adding a new device to the network says:

Jun 24 23:59:25 debSRV dhcpd: uid lease 192.168.1.55 for client
14:7d:c5:01:df:8c is duplicate on 192.168.1.0/24
Jun 24 23:59:25 debSRV dhcpd: ns.home.net: temporary name server failure
Jun 24 23:59:25 debSRV dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.53 from
14:7d:c5:01:df:8c via eth0
Jun 24 23:59:25 debSRV dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.1.53 to
14:7d:c5:01:df:8c via eth0
Jun 24 23:59:25 debSRV dhcpd: Unable to add forward map from
workphone.home.net. to 192.168.1.53: not found
Jun 24 23:59:25 debSRV dhcpd: Wrote 0 deleted host decls to leases file.
Jun 24 23:59:25 debSRV dhcpd: Wrote 0 new dynamic host decls to leases file.
Jun 24 23:59:25 debSRV dhcpd: Wrote 9 leases to leases file.

Does anyone know what this means and/or how to solve it?

Thank you in advance,
Catalin

Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 25 iun 12, 01:09:36, Soare Catalin wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've setup a dhcp+dns server on a small box where I've installed
> debian wheezy. It is for home use, as I happen to have a retarded
> router from my ISP which is unable to hold reservations.
>
> I've installed both isc-dhcp-server ( 4.2.2) and bind9 (9.8.1), and
> they both work fine for all clients I connect to them, except for one
> small detail: the dhcp server seems unable to add dns entries. (With
> other words, everyone gets an IP and internet, but I'm unable to get
> things to work internally, don't know who has what IP).

In my experience dnsmasq is much better suited for this kind of setup:

1. install it (and get rid of bind and isc-dhcp-server)
2. list your hosts in /etc/hosts
3. configure the simplest DHCP network in /etc/dnsmasq.conf
4. Enjoy

At step 3. you might need to set up static leases for your machines as
well, but I'm not sure...

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Soare Catalin

On Jun 25, 2012 10:07 AM, "Andrei POPESCU" <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Lu, 25 iun 12, 01:09:36, Soare Catalin wrote:

> > Hello everyone,

> > I've setup a dhcp+dns server on a small box where I've installed

> > debian wheezy. It is for home use, as I happen to have a retarded

> > router from my ISP which is unable to hold reservations.

> > I've installed both isc-dhcp-server ( 4.2.2) and bind9 (9.8.1), and

> > they both work fine for all clients I connect to them, except for one

> > small detail: the dhcp server seems unable to add dns entries. (With

> > other words, everyone gets an IP and internet, but I'm unable to get

> > things to work internally, don't know who has what IP).

> In my experience dnsmasq is much better suited for this kind of setup:

> 1. install it (and get rid of bind and isc-dhcp-server)

> 2. list your hosts in /etc/hosts

> 3. configure the simplest DHCP network in /etc/dnsmasq.conf

> 4. Enjoy

> At step 3. you might need to set up static leases for your machines as

> well, but I'm not sure...

> Kind regards,

> Andrei

> --

> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:

Sorry for replying so late, but only last evening I had a chance to try it out.

I removed both bind server and isc-dhcp-server and installed dnsmasq. It was very easy to setup.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Soare Catalin