Old 06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Eike Lantzsch

Default iceweasel 13.0.1 for Wheezy?

Hi y'all:

Following the recent discussion of slowness:
How do I get Iceweasel 13.0.1 for Wheezy?
I had no problem apt-get[ing] it for Sid but on Wheezy I'm stuck with
10.0.5esr-1.

I got this:
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/iceweasel.experimental.list
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free

but
apt-get install -t experimental iceweasel
only tells me that I already got the newest version of Iceweasel.

I concluded that I get 10.0.5 as release but the recent discussion seemed to
imply that 13.0.1 is the release-version for Sid as well as for Wheezy.
That left me headscratching ...

Thanks and regards,
Eike

Old 06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Du, 24 iun 12, 13:45:14, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> I got this:
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/iceweasel.experimental.list
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free
>
> but
> apt-get install -t experimental iceweasel
> only tells me that I already got the newest version of Iceweasel.

What does 'apt-cache policy iceweasel' say?

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 06-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Eike Lantzsch

On Sunday 24 June 2012 13:55:24 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 24 iun 12, 13:45:14, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > I got this:
> > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/iceweasel.experimental.list
> > deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free
> >
> > but
> > apt-get install -t experimental iceweasel
> > only tells me that I already got the newest version of Iceweasel.
>
> What does 'apt-cache policy iceweasel' say?
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

apt-cache policy iceweasel
iceweasel:
Installed: 10.0.5esr-1
Candidate: 10.0.5esr-1
Package pin: 13.0.1-1
Version table:
13.0.1-1 700
600 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
600 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
*** 10.0.5esr-1 700
1000 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I think I got the pinning wrong

/etc/apt/preferences

Package: wine
Pin: release l=WineHQ APT Repository
Pin-Priority: 1000

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1000

Package: *
Pin: origin www.deb-multimedia.org
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=squeeze
Pin-Priority: 800

#Package: *
#Pin: release a=testing
#Pin-Priority: 700

Package: iceweasel
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: *
Pin: release a=sid
Pin-Priority: 500

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=lenny
Pin-Priority: 200

Package: *
Pin: origin www.ibiblio.org
Pin-Priority: 610

Package: *
Pin: origin www.argon.org
Pin-Priority: 620

Thank you for your concern
Eike

Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Du, 24 iun 12, 14:20:47, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> apt-cache policy iceweasel
> iceweasel:
> Installed: 10.0.5esr-1
> Candidate: 10.0.5esr-1
> Package pin: 13.0.1-1
> Version table:
> 13.0.1-1 700
> 600 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
> 600 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages

This looks like you have two sources for experimental, get rid of one.

> *** 10.0.5esr-1 700
> 1000 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> I think I got the pinning wrong

The values have specific meaning, it's not enough to have just some
value bigger than the other one.

> /etc/apt/preferences
>
> Package: wine
> Pin: release l=WineHQ APT Repository
> Pin-Priority: 1000
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 1000

A pin bigger than 990 and smaller or equal to 1000 has a special
meaning, see 'man apt_preferences'. Try downgrading this to 990.

> Package: *
> Pin: origin www.deb-multimedia.org
> Pin-Priority: 900
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian,a=squeeze
> Pin-Priority: 800
>
> #Package: *
> #Pin: release a=testing
> #Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: iceweasel
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 700
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 600
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=sid
> Pin-Priority: 500
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 400

Here you have two pins for the same archive (sid is unstable and will
not change)

> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian,a=lenny
> Pin-Priority: 200

Do you need lenny?

> Package: *
> Pin: origin www.ibiblio.org
> Pin-Priority: 610
>
> Package: *
> Pin: origin www.argon.org
> Pin-Priority: 620

Generally I advocate much simpler pinning, especially if you are not
familiar with it.

If you would explain what exactly you are trying to achieve (i.e. which
release do you want to use in general, for which packages do you need
exceptions and why, etc.) then we might suggest something much simpler
and more maintainable. Don't forget to also post all your sources.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Eike Lantzsch

Thank you Andrei! You are very kind.

"SOLVED" as far as Iceweasel is concerned.
"partly" because I'm still struggling with understanding of pinning.

On Sunday 24 June 2012 15:36:15 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 24 iun 12, 14:20:47, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > apt-cache policy iceweasel
> >
> > iceweasel:
> > Installed: 10.0.5esr-1
> > Candidate: 10.0.5esr-1
> > Package pin: 13.0.1-1
> > Package: wine

> > Version table:
> > 13.0.1-1 700
> >
> > 600 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386
> > Packages 600 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main
> > i386 Packages
>
> This looks like you have two sources for experimental, get rid of one.
I did now.

> > *** 10.0.5esr-1 700
> >
> > 1000 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
> >
> > 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> >
> > I think I got the pinning wrong
I think I got the understanding wrong too.

> The values have specific meaning, it's not enough to have just some
> value bigger than the other one.
I started reading up on it.

> > /etc/apt/preferences
> >
> > Package: wine
> > Pin: release l=WineHQ APT Repository
> > Pin-Priority: 1000
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
> > Pin-Priority: 1000
>
> A pin bigger than 990 and smaller or equal to 1000 has a special
> meaning, see 'man apt_preferences'. Try downgrading this to 990.
OK, I did that - see file contents below

> > Package: *
> > Pin: origin www.deb-multimedia.org
> > Pin-Priority: 900
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release o=Debian,a=squeeze
> > Pin-Priority: 800
> >
> > #Package: *
> > #Pin: release a=testing
> > #Pin-Priority: 700
> >
> > Package: iceweasel
> > Pin: release a=experimental
> > Pin-Priority: 700
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=experimental
> > Pin-Priority: 600
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=sid
> > Pin-Priority: 500
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=unstable
> > Pin-Priority: 400
>
> Here you have two pins for the same archive (sid is unstable and will
> not change)
Outch! I knew it, I knew it!

> > Package: *
> > Pin: release o=Debian,a=lenny
> > Pin-Priority: 200
>
> Do you need lenny?
No.

> > Package: *
> > Pin: origin www.ibiblio.org
> > Pin-Priority: 610
Cruft

> > Package: *
> > Pin: origin www.argon.org
> > Pin-Priority: 620
Cruft

> Generally I advocate much simpler pinning, especially if you are not
> familiar with it.
I agree

> If you would explain what exactly you are trying to achieve (i.e. which
> release do you want to use in general, for which packages do you need
> exceptions and why, etc.) then we might suggest something much simpler
> and more maintainable. Don't forget to also post all your sources.
Yep. See below, please.

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

What I want:
Stay with Wheezy when it's become Stable. At least for a while.
Get my packages mainly from Debian official.
Get from multimedia what I cannot get from Debian official.
Stay tuned with Skype
Stay tuned with Firefox (Iceweasel)
Get Google-maps

What I did after reading your counsel:
Delete cruft from sources.list and preferences
then
aptitude -t experimental install iceweasel

What happened:
Iceweasel 13.0.1 was installed.
Me: happy, hooray!

After making the changes
apt-cache policy iceweasel
looks like this and I managed to install Iceweasel 13.0.1

iceweasel:
Installed: 13.0.1-1
Candidate: 13.0.1-1
Package pin: 13.0.1-1
Version table:
*** 13.0.1-1 700
1 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
10.0.5esr-1 700
990 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages

My /etc/apt/sources.list is now:
#

# want to stay on Wheezy after it becomes stable ... at least for awhile
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib

# skype official site
deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free
#deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ testing non-free

#tovid (not using tovid at the present since devede 3.22.0 is working fine)
#deb http://tovid.sourceforge.net/download/debian testing contrib
#deb-src http://tovid.sourceforge.net/download/debian testing contrib

# proxy (gave that up some time ago)
# deb http://192.168.0.40:9999/debian testing main contrib non-free

# kernel (no need)
# deb http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/ trunk main

## Google software repository:
## http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/apt.html
## reminder: (wget -q -O - https://dl-
ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add - )
## or (gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv A040830F7FAC5991 &&
gpg --export --armor A040830F7FAC5991 | sudo apt-key add - )
## Quoted cause of index failure (who was mentioning this??)
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ testing non-free

## Opera webbrowser:
#deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ testing non-free
# Couldn't find the phantom anyway

## Tor:
# deb http://mirror.noreply.org/pub/tor testing main
#Yes I am one, I know, but not using Tor for browsing

## Debian Multimedia - Christian Marrillat repository:
# now in /etc/apt/sources.d/
#deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main
#deb-src http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main

## All experimental repositories:

## Debian experimental mirrors:
#deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org experimental main
# don't know if this helps much

## All unstable repositories:
# nix - nada - zilch

/etc/apt/sources.d has the following files:

deb-multimedia.org.list
google-earth.list
iceweasel.experimental.list

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb-multimedia.org.list
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ wheezy main non-free

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth.list
deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main
# this gets Priority 100 automatically if not mentioned in preferences, right?

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/iceweasel.experimental.list
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free

/etc/apt/preferences:

Pin: release l=WineHQ APT Repository
Pin-Priority: 1000
# do I need this? I'm downloading and installing packages from
http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 990

Package: *
Pin: origin www.deb-multimedia.org
Pin-Priority: 900
# Want to get from multimedia what I cannot get from Debian official

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=squeeze
Pin-Priority: 800
# Do I use anything off Squeeze? To my knowledge not ...

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700
# Why testing again?

Package: iceweasel
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 700
# Do I need this? I'm only using iceweasel from experimental.

Package: *
Pin: release a=sid
Pin-Priority: 500

#Package: *
#Pin: origin www.ibiblio.org
#Pin-Priority: 610
# no need for packages from ibiblio at the present

Thanky you again. You got me going and this on a Sunday night.
Kind regards,
Eike

Old 06-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Du, 24 iun 12, 17:21:17, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> What I want:
> Stay with Wheezy when it's become Stable. At least for a while.
> Get my packages mainly from Debian official.
> Get from multimedia what I cannot get from Debian official.
> Stay tuned with Skype
> Stay tuned with Firefox (Iceweasel)
> Get Google-maps
>
> What I did after reading your counsel:
> Delete cruft from sources.list and preferences
> then
> aptitude -t experimental install iceweasel
>
> What happened:
> Iceweasel 13.0.1 was installed.
> Me: happy, hooray!

Ok

> After making the changes
> apt-cache policy iceweasel
> looks like this and I managed to install Iceweasel 13.0.1
>
> iceweasel:
> Installed: 13.0.1-1
> Candidate: 13.0.1-1
> Package pin: 13.0.1-1
> Version table:
> *** 13.0.1-1 700
> 1 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 10.0.5esr-1 700
> 990 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
>
> My /etc/apt/sources.list is now:
> #
>
> # want to stay on Wheezy after it becomes stable ... at least for awhile
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib

Add non-free to security as well

> # skype official site
> deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free
> #deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ testing non-free
>
> #tovid (not using tovid at the present since devede 3.22.0 is working fine)
> #deb http://tovid.sourceforge.net/download/debian testing contrib
> #deb-src http://tovid.sourceforge.net/download/debian testing contrib
>
> # proxy (gave that up some time ago)
> # deb http://192.168.0.40:9999/debian testing main contrib non-free
>
> # kernel (no need)
> # deb http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/ trunk main
>
> ## Google software repository:
> ## http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/apt.html
> ## reminder: (wget -q -O - https://dl-
> ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add - )
> ## or (gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv A040830F7FAC5991 &&
> gpg --export --armor A040830F7FAC5991 | sudo apt-key add - )
> ## Quoted cause of index failure (who was mentioning this??)
> deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ testing non-free
>
> ## Opera webbrowser:
> #deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ testing non-free
> # Couldn't find the phantom anyway
>
> ## Tor:
> # deb http://mirror.noreply.org/pub/tor testing main
> #Yes I am one, I know, but not using Tor for browsing
>
> ## Debian Multimedia - Christian Marrillat repository:
> # now in /etc/apt/sources.d/
> #deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main
> #deb-src http://www.deb-multimedia.org testing main
>
> ## All experimental repositories:
>
> ## Debian experimental mirrors:
> #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib non-free
> deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org experimental main
> # don't know if this helps much

Umm, experimental?

> ## All unstable repositories:
> # nix - nada - zilch
>

> /etc/apt/sources.d has the following files:
>
> deb-multimedia.org.list
> google-earth.list
> iceweasel.experimental.list
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/deb-multimedia.org.list
> deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ wheezy main non-free
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-earth.list
> deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main
> # this gets Priority 100 automatically if not mentioned in preferences, right?

No, default priority is 500, unless the repository itself sets it lower.

> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/iceweasel.experimental.list
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free
>

> /etc/apt/preferences:
>
> Pin: release l=WineHQ APT Repository
> Pin-Priority: 1000
> # do I need this? I'm downloading and installing packages from
> http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 990

Good, but you should change 'a=testing' to 'n=wheezy' and if you drop
the o=Debian it will apply to all wheezy repositories (like Marillat).
Another way to achieve the same is to declare a Default-Release in
apt.conf, like:

echo 'APT:efault-Release "wheezy";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00default-release

(you might need to create the directory apt.conf.d before that)

> Package: *
> Pin: origin www.deb-multimedia.org
> Pin-Priority: 900
> # Want to get from multimedia what I cannot get from Debian official

The Marillat versions his packages they may overriding packages from the
Debian repositories. I set this to 100. One must use -t to install
packages from it, but you get automatic updates.

> Package: *
> Pin: release o=Debian,a=squeeze
> Pin-Priority: 800
> # Do I use anything off Squeeze? To my knowledge not ...

Then get rid of it. The default priority of 500 will be fine anyway.

> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 700
> # Why testing again?

Remove it

> Package: iceweasel
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 700

If you just want to install stuff from experimental you don't need a pin
for it, -t will work with the default priority of 1 (experimental is
setting it like this). If you want to get automatic updates for specific
packages you have installed priority 100 is enough, but...

If you want to stick with wheezy experimental is not a good idea for the
long run, much better to use mozilla.debian.net with no pinning (it has
a wheezy repository).

> Package: *
> Pin: release a=experimental
> Pin-Priority: 700
> # Do I need this? I'm only using iceweasel from experimental.

No, it's even dangerous.

> Package: *
> Pin: release a=sid
> Pin-Priority: 500

Default priority is 500, you don't need to set it explicitly.

Remember that when two repositories have same priority the highest
version will be installed. This is why most of the times you don't need
to set anything else but the Default-Release (=priority 990). Also

apt-cache policy

and

apt-cache policy <package>

Are extremely helpful to show you what APT thinks of your pinning before
installing/upgrading stuff.

Kind regards,
Andrei