Old 06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Randy Kramer

Default Debian 5.0: Capturing audio from a web page?

I'm (still) using Debian 5.0 (Lenny, iirc).

I want to capture some audio from a web page.

Is there an application typically installed in Debian 5.0 that will help me do
that. (krec does not seem to work--maybe Debian is using ALSA rather than
aRts?)

OTOH, I started to try to use ffmpeg, but the instructions I was following say
I need a version of ffmpeg compiled with ALSA support, and the version of
ffmpeg that is installed does not have ALSA support.

Can somebody point me in the right (simple) direction?

Even answering (or telling me how to answer) some simple questions, like:
* is my system using aRts or ALSA?
* is my system using gstreamer or pulseaudio?
* is there a precompiled (binary) version of ffmpeg for Debian 5.0 with
ALSA support compiled in?
* ???

Thanks!
Randy Kramer

Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Darac Marjal

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 01:28:37PM -0400, Randy Kramer wrote:
> I'm (still) using Debian 5.0 (Lenny, iirc).
>
> I want to capture some audio from a web page.
>
> Is there an application typically installed in Debian 5.0 that will help me do
> that. (krec does not seem to work--maybe Debian is using ALSA rather than
> aRts?)
>
> OTOH, I started to try to use ffmpeg, but the instructions I was following say
> I need a version of ffmpeg compiled with ALSA support, and the version of
> ffmpeg that is installed does not have ALSA support.
>
> Can somebody point me in the right (simple) direction?

I think I would start by looking at how the web page is playing the
audio. If it's a simple background audio file (e.g. an <embed> or
<object> tag), then you should be able to simply fetch the file
yourself.

If, however, the audio is being streamed by a flash/java/silverlight/etc
player, then you will need to look deeper.

> Even answering (or telling me how to answer) some simple questions, like:
> * is my system using aRts or ALSA?

Conceivably, it could be using both. ALSA is the set of sound drivers
that the kernel uses to talk to your sound card; aRts, esd and nowadays
pulse are all audio managers that sit on top of OSS or ALSA.

You can probably see what sound systems you have by playing a wav file
through "play" (OSS), "aplay" (ALSA), "artsplay" (aRts), "esdplay"
(ESounD) and "paplay" (Pulse). If any commands don't exist, or don't
play the wav, then you're not using that system.

> * is my system using gstreamer or pulseaudio?
> * is there a precompiled (binary) version of ffmpeg for Debian 5.0 with
> ALSA support compiled in?

I would suggest using OSS (play, record etc). IIRC, Debian 5.0 would
have been around the time that ALSA was supplanting OSS, so either
you're still using OSS or you'll have ALSA with OSS compatibility
enabled.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Gary Dale

[...]

Back to basics. The web page is viewed through a browser. FlashGot is a
Firefox/Iceweasel plug-in that captures multimedia content from web pages.

Archive: 4FE85EA5.6030401@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FE85EA5.6030401@rogers.com

Old 06-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Ralf Mardorf

I don't use jack for stuff like this, but I suspect it will do this job
too:
http://jackaudio.org/routing_flash
http://jackaudio.org/gstreamer_via_jack
http://jackaudio.org/routing_phonon
http://jackaudio.org/faq

There indeed are several ways to get sound from flash, but I like to
introduce jack ;p.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 13:11 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
> You can probably see what sound systems you have by playing a wav file
> through "play" (OSS), "aplay" (ALSA), "artsplay" (aRts), "esdplay"
> (ESounD) and "paplay" (Pulse). If any commands don't exist, or don't
> play the wav, then you're not using that system.

Thank you that you didn't mention jackd , 'cause jackd is professional
and easy to use, while all the other sound servers are consumer crap and
you need to read tons of manuals to use them ... many people experience
stuff like pulseaudio as not working with their sound devices, so they
drop Linux and use Windoof instead. I'm not talking about the pro-audio
Linux users, our cards don't work with pulseaudio, but we know what to
do. Pulseaudio is one of Linux serious issues, that cause that folks who
are Windoof users, testing Linux, will drop Linux forever and instead
they'll follow Windoof.

> I would suggest using OSS (play, record etc). IIRC, Debian 5.0 would
> have been around the time that ALSA was supplanting OSS, so either
> you're still using OSS or you'll have ALSA with OSS compatibility
> enabled.

For Lenny OSS already should be obsolete. The backend always should be
ALSA and not OSS. And please use ALSA directly or jackd only. Btw. Jack2
seems to be more reliable on some machines.

- Ralf

Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:58 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> For Lenny OSS already should be obsolete. The backend always should be
> ALSA and not OSS. And please use ALSA directly or jackd only. Btw. Jack2
> seems to be more reliable on some machines.

PS: I don't have Lenny installed anymore and the Internet doesn't inform
about the state regarding to jackd packages for Lenny. It might be that
by packages only jack1 or only jack2 is available and there might be no
way to choose which jack should be used, when installing packages from
regular repositories. I can't remember. However, that time 64 Studio was
based on Lenny and assumed the 64 Studio repositories still should
exist, jack2 should be available as package and perhaps all that "link
flash etc. to jackd"-stuff too. Note that 64 Studio is a serious
repository, IIRC at least Robin from the crew does work for Debian
Multimedia today.