Old 06-24-2012, 03:49 PM
john gennard

Default unstable web browsers

On 12/06/12 16:45, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

On Ma, 12 iun 12, 11:57:13, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

If you still can't get it to work send the file to me directly and I'll
quote the relevant parts (or upload it all to the paste).

John sent it to me directly, but I can't spot anything wrong so I
uploaded it to the paste:
http://paste.debian.net/174133/

Kind regards,
Andrei

I have still not been able to get rid of this problem, and think I should
try to reconfigure Xorg. As I understand, the commandline as changed
between Debian 5.0 and 6.05 - could some please let me know the
correct reconfigure instruction for 6.05.

I have eliminated problems with the mouse. Also, I've used a small partition
on the drive and installed Win XP and this works perfectly thus eliminating
problems with the graphic card.

John.

Archive: 4FE73717.9000606@btinternet.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FE73717.9000606@btinternet.com

Old 06-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Andrei POPESCU

On Du, 24 iun 12, 16:49:43, john gennard wrote:

> I have eliminated problems with the mouse. Also, I've used a small partition
> on the drive and installed Win XP and this works perfectly thus eliminating
> problems with the graphic card.

Would it be feasible for you to try the kernel and Xorg from backports?

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 06-25-2012, 07:50 AM
john gennard

I have eliminated problems with the mouse. Also, I've used a small partition
on the drive and installed Win XP and this works perfectly thus eliminating
problems with the graphic card.

Would it be feasible for you to try the kernel and Xorg from backports?

I presume so. I've read the backports web page and it seems simple
enough to use.

Do you mean recompiling the kernel?

Regards,

John.

Archive: 4FE81851.4000304@btinternet.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FE81851.4000304@btinternet.com

Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Andrei POPESCU

On Lu, 25 iun 12, 08:50:41, john gennard wrote:
> On 24/06/12 18:19, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >On Du, 24 iun 12, 16:49:43, john gennard wrote:
> >>I have eliminated problems with the mouse. Also, I've used a small partition
> >>on the drive and installed Win XP and this works perfectly thus eliminating
> >>problems with the graphic card.
> >Would it be feasible for you to try the kernel and Xorg from backports?
> I presume so. I've read the backports web page and it seems simple
> enough to use.

For single packages it is very easy, just

apt-get install -t squeeze-backports <package>

but I don't know exactly which package to pull for Xorg. I would try
xserver-xorg-video-radeon and hope it will pull anything else needed
with it

> Do you mean recompiling the kernel?

No, there is a 3.2 kernel on backports (it has bpo in it's name).

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 06-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Lisi

On Monday 25 June 2012 11:36:06 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> For single packages it is very easy, just
>
> * * apt-get install -t squeeze-backports <package>

Andrei -

John will need to add backports to his sources.list, surely. Or has he
already done so, and I have been asleep?

Lisi

Old 06-25-2012, 04:12 PM
john gennard

For single packages it is very easy, just

apt-get install -t squeeze-backports<package>

Andrei -

John will need to add backports to his sources.list, surely. Or has he
already done so, and I have been asleep?

Lisi

Yes, I had already done that. Thanks.

John.

Archive: 4FE88DEF.1070609@btinternet.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FE88DEF.1070609@btinternet.com

Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
john gennard

I have eliminated problems with the mouse. Also, I've used a small partition
on the drive and installed Win XP and this works perfectly thus eliminating
problems with the graphic card.

Would it be feasible for you to try the kernel and Xorg from backports?

I presume so. I've read the backports web page and it seems simple
enough to use.

For single packages it is very easy, just

apt-get install -t squeeze-backports<package>

but I don't know exactly which package to pull for Xorg. I would try
xserver-xorg-video-radeon and hope it will pull anything else needed
with it

Hm! I've tried that, but it seems I shall have to upgrade my kernel.

The error message is:-

"This version of xserver-xorg-video-nouveau is linked against a newer
libdrm-nouveau which breaks the ABI and is not compatible with kernel
<= 2.6.33. You need to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.34 -rcl or newer.
Sven Joachim"