FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Merciadri Luca
 
Default Slowness problem

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> Okay, then no, ram should not be a issue here.
>
>>> When that happens, run "top" and look for the CPU and MEM columns.
>
> Top command output would be interesting :-)
Tasks: 203 total, 2 running, 201 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 14.0%us, 1.9%sy, 0.0%ni, 84.1%id, 0.0%wa, 0.1%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 4150284k total, 1712896k used, 2437388k free, 376712k buffers
Swap: 6080560k total, 0k used, 6080560k free, 523364k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
3749 root 20 0 67588 36m 11m S 57 0.9 13:02.61 Xorg
27653 merciadr 20 0 299m 68m 26m S 21 1.7 0:08.76 firefox-bin
4051 merciadr 20 0 47784 16m 8740 S 1 0.4 0:03.36 gnome-settings-
4073 merciadr 20 0 17988 9456 7572 S 1 0.2 0:08.36 metacity
27171 merciadr 20 0 45288 14m 9.8m R 1 0.3 0:00.46 gnome-terminal
4074 merciadr 20 0 55864 30m 12m S 0 0.8 0:55.14 gnome-panel
1 root 20 0 2104 688 588 S 0 0.0 0:01.22 init
2 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 kthreadd
3 root RT -5 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.02 migration/0
4 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:02.42 ksoftirqd/0
5 root RT -5 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 watchdog/0
6 root RT -5 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 migration/1
7 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.70 ksoftirqd/1
8 root RT -5 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00 watchdog/1
9 root RT -5 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.02 migration/2
10 root 15 -5 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.78 ksoftirqd/2
11 root RT -5 0 0 0 S 0 0.0 0:00.00
watchdog/2

with a brand new firefox (i.e. virgin profile) on youtube.com; if I
scroll really quickly, I get up to 106 % CPU usage by Xorg (with 0.9 %
MEM).

As I said earlier, this problem seems to happen with some other apps
too, e.g. the system monitor.
>
>>> The first step I'd do is updating Firefox to 13.0.1 (it works like a
>>> charm in my lenny). But you can also run more tests, like disabling
>>> your add-ons and plugins (mainly flash player) and check for any
>>> improvement once you have turn all them off.
>>>
>>> Also, ensure you have the latest flash player plugin version installed,
>>> now "11.2.202.236".
>
>> Well, as I said before I just reinstalled the firefox, last version,
>> clean install, having removed .mozilla/* stuff, etc., and I'm still
>> having these issues (no add-on, as I said). Flash is up-to-date.
>
> Disable the flash plugin at all (and so the same foe whatever additional
> version you can have installed, e.g., "gnash") and retry. It looks weird
> seeing Firefox to render slowly a usual page like Youtube, even more with
> flash player disabled :-?
I just tried, using the plug-in menu. This has no influence, and it
looks logical as the slowness problem is already encountered on the
welcome page, which does not really contain flash stuff (these are
just thumbnails)!
>
> You can also run the same tests you are doing with Firefox but using a
> different browser to compare both results.
Yes. However, I think my problem is related to something other than
Firefox. What about the System monitor problem that I explained
before?

Thanks again.

- --
Merciadri Luca
See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
- --

If you don't buy a ticket, you can't win the raffle.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.8 <http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/>

iEYEARECAAYFAk/p1RkACgkQM0LLzLt8MhwBqQCgkqQKSoUEgqh/72lb2ITepUKV
xZAAni4H6cI7HZMKcjEIOfhoqFSIWvTu
=YVGy
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/871ul2rt2d.fsf@merciadriluca-station.MERCIADRILUCA
 
Old 06-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Slowness problem

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:28:26 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Top command output would be interesting :-)

> Tasks: 203 total, 2 running, 201 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
> Cpu(s): 14.0%us, 1.9%sy, 0.0%ni, 84.1%id, 0.0%wa, 0.1%hi, 0.0%si,
> 0.0%st Mem: 4150284k total, 1712896k used, 2437388k free, 376712k
> buffers Swap: 6080560k total, 0k used, 6080560k free, 523364k
> cached
>
> PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
> 3749 root 20 0 67588 36m 11m S 57 0.9 13:02.61 Xorg
> 27653 merciadr 20 0 299m 68m 26m S 21 1.7 0:08.76 firefox-bin

(...)

> with a brand new firefox (i.e. virgin profile) on youtube.com; if I
> scroll really quickly, I get up to 106 % CPU usage by Xorg (with 0.9 %
> MEM).
>
> As I said earlier, this problem seems to happen with some other apps
> too, e.g. the system monitor.

Mmm... interesting. Note there's also Xorg there, taking too much of your
CPU cycles. I've seen this before, Google will confirm:

http://bit.ly/LNMAzg

But if you say you experience the same problem with another applications,
this points to a component that is shared between them, and I can only
think in Xorg and the VGA drivers. There's a additional "but" here and is
that as you are using Lenny, I can guess that none of these two could have
changed recently so the mistery still remains unless you installed "something"
recently :-)

>> Disable the flash plugin at all (and so the same foe whatever
>> additional version you can have installed, e.g., "gnash") and retry. It
>> looks weird seeing Firefox to render slowly a usual page like Youtube,
>> even more with flash player disabled :-?

> I just tried, using the plug-in menu. This has no influence, and it
> looks logical as the slowness problem is already encountered on the
> welcome page, which does not really contain flash stuff (these are just
> thumbnails)!

Well, yes, the Firefox start page shouldn't be problematic _unless_ you are
using the new feature that displays the latest visited sites in thumbnails ;-)

>> You can also run the same tests you are doing with Firefox but using a
>> different browser to compare both results.

> Yes. However, I think my problem is related to something other than
> Firefox. What about the System monitor problem that I explained before?

GNOME system monitor can become an intensive task, I mean, is not a good tool
to use to compare with, but you can try to reproduce the CPU pikes launching
different applications (e.g., OOo writer, gedit, any Qt based app that you may
have installed, a java tool...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jscn4v$rfk$13@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Merciadri Luca
 
Default Slowness problem

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 17:28:26 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Top command output would be interesting :-)
>
>> Tasks: 203 total, 2 running, 201 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
>> Cpu(s): 14.0%us, 1.9%sy, 0.0%ni, 84.1%id, 0.0%wa, 0.1%hi, 0.0%si,
>> 0.0%st Mem: 4150284k total, 1712896k used, 2437388k free, 376712k
>> buffers Swap: 6080560k total, 0k used, 6080560k free, 523364k
>> cached
>>
>> PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
>> 3749 root 20 0 67588 36m 11m S 57 0.9 13:02.61 Xorg
>> 27653 merciadr 20 0 299m 68m 26m S 21 1.7 0:08.76 firefox-bin
>
> (...)
>
>> with a brand new firefox (i.e. virgin profile) on youtube.com; if I
>> scroll really quickly, I get up to 106 % CPU usage by Xorg (with 0.9 %
>> MEM).
>>
>> As I said earlier, this problem seems to happen with some other apps
>> too, e.g. the system monitor.
>
> Mmm... interesting. Note there's also Xorg there, taking too much of your
> CPU cycles. I've seen this before, Google will confirm:
>
> http://bit.ly/LNMAzg
>
> But if you say you experience the same problem with another applications,
> this points to a component that is shared between them, and I can only
> think in Xorg and the VGA drivers. There's a additional "but" here and is
> that as you are using Lenny, I can guess that none of these two could have
> changed recently so the mistery still remains unless you installed "something"
> recently :-)
There is something I don't understand in this. Xorg takes way too much
CPU cycles, which might be a cause of the slowness I'm currently
encountering. However, what is the link with the VGA drivers? I know
Xorg is related to the graphical part of the system, but even if Xorg
was eating way too much CPU cycles, how damn could it result in such a
slowness? I'm having a 4-core config. with thus 4 CPUs at 2.66 Ghz!

I just
checked the Nvidia website (for my GeForce 8400 GS), and it looks like
they have absolutely no driver for me. However, many years ago, I
installed a proprietary driver from Nvidia for my graphic
card. Together with this driver, I installed nvidia-settings with
TwinView. This is the way I'm having a multi-screen
configuration. Here is my xorg.conf:

==
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildd@ninsei) Tue Jun 24 18:11:48 UTC 2008

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildd@ninsei) Fri Sep 5 22:23:08 UTC 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "be"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster"
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8400 GS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +1680+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0; CRT: 1280x1024 +0+0, DFP: NULL; CRT: 1280x1024 +1680+0, DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
==

It looks like my xorg.conf file has not been changed since 2010,
according to the output of `ls -al' in /etc/X11.
>
>>> Disable the flash plugin at all (and so the same foe whatever
>>> additional version you can have installed, e.g., "gnash") and retry. It
>>> looks weird seeing Firefox to render slowly a usual page like Youtube,
>>> even more with flash player disabled :-?
>
>> I just tried, using the plug-in menu. This has no influence, and it
>> looks logical as the slowness problem is already encountered on the
>> welcome page, which does not really contain flash stuff (these are just
>> thumbnails)!
>
> Well, yes, the Firefox start page shouldn't be problematic _unless_ you are
> using the new feature that displays the latest visited sites in
> thumbnails ;-)
I was speaking about the Youtube home page, that is, some kind of list
of videos you might view.
>
>>> You can also run the same tests you are doing with Firefox but using a
>>> different browser to compare both results.
>
>> Yes. However, I think my problem is related to something other than
>> Firefox. What about the System monitor problem that I explained before?
>
> GNOME system monitor can become an intensive task, I mean, is not a good tool
> to use to compare with, but you can try to reproduce the CPU pikes launching
> different applications (e.g., OOo writer, gedit, any Qt based app that you may
> have installed, a java tool...).
Ok.

- --
Merciadri Luca
See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
- --

It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.8 <http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/>

iEYEARECAAYFAk/qBTUACgkQM0LLzLt8MhzykACdH2CWTXM4JfxCbkKbAyCmh4qq
6hAAmweoaA6Fj8hr5d91B8MAegwJEEQ6
=XumG
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87395hoqfe.fsf@merciadriluca-station.MERCIADRILUCA
 
Old 06-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Slowness problem

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 20:53:41 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

(...)

>> Mmm... interesting. Note there's also Xorg there, taking too much of
>> your CPU cycles. I've seen this before, Google will confirm:
>>
>> http://bit.ly/LNMAzg
>>
>> But if you say you experience the same problem with another
>> applications, this points to a component that is shared between them,
>> and I can only think in Xorg and the VGA drivers. There's a additional
>> "but" here and is that as you are using Lenny, I can guess that none of
>> these two could have changed recently so the mistery still remains
>> unless you installed "something" recently :-)

> There is something I don't understand in this. Xorg takes way too much
> CPU cycles, which might be a cause of the slowness I'm currently
> encountering.

Yes, that's what I thought after reading the "top" values. Xorg can be
CPU intensive when you run specific tasks but 57% of the CPU is a bit
high.

> However, what is the link with the VGA drivers? I know Xorg is related
> to the graphical part of the system, but even if Xorg was eating way
> too much CPU cycles, how damn could it result in such a slowness? I'm
> having a 4-core config. with thus 4 CPUs at 2.66 Ghz!

It can be a problem/bug that hits a concrete VGA driver, for example. I
don't mean this is your case but it can happen (indeed, it happens so
often with GNOME or KDE desktops that now require 3D capabilities and
when using a closed-sourced driver, like ati fglxr or nvidia).

But your installation does not fit into this scenario, because lenny
stopped from receiving updates since months ago, and that's precisely
what confuses me, what could have changed in your side to start
experiencing this kind of problems "now" :-?

> I just checked the Nvidia website (for my GeForce 8400 GS), and it
> looks like they have absolutely no driver for me. However, many years
> ago, I installed a proprietary driver from Nvidia for my graphic card.
> Together with this driver, I installed nvidia-settings with TwinView.
> This is the way I'm having a multi-screen configuration.

Yes, I also have an nvidia card (quadro nvs 440) and still using the
"super-old" driver:

sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii nvidia-glx 173.14.09-5 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii nvidia-kernel-2.6.26-2-amd64 173.14.09+3+lenny1 NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.26
ii nvidia-kernel-common 20080825+1 NVIDIA binary kernel module common files

But no weird problems so far.

> Here is my xorg.conf:

(...)

> It looks like my xorg.conf file has not been changed since 2010,
> according to the output of `ls -al' in /etc/X11.

That's the expected. OTOH, I see no problems with your xrog.conf file, it
appears pretty common.

>> Well, yes, the Firefox start page shouldn't be problematic _unless_ you
>> are using the new feature that displays the latest visited sites in
>> thumbnails ;-)

> I was speaking about the Youtube home page, that is, some kind of list
> of videos you might view.

Ah, then yes, the Youtube home page can be resource intensive because of
use of javascript routines and also the flash based advertising that show
as soon as the page loads.

(...)

Sorry, no more ideas on what the problem can be located. Maybe you can load
a LiveCD of your choice and test from there if the slowness is also present
although the test won't tell us nothing useful unless you aere facing some
sort of hardware related issue that is also triggered from the LiveCD :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsfb55$n1m$10@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Slowness problem

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:08:05 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> Sorry, no more ideas on what the problem can be located.

(...)

One more thing you can test if you still have not tried... and easy one:
create a fresh new user account and work for a while from there.

Although I don't expect any improvement (the behaviour you are facing is
not the usual related to a borked user settings) at least you will
discard something wrong within your current user profile.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsi5kh$no$16@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Slowness problem

I haven't all emails in mind. Did we already ask you to turn of power
and to reconnect all cards, RAM bars and cables? Resp. IIRC somebody
already mentioned to test a LiveMedia?

So what happens if you e.g. use
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start ?

- Ralf


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1340907410.2684.4.camel@precise
 
Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Slowness problem

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 17:52:17 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:08:05 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
>> Sorry, no more ideas on what the problem can be located.
>
> (...)
>
> One more thing you can test if you still have not tried... and easy one:
> create a fresh new user account and work for a while from there.
>
> Although I don't expect any improvement (the behaviour you are facing is
> not the usual related to a borked user settings) at least you will
> discard something wrong within your current user profile.

And lastly, given that you are using lenny, you can instruct Xorg to use
"nv" driver instead "nvidia". This can be easily done by editing the "/
etc/X11/xorg.conf" file (remember to do a backup of the original
xorg.conf file before making any change) and adding at the "Device"
section:

#Driver "nvidia"
Driver "nv"

And reboot (or restart the X server) to commit the changes. If swapping
the driver still makes no difference, now finally yes, I'm out of
ideas :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsidd1$no$17@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Ralf Mardorf
 
Default Slowness problem

On Thu, 2012-06-28 at 20:04 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> #Driver "nvidia"
> Driver "nv"

Usually nvidia drivers < 2xx.x don't cause issues.

Ciao,
Ralf

Congratulations Italy


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1340916280.2684.7.camel@precise
 
Old 06-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Merciadri Luca
 
Default Slowness problem

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Thanks for all your answers. I'll try this when I'll have again
physical access to the related computer. Note that the problem is also
extremely present when I try to watch an HD video that I recorded
e.g. from a camcorder: a picture is displayed then every 10 s!!

- --
Merciadri Luca
See http://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
- --

We tend to be perfect. That’s why when we make mistakes we are hard
on ourselves.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Processed by Mailcrypt 3.5.8 <http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net/>

iEYEARECAAYFAk/t1fIACgkQM0LLzLt8MhzwkACdEf6gHJkJ8ABFp1+aiFmR3wGa
DiIAn12dXtz0fuLUZHUP42AL9POpNAk+
=Zsa0
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87zk7mks25.fsf@merciadriluca-eee.MERCIADRILUCA
 
Old 06-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Slowness problem

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:21:06 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Thanks for all your answers. I'll try this when I'll have again physical
> access to the related computer. Note that the problem is also extremely
> present when I try to watch an HD video that I recorded e.g. from a
> camcorder: a picture is displayed then every 10 s!!

A hardware problem is starting to be the first thing I would discard.

The symptons you are facing are not normal for a system that has not
updated any package nor installed nothing new recently... Consider also a
full computer clean-up (I mean, the kind of job that involves opening the
case and remove all the dust ;-) ) and also perform a hard disk SMART
test (better if you use the tool provided by the disk manufacturer).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jsknp2$68h$18@dough.gmane.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org