-   -   OT: /var on another distro, was: 100% (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/676391-ot-var-another-distro-100-a.html)

Ralf Mardorf 06-24-2012 05:39 AM

OT: /var on another distro, was: 100%

Hi Chris,

I usually have at least one Suse, one Debian, one Ubuntu and one Arch
installed, just to get one Linux, that fit to my most important needs.
Usually that are Debian or Ubuntu and not Suse or Arch. Perhaps I should
replace Suse with Fedora, anyway, it's hard to keep track with all
distros I'm using.

AFAIK on Arch only systemd is important today, I didn't switch, OTOH I
often nag regarding to consolekit.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit (Tom H mentioned it
on this list).

Regrads,
Ralf

Ralf Mardorf 06-24-2012 06:05 AM

OT: /var on another distro, was: 100%

PS:

The computer age is missing stuff like a "sacrificial anode". For
non-computer hardware there are several tricks to maintain it without
maintaining it, e.g. a "sacrificial anode". I wish there would be a
solution for computer hardware and software too. Don't mention backups!
FWIW, when I was young we used hemp to seal water pipe connections, to
climb a tree or monkey bars and still the whammy bar of my guitar might
be fixed with some pickings. Today everything is lost in non-reliable
plastic and computers even reach the quality of plastics. :(

Ralf Mardorf 06-24-2012 06:06 AM

OT: /var on another distro, was: 100%

> PS:
>
> The computer age is missing stuff like a "sacrificial anode". For
> non-computer hardware there are several tricks to maintain it without
> maintaining it, e.g. a "sacrificial anode". I wish there would be a
> solution for computer hardware and software too. Don't mention backups!
> FWIW, when I was young we used hemp to seal water pipe connections, to
> climb a tree or monkey bars and still the whammy bar of my guitar might
> be fixed with some pickings. Today everything is lost in non-reliable
> plastic and computers even reach the quality of plastics. :(
^ don't :D

Chris Knadle 06-24-2012 06:33 AM

On Sunday, June 24, 2012 01:39:06, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I usually have at least one Suse, one Debian, one Ubuntu and one Arch
> installed, just to get one Linux, that fit to my most important needs.

That sounds like it could occasionally be confusing... but also interesting.

I've been meaning to try Arch, simply because it's one of the distros that I
haven't yet tried.

> Usually that are Debian or Ubuntu and not Suse or Arch. Perhaps I should
> replace Suse with Fedora, anyway, it's hard to keep track with all
> distros I'm using.

Fedora is interesting in that they use SELinux by default, but I don't
personally like their plans for mandating reboots for certain updates for
Fedora 18. That's "too much like Windows" for my liking. I prefer Debian's
restart of services after libc6 upgrades, without requiring a reboot.

> AFAIK on Arch only systemd is important today, I didn't switch, OTOH I
> often nag regarding to consolekit.

Many distributions have switched to using systemd by default -- a few of the
holdouts are Ubuntu (which uses upstart), Debian (still using sysv-rc init
scripts, but now with dependency-based bootup), and Gentoo which is using
OpenRC.

-- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us

Tom H 06-24-2012 08:06 AM

OT: /var on another distro, was: 100%

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> OT for Lina's issue, but she mentioned /var.
>
> Will /var soon or later be changed for most distros, inculding Debian?
>
> "As of filesystem-2012.6-2 the folders /var/run and /var/lock will be
> replaced by symlinks to /run and /run/lock, respectively." -
> http://www.archlinux.org/

Debian started the transition to "/run" a year ago. AFAIK it won't
affect the size of "/var" much since the files and directories moved
to "/run" are small.

Ralf Mardorf 06-24-2012 09:52 AM

On Sun, 2012-06-24 at 02:33 -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> Fedora is interesting in that they use SELinux by default, but I don't
> personally like their plans for mandating reboots for certain updates for
> Fedora 18. That's "too much like Windows" for my liking. I prefer Debian's
> restart of services after libc6 upgrades, without requiring a reboot.

For my needs http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ is
interesting, because it's not just another audio distro, but one of the
few famous audio distros.

If a reboot is really annoying IMO does also belong to the usage.

It doesn't matter when I have to reboot my DAW, I suspect it does
matter, if a server needs to be restarted or even a desktop Linux with
tons of services running.

- Ralf

PS: Using different distros comes with a side effect. I don't have much
knowledge about Linux, I only have knowledge about Linux regarding to my
needs. This is a big handicap, since there isn't a straight line between
my needs and what I don't need.

"Christofer C. Bell" 06-24-2012 10:03 AM

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 1:33 AM, Chris Knadle <Chris.Knadle@coredump.us> wrote:

> Fedora is interesting in that they use SELinux by default, but I don't
> personally like their plans for mandating reboots for certain updates for
> Fedora 18. *That's "too much like Windows" for my liking. *I prefer Debian's
> restart of services after libc6 upgrades, without requiring a reboot.

The way Fedora will handle it is nothing at all like Windows. I'm not
sure where you got that idea. First off, you have to use PackageKit
to see the new behavior, and you have to use PackageKit in a local
desktop session. The behavior of a yum update is unchanged.
Furthermore, it doesn't require a reboot at all. Fedora will download
and *queue* the update and install it during the reboot cycle.
There's no reboot "required" because the update is never installed
until you *do* reboot.

This behavior cleans up what you see in Debian already, when Update
Manager installs an update and then notifies you that you need to
reboot after it's installed. It's "cleaned up" in that Debian (and
prior versions of Fedora) install the update, *then* tell you "reboot"
(and only, as will happen in Fedora, when using the GUI updater in a
local desktop session). In the future, Fedora won't install the
update if a reboot is required *until* you reboot.

The "Windows" behavior is what Debian and Fedora both do today --
install the update first then tell you to reboot after the fact.

--
Chris