Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Default OT: /var on another distro, was: 100%

OT for Lina's issue, but she mentioned /var.

I wonder if for Debian there will be some wicked changes too, systemd
seems to be one common change for some distros, IIRC ( ) for Debian
too.

Will /var soon or later be changed for most distros, inculding Debian?

"As of filesystem-2012.6-2 the folders /var/run and /var/lock will be
replaced by symlinks to /run and /run/lock, respectively." -
http://www.archlinux.org/

Old 06-24-2012, 04:44 AM
Ralf Mardorf

> OT for Lina's issue, but she mentioned /var.
>
> I wonder if for Debian there will be some wicked changes too, systemd
> seems to be one common change for some distros, IIRC ( ) for Debian
> too.
>
> Will /var soon or later be changed for most distros, inculding Debian?
>
> "As of filesystem-2012.6-2 the folders /var/run and /var/lock will be
> replaced by symlinks to /run and /run/lock, respectively." -
> http://www.archlinux.org/

PS: This wouldn't cause issues for non-RAID, non-separated-partition
users, but IIRC RAID and/or users with a separated /var partition aren't
that luck with Arch a the moment. I didn't check if there is a
relationship to systemd. However, perhaps a package for Lina's Debian
already changed something?!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:07 AM
Chris Knadle

On Sunday, June 24, 2012 00:39:45, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> OT for Lina's issue, but she mentioned /var.
>
> I wonder if for Debian there will be some wicked changes too, systemd
> seems to be one common change for some distros, IIRC ( ) for Debian
> too.

There weve several long threads about systemd on [debian-devel] in the past
couple of months, and as far as I can tell the standard sysv-rc init scripts
with dependency-based bootup is what will be used for the default Wheezy
release. However systemd will be an option for those that want it.

I've tested systemd -- for the most part it works, but it has some
limitations. For one, the option to reboot the computer within KDE won't work
with systemd -- when choosing the option it instead acts as if you've logged
out, and you have to re-choose to reboot within the kdm login window. For
another, the sysv-rc ANSI color script output is a bit prettier (IMHO) than
booting up via systemd via command line options "quiet init=/bin/systemd
systemd.sysv_console=true systemd.show_status=true".

> Will /var soon or later be changed for most distros, inculding Debian?
>
> "As of filesystem-2012.6-2 the folders /var/run and /var/lock will be
> replaced by symlinks to /run and /run/lock, respectively." -
> http://www.archlinux.org/

Several distros seem to be experimenting with several FHS layout changes, such
as merging /sbin and /usr/sbin, /bin and /usr/bin, etc. Things in /var
occasionally get moved around also. For instance years ago mail used to
occupy /var/spool/mail rather than today it resides in /var/mail -- and for
compatability reasons there's a symlink from /var/spool/mail -> ../mail.

The main issue most DDs have with several of the proposed changes I've heard
about are if they lack adherence to the FHS, or if the moves somehow violate
Debian Policy.

-- Chris

--
Chris Knadle