-   -   E: Couldn't rebuild package cache (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/676386-e-couldnt-rebuild-package-cache.html)

lina 06-24-2012 04:39 AM

E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

Hi,

I don't know how to fix the following problem,

W: Failed to fetch
gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_wheezy_main_binary-amd64_Packages:
Hash Sum mismatch
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.
E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

Thanks ahead for the suggestions,

Best regards,

lina 06-24-2012 05:01 AM

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know how to fix the following problem,

It's fixed after changing the source.list to my former mirror.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Charlie 06-24-2012 05:09 AM

E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 12:39:08 +0800 "lina lina.lastname@gmail.com"
suggested this:

>W: Failed to fetch
>gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_wheezy_main_binary-amd64_Packages:
>Hash Sum mismatch
>E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
>ones used instead.
>E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

I looked for the solution to this myself some time ago, and found
somewhere something about a bug and that and bzip2 had to be installed
and then it worked without a hitch.

Hope that helps you.
Charlie
--
** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
Registered Linux User:- 329524

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not
a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved....... W J Bryan

Dom 06-24-2012 06:02 AM

E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

I don't know how to fix the following problem,

It's fixed after changing the source.list to my former mirror.

Thanks,

Best regards,

W: Failed to fetch
gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_wheezy_main_binary-amd64_Packages:
Hash Sum mismatch
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.
E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

Thanks ahead for the suggestions,

I think that when your /var filled up, you were left with some partly
downloaded files in /var/lib/apt/lists/partial and apt is trying to use
those.

I assume you've freed up a lot of space under /var now. Can you delete
all the files uder that directory and try to update again? It is safe,
as the files will be downloaded again.

This leaves the question of why did /var fill up? Have you got a lot of
old deb files under /var/cache/apt/archives? These can be safely got rid
of with apt-get clean (unless you are keeping them for a reason). Also,
apt-get autoclean will prevent them being left in there after an
upgrade/install.

--
Dom

Archive: 4FE6AD7D.6030708@rpdom.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FE6AD7D.6030708@rpdom.net

Brian 06-24-2012 09:04 AM

On Sun 24 Jun 2012 at 13:01:37 +0800, lina wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM, lina <lina.lastname@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't know how to fix the following problem,
>
> It's fixed after changing the source.list to my former mirror.

Switching backwards and forwards between mirrors may be avoided by using

http://http.debian.net

lina 06-24-2012 09:53 AM

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Dom <toyer@rpdom.net> wrote:
> On 24/06/12 06:01, lina wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM, lina<lina.lastname@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I don't know how to fix the following problem,
>>

>> It's fixed after changing the source.list to my former mirror.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Best regards,
>>>

>>> W: Failed to fetch
>>>
>>> gzip:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_wheezy_main_binary-amd64_Packages:
>>> Hash Sum mismatch
>>> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
>>> ones used instead.
>>> E: Couldn't rebuild package cache
>>>

>>> Thanks ahead for the suggestions,
>>>

> I think that when your /var filled up, you were left with some partly
> downloaded files in /var/lib/apt/lists/partial and apt is trying to use
> those.
>
> I assume you've freed up a lot of space under /var now. Can you delete all
> the files uder that directory and try to update again? It is safe, as the
> files will be downloaded again.
>
> This leaves the question of why did /var fill up? Have you got a lot of old
> deb files under /var/cache/apt/archives? These can be safely got rid of with
> apt-get clean (unless you are keeping them for a reason). Also, apt-get
> autoclean will prevent them being left in there after an upgrade/install.

You are right, I have cleared the .deb,

I guess I'd better set the cron to do the autoclean also.

Thanks all,