Old 06-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Richard Owlett

Default Hardware problems -- was

Camaleón wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:13:31 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

(...)

As I write I was doing another test install. It appeared to proceed
normally up until I was instructed to remove the CD. Seems to have
crashed with a bunch of error message.

Error messages are very important :-)

You can take a snapshot with a standard DSC camera or using cell phone's
one and upload the image somewhere (www.picpaste.com) so we can check for
that logs.

From the form of the messages I suspect bad memory. I'll have to retry
and pay closer attention to the screen. Now just where did I put
memtest ;<

According to the FAQ:

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/index.en.html

The netinst ISO contains the required packages to get the system running,
so back to your first question: yes, it is possible to install a bare
system with this image and no Internet connection.

The installed system won't be suitable for text based servers nor even
small appliances, you'll need to get more packages once the installer
finishes, you first login and setup the system basics (source
repositories, network connections...).

Test procedure notes

1. Delete all existing partitions - used GParted CD as I had
been examining things with it
2. Will not use internet at all but will take advantage that
there are wifi servers nearby for which
I lack passwords. Installer will attempt to connect,
it will fail and I will use the option to configure
at another time in order to skip internet for rest of
install.
3. Do reasonably standard install of from 6.0.3 Gnome Live
CD - exceptions noted

a. Chose "Text Install" from LiveCD menu
b. when DHCP network configuration failed as expected
chose not to configure network

c. chose manual partitioning :
10GB Primary Partition, Ext3, mount as /
4GB swap
4. A _appeared_ to go 'normal'. Instructed to remove CD so
system could reboot. Hung with a long list

of what were apparently error messages

5. not touching anything on the disk attempt a Ubuntu 10.10
install

6. Chose "Install Ubuntu" from Welcome screen
do not chose "download updates while installing" nor
"third party software"

manual partitioning - 10 GB ext3 as /

7. The Ubuntu install had also installed memtest86 v4.x
Running 6 repetitions showed NO errors.
Implies the problem(s) I observed @ #4 above were
probably not memory failures.

8. Found a copy of a Segate Disk Test - Ran all tests - all pass

9. Debian LXDE install - chose text install- lots of
defaults until DHCP failed as expected

10 do not configure network at this time :/
11 chose manual partition - 10GB ext3 as / -- not sure if
existing swap will be recognized
- really need real time video :< LOL ----- seems
to work ;/

next day

12. Attempted to boot the LXDE just installed in "rescue"
mode - it hung apparently waiting for the built in touch
pad. Powered off
13. Attempted boot same LXDE but in "normal" mode. It hung.
But 3 lines up I noticed instruction to hit Cntl-D to
proceed. I did. It did ;]
14. Repeated Step 3. This time it failed at the same point
but without displaying any messages.
15. Powered off and rebooted. Appeared normal accepting user
password. However it rejected root's password when
attempting to access "Root Terminal" under "Accessories"
sub-menu. Other installs seem to act normally.

I've seen root's password being rejected before. It was what
prompted me to remove Windows Vista Home edition and follow
the steps just listed.

CONCLUSION: I've some flaky hardware. After warranty period,
used computers are definitely "caveat emptor".
With 4 Linuxes now installed, I still have only one SWAP
partition - proves at least one problem was "operator error" ;!

Archive: 4FE62105.4050402@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FE62105.4050402@cloud85.net

Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:03:17 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:13:31 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> As I write I was doing another test install. It appeared to proceed
>>> normally up until I was instructed to remove the CD. Seems to have
>>> crashed with a bunch of error message.
>>
>> Error messages are very important :-)

(...)

> Test procedure notes

I think the errors below are for a different install other than the
netiso, right? Okay...

(...)

> 4. A _appeared_ to go 'normal'. Instructed to remove CD so system could
> reboot. Hung with a long list
> of what were apparently error messages

Any snapshot of those? As I said, the kind of the errors you get is
important. It can be from harmless (CD media read-seek errors) to serious
(packages not being properly installed or a hardware problem...).

(...)

> 9. Debian LXDE install

(...)

> LOL ----- seems to work ;/

Okay.

> next day
>
> 12. Attempted to boot the LXDE just installed in "rescue" mode - it hung
> apparently waiting for the built in touch pad. Powered off

Mmm... right after the install, it's better that you login into the
system and proceed with a full update (if you are in "stable"), there can
be many bugs or problems that could have been solved afterwards. This, of
course, does not apply for a "testing" system due to its rolling update
nature but yet it is better that you first login as usual into the
recently installed OS and setup a basic configuration.

> 13. Attempted boot same LXDE but in "normal" mode.

Good :-)

> It hung.

At what point? What was printed in the screen?

> But 3 lines up I noticed instruction to hit Cntl-D to proceed.
> I did. It did ;]

Ctrl+D will give yu the busybox/maintenance console, you can run some
basic command and check for the existance of files, review the logs...
you can do some work from here.

> 14. Repeated Step 3. This time it failed at the same point but without
> displaying any messages.

Nothing in your monitor? :-?

> 15. Powered off and rebooted. Appeared normal accepting user password.
> However it rejected root's password when attempting to access "Root
> Terminal" under "Accessories" sub-menu. Other installs seem to act
> normally.

If you configured sudo, you will be asked for the user password instead
root's one.

> I've seen root's password being rejected before. It was what prompted me
> to remove Windows Vista Home edition and follow the steps just listed.

?

I wonder what kind of odd relation do you see in having a problem with
your root's password and Windows Vista >:-?

For the root password issue you can run more tests, for instance, opening
a terminal and "su -", to see what happens.

> CONCLUSION: I've some flaky hardware.

Mmm... I'm not that sure, at least for the kind of the problems you have
described it does not lead to me to think of a hardware problem (at least
not exclusively) , there's not enough information to prove that point.

> After warranty period, used computers are definitely "caveat emptor".
> With 4 Linuxes now installed, I still have only one SWAP partition -
> proves at least one problem was "operator error" ;!

Warranty is a delusion, I never bother about it anymore and prefer to
always buy for good, well designed, well manufactured, well engineered
hardware components :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón