Old 06-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Richard Owlett

Default A qualified "Yes" - was

Richard Owlett wrote:

I did not use the term "alternate" as that already has a
specific meaning in this context.
I also used "contrarian" instead of "experimental" to
emphasize I'm looking for something aimed at a different
target audience.

My experiments have demonstrated that the Debian installer
team has producer a very robust product which meets the
needs/desires of a very large percentage of its intended
audience.

Having recently read the announcement of apt-offline version
1.2, I think something I'd like would be possible.

What I would like to have:
CLI, dial up on a full analog modem (USB connection), WiFi
connectivity, apt-offline.

Options I would likely download almost immediately:
X11, a very simple GUI (NOT a 'desktop _environment_),
Tcl/Tk & gnuplot (I've existing projects).

TIA

It appears that I can reach my goal using netinst.iso.
I doubt that few, if any, would recommend my goals or route.

From my reading, I suspect that I'm headed down a path
similar to an old/abandoned project for a highly
customizable small footprint Linux install. [Can't recall
the project's name.]

I any case I'll learn the guts of Linux. I'm retired so I've
time and no _outside_ constraints.

Thanks to all.

Archive: 4FE5FD4F.5030305@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FE5FD4F.5030305@cloud85.net

Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Neal Murphy

On Saturday 23 June 2012 13:30:55 Richard Owlett wrote:
> It appears that I can reach my goal using netinst.iso.
> I doubt that few, if any, would recommend my goals or route.

I'd certainly recommend your approach over building your own distro! Although
I might give Linux From Scratch a plug. If learning's your goal andit isn't
too low-level for you, you'll learn a lot about how GNU/Linux is built from
source packages.

> From my reading, I suspect that I'm headed down a path
> similar to an old/abandoned project for a highly
> customizable small footprint Linux install. [Can't recall
> the project's name.]

Puppy Linux? Damn Small Linux?