Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 PM
T Elcor

Default Wheezy: Virtualization package recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking into running Windows XP as guest on a Debian Wheezy box. The hardware is fairly recent (should support virtualization) and Windows XP will be used only occasionally, not a production environment, so the goal is to have an easy virtualization setup that minimally impacts the host OS (Debian).

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 PM
green

T Elcor wrote at 2012-06-23 11:19 -0600:
> I'm looking into running Windows XP as guest on a Debian Wheezy box. The
> hardware is fairly recent (should support virtualization) and Windows XP
> will be used only occasionally, not a production environment, so the goal
> is to have an easy virtualization setup that minimally impacts the host OS
> (Debian).
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality via CLI

Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Sat, 2012-06-23 at 13:51 -0600, green wrote:
> T Elcor wrote at 2012-06-23 11:19 -0600:
> > I'm looking into running Windows XP as guest on a Debian Wheezy box. The
> > hardware is fairly recent (should support virtualization) and Windows XP
> > will be used only occasionally, not a production environment, so the goal
> > is to have an easy virtualization setup that minimally impacts the host OS
> > (Debian).
> >
> > Any ideas? Thanks
>
> virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality via CLI

I'm running VBox on Arch with XP SP2 as guest, to be able to use iTunes
(more or less). VBox suffers from the fact, that USB is a very, very,
very, weak point.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:09 AM
T Elcor

--- On Sat, 6/23/12, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:

> virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality
> via CLI

I wonder if kvm will work without enabling virtualization option in the BIOS. Guest OS performance isn't a priority for me (while host OS is), so I don't care about hardware acceleration.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 AM
green

T Elcor wrote at 2012-06-23 18:09 -0600:
> --- On Sat, 6/23/12, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> > virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality
> > via CLI
>
> I wonder if kvm will work without enabling virtualization option in the
> BIOS. Guest OS performance isn't a priority for me (while host OS is), so I
> don't care about hardware acceleration.

kvm will work without virtualization, either automatically or using instead
the qemu executable. If your hardware supports virtualization, I recommend
enabling it: without it, kvm will use more CPU time, lower both host and
guest performance (as I understand it).

Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Bartek Krawczyk

On Saturday, 23 June 2012, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality via CLI

VirtualBox can also be run in CLI.

--
Bartek Krawczyk
network and system administrator

Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Richard Hector

On 24/06/12 20:21, Bartek Krawczyk wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 June 2012, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com
> <mailto:greenfreedom10@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality via CLI
>
> VirtualBox can also be run in CLI.

... And you can also get a GUI (via a VNC viewer) with KVM :-)

Richard

Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:19:11 -0700, T Elcor wrote:

> I'm looking into running Windows XP as guest on a Debian Wheezy box. The
> hardware is fairly recent (should support virtualization) and Windows XP
> will be used only occasionally, not a production environment, so the
> goal is to have an easy virtualization setup that minimally impacts the
> host OS (Debian).
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

VirtualBox is usually a good option. Easy to get, easy to install and
easy to use.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón