-   -   Wheezy: Virtualization package recommendations (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/676261-wheezy-virtualization-package-recommendations.html)

T Elcor 06-23-2012 05:19 PM

Wheezy: Virtualization package recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking into running Windows XP as guest on a Debian Wheezy box. The hardware is fairly recent (should support virtualization) and Windows XP will be used only occasionally, not a production environment, so the goal is to have an easy virtualization setup that minimally impacts the host OS (Debian).

Any ideas? Thanks

green 06-23-2012 07:51 PM

T Elcor wrote at 2012-06-23 11:19 -0600:
> I'm looking into running Windows XP as guest on a Debian Wheezy box. The
> hardware is fairly recent (should support virtualization) and Windows XP
> will be used only occasionally, not a production environment, so the goal
> is to have an easy virtualization setup that minimally impacts the host OS
> (Debian).
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality via CLI

Ralf Mardorf 06-23-2012 08:13 PM

On Sat, 2012-06-23 at 13:51 -0600, green wrote:
> T Elcor wrote at 2012-06-23 11:19 -0600:
> > I'm looking into running Windows XP as guest on a Debian Wheezy box. The
> > hardware is fairly recent (should support virtualization) and Windows XP
> > will be used only occasionally, not a production environment, so the goal
> > is to have an easy virtualization setup that minimally impacts the host OS
> > (Debian).
> >
> > Any ideas? Thanks
>
> virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality via CLI

I'm running VBox on Arch with XP SP2 as guest, to be able to use iTunes
(more or less). VBox suffers from the fact, that USB is a very, very,
very, weak point.

T Elcor 06-24-2012 12:09 AM

--- On Sat, 6/23/12, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:

> virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality
> via CLI

I wonder if kvm will work without enabling virtualization option in the BIOS. Guest OS performance isn't a priority for me (while host OS is), so I don't care about hardware acceleration.

Thanks

green 06-24-2012 02:44 AM

T Elcor wrote at 2012-06-23 18:09 -0600:
> --- On Sat, 6/23/12, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> > virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality
> > via CLI
>
> I wonder if kvm will work without enabling virtualization option in the
> BIOS. Guest OS performance isn't a priority for me (while host OS is), so I
> don't care about hardware acceleration.

kvm will work without virtualization, either automatically or using instead
the qemu executable. If your hardware supports virtualization, I recommend
enabling it: without it, kvm will use more CPU time, lower both host and
guest performance (as I understand it).

Bartek Krawczyk 06-24-2012 08:21 AM

On Saturday, 23 June 2012, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> wrote:
> virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality via CLI

VirtualBox can also be run in CLI.

--
Bartek Krawczyk
network and system administrator

Richard Hector 06-24-2012 09:29 AM

On 24/06/12 20:21, Bartek Krawczyk wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 June 2012, green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com
> <mailto:greenfreedom10@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> virtualbox for a full GUI or kvm for full functionality via CLI
>
> VirtualBox can also be run in CLI.

... And you can also get a GUI (via a VNC viewer) with KVM :-)

Richard

Camaleón 06-24-2012 10:51 AM

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:19:11 -0700, T Elcor wrote:

> I'm looking into running Windows XP as guest on a Debian Wheezy box. The
> hardware is fairly recent (should support virtualization) and Windows XP
> will be used only occasionally, not a production environment, so the
> goal is to have an easy virtualization setup that minimally impacts the
> host OS (Debian).
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

VirtualBox is usually a good option. Easy to get, easy to install and
easy to use.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón