Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Paul Seyfert

Default fonts used by evince

Okay,
I don't precisely know what fixed it but now the font is correctly
displayed for me. deleting files from /usr/share/fonts/ somewhat brought
unreproducible results. I started font-manager (which I believed to be
inactive since I commented out the corresponding entries in
~/.fonts.conf). In debuging earlier I added the symbol.ttf which comes
with cernroot to the user fonts of the font-manager (didn't help back then).
Now I removed symbol.ttf from the font manager and restored
/usr/share/fonts to how my standard package installation prepared it.
Now the plot gets displayed correctly.

my conclusion:
- no idea what went wrong before I installed font-manager
- symbol.ttf which comes with cernroot is behaving strangely
using it for displaying causes wrong displaying of non embedded greek
letters.
- if you create pdfs always embed fonts
- I learned the gs command to repair pdfs.
- ttf files not only help displaying fonts, they can also break it.

Thanks for all suggestions,
Paul

Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:48:23 +0200, Paul Seyfert wrote:

> Okay,
> I don't precisely know what fixed it but now the font is correctly
> displayed for me. deleting files from /usr/share/fonts/ somewhat brought
> unreproducible results.

You deleted all the fonts under "/usr/share/fonts/" path? :-?

> I started font-manager (which I believed to be inactive since I
> commented out the corresponding entries in ~/.fonts.conf). In debuging
> earlier I added the symbol.ttf which comes with cernroot to the user
> fonts of the font-manager (didn't help back then). Now I removed
> symbol.ttf from the font manager and restored /usr/share/fonts to how
> my standard package installation prepared it. Now the plot gets
> displayed correctly.

Not sure about the steps you did but what solved the problem for me was
renaming/moving MS TrueType Symbol font from "/usr/local/share/fonts/"
thus forcing the system to use another one.

> my conclusion:
> - no idea what went wrong before I installed font-manager

I don't think this is something related to font-manager :-?

> - symbol.ttf which comes with cernroot is behaving strangely
> using it for displaying causes wrong displaying of non embedded greek
> letters.

The behaviour you get is similar to mine, despite in my case the source
of the symbol font was different than yours.

> - if you create pdfs always embed fonts

Always, always, always... some recommendations are good in theory but not
that good when you put in practice :-P

- I learned the gs command to repair pdfs.

By reinjecting/embedding the fonts, that's indeed a good trick when you
have no access to the original document.

- ttf files not only help displaying fonts, they can also break it.

This is not because of TTF but a bug coming from a different place (in
wheezy the problem is not present even using symbol.ttf).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Brian

On Fri 22 Jun 2012 at 16:11:49 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:48:23 +0200, Paul Seyfert wrote:
>
> > - symbol.ttf which comes with cernroot is behaving strangely
> > using it for displaying causes wrong displaying of non embedded greek
> > letters.
>
> The behaviour you get is similar to mine, despite in my case the source
> of the symbol font was different than yours.

I wonder whether it is. His has "Copyright URW Software, Copyright 1997
by URW" in the file.

This font is menace on a Debian system. As both of you have found out it
needs to be put somewhere where fontconfig does not look. Examining it
with fontforge reveals the unicode values for the glyphs are incorrect.
Not that the GPL version of the same font in wine has anything to boast
about - it too suffers from an identical defect.