Old 04-10-2008, 02:37 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

Default Difference between bind and bind9

Greetings;

I was just doing some reading about DNS and came across
a reference to bind9. I find that there are packages
for both a bind and a bind9 in the dist. What is the
difference between them? Any particular preferences?

TIA!
Dennis

Old 04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Sven Joachim

Hello Dennis,

On 2008-04-10 16:37 +0200, Dennis G. Wicks wrote:

> I was just doing some reading about DNS and came across a reference to
> bind9. I find that there are packages for both a bind and a bind9 in
> the dist. What is the difference between them?

The bind package includes version 8 of the nameserver, bind9 version 9.

> Any particular preferences?

Definitely you should use bind9, the bind package is deprecated. It has
already been removed from testing and unstable, will not be part of the
next Debian release and has an outstanding security bug¹.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=442910

Old 04-10-2008, 05:13 PM
"Dennis G. Wicks"

I was just doing some reading about DNS and came across a reference to
bind9. I find that there are packages for both a bind and a bind9 in
the dist. What is the difference between them?

The bind package includes version 8 of the nameserver, bind9 version 9.

Any particular preferences?

Definitely you should use bind9, the bind package is deprecated. It has
already been removed from testing and unstable, will not be part of the
next Debian release and has an outstanding security bug¹.

Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=442910

Sven,

Thanks for that quick response!
Probably saved me a ton of grief!! :-)

MANY THANKS!!
Dennis

(You will notice that the previous reply came from the
list to the list. Another example of strange things
that can happen to email unbeknownst to the user!)