-   -   What to do to get loclized version of debian package ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/67561-what-do-get-loclized-version-debian-package.html)

Thierry Chatelet 04-10-2008 02:55 PM

On Thursday 10 April 2008 23:05:04 Jabka Atu wrote:
> Hello,..
>
> Cups in debian don't have the localized versions (Hebrew ,Spanish ,
> Italian etc..) - that allready in cups sources.
>
> The loclization is in two things :
> The Cli - Uses po files.
> The Web-Gui - Uses html file and images.
>
> What should i do to help it comming to Debian tree ?

Maybe have a look there:
http://www.debian.org/international/

Sven Joachim 04-10-2008 03:07 PM

On 2008-04-10 23:05 +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:

> Hello,..
>
> Cups in debian don't have the localized versions (Hebrew ,Spanish ,
> Italian etc..) - that allready in cups sources.

Did you look at the newest version of Cups in Debian or just at the
package in the stable Debian release? Looking at
http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/cupsys-common/filelist, I would
assume that these translations _are_ there, at least the po files.

> The loclization is in two things :
> The Cli - Uses po files.
> The Web-Gui - Uses html file and images.

The html files and images seem to be included in the cupsys package.

Sven

Jabka Atu 04-10-2008 09:05 PM

What to do to get loclized version of debian package ?

"Jabka Atu" 04-11-2008 07:57 AM

What to do to get loclized version of debian package ?

I see now that the translation are in source files.
The question is how to make cups to use it ?
*
On 2008-04-10 23:05 +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:

> Hello,..
>
> Cups in debian don't have the localized versions (Hebrew ,Spanish ,

> Italian etc..) - that allready in cups sources.
*
I ment as there is no cupsys-it or cupsys-he as packages.
I'm searching for away to make use of it without recompiling (altring makefile etc..) just by apt.

Did you look at the newest version of Cups in Debian or just at the
package in the stable Debian release?**Looking at

http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/cupsys-common/filelist, I would
assume that these translations _are_ there, at least the po files.

*
the po files are only for the CLI (the normal user don't see it at all).

Tzafrir Cohen 04-11-2008 11:32 AM

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:57:33AM +0300, Jabka Atu wrote:
> I see now that the translation are in source files.
> The question is how to make cups to use it ?
>
> On 4/10/08, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > On 2008-04-10 23:05 +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,..
> > >
> > > Cups in debian don't have the localized versions (Hebrew ,Spanish ,
> > > Italian etc..) - that allready in cups sources.
>

> I ment as there is no cupsys-it or cupsys-he as packages.
> I'm searching for away to make use of it without recompiling (altring
> makefile etc..) just by apt.

Separate per-language packaegs are only used in some extereme cases
where the translations are huge. In most cases they are just part of the
main package.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

"Jabka Atu" 04-11-2008 04:06 PM

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Tzafrir Cohen* wrote:

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:57:33AM +0300, Jabka Atu wrote:

> I see now that the translation are in source files.

> The question is how to make cups to use it ?

> On 4/10/08, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> > On 2008-04-10 23:05 +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:

> > > Hello,..

> > > Cups in debian don't have the localized versions (Hebrew ,Spanish ,

> > > Italian etc..) - that allready in cups sources.

> I ment as there is no cupsys-it or cupsys-he as packages.

> I'm searching for away to make use of it without recompiling (altring

> makefile etc..) just by apt.

Separate per-language packaegs are only used in some extereme cases

where the translations are huge. In most cases they are just part of the

main package.*
I would* disagree with you about that (the extreme situation):

Since cups is used in many companies and in some academic facilities you can be sure that the end users or IT-personal would prefer localized versions :

For example im working on a free* billing solution that end users without computer skills will operate.
I believe that using a localized version will be much easier than an english one for end users.

I use pykota as the user management

Cups.

The translation that the user has aren't so big (stored in doc) :
Pictures (buttons).
a Po file.

So a translated version could be :
full cups translated version -
*perhaps it can be done using some compile farm (i hope im using the right term) -

since the only difference between translated and non translated is a parameter to the Makefile.
but i don't wont to fork cups ;-)
Img - translation -
* Maybe using another package that will depend on cupsys and change it's files (the buttons and the css file).

about the next i don't know:
I don't know about the usability of translation* if you need to recompile the package and recreate it (this is what i understand that i need to do now).

btw i don't know what is a huge translation -

Since the Ophear's version (Hebrew translation) translated all the messages (the po file) .
The web gui* - he created all the buttons from scratch.
And changed the css file.

Afaik he changed the printing script.

If i have a mistake and you can change the gui / cli language just by one setting please explain how.

--

Tzafrir Cohen * * * * | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is

http://tzafrir.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| a Mutt's

tzafrir@cohens.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| *best

ICQ# 16849754 * * * * | * * * * * * * * * *| friend

Regards,...
Jabka Atu || bsh83.blogspot.com
IM (Jabber) - jabka@jabber.com
My quote - The Fear is the mind killer , don't fear Commercial software write your BSD version !

Tzafrir Cohen 04-12-2008 10:05 PM

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 07:06:04PM +0300, Jabka Atu wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:57:33AM +0300, Jabka Atu wrote:
> > > I see now that the translation are in source files.
> > > The question is how to make cups to use it ?

> > > I ment as there is no cupsys-it or cupsys-he as packages.
> > > I'm searching for away to make use of it without recompiling (altring
> > > makefile etc..) just by apt.
> >
> > Separate per-language packaegs are only used in some extereme cases
> > where the translations are huge. In most cases they are just part of the
> > main package.
>

> I would disagree with you about that (the extreme situation):

The fact is that this is only used in extreme cases (less than 10 such
packages, I believe. Plenty of other packages with Hebrew translation.

Again, I did not say that a specific software should not be translated
or that the translation should not be included in Debian. Only stated a
fact regarding where those translations go.

BTW: http://wiki.debian.org/i18n/TranslationDebs

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend