-   -   What to do when testing come to stable on a Debian wheezy/sid? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/675491-what-do-when-testing-come-stable-debian-wheezy-sid.html)

Andy Hawkins 06-21-2012 04:35 PM

What to do when testing come to stable on a Debian wheezy/sid?

Hi,

In article <87txy4iqik.fsf@gmail.com>,
Csanyi Pal<csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid system.
>
> What must I do to keep the system in it's relative usable state when
> testing come to stable?

What lines do you have in your sources.list? Do you refer to 'testing' or to
'wheezy'?

If the latter, you will always be on wheezy. If the former, you will
continue to update once a new 'testing' is started.

Andy

Camaleón 06-21-2012 04:43 PM

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:22:27 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:

> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid system.

You mean a mix of both?

> What must I do to keep the system in it's relative usable state when
> testing come to stable?

What's what you want to get?

I use "testing" (not "wheezy") as codename in my repositories, this way,
once wheezy is released I'll be in the upcoming testing branch.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Csanyi Pal 06-21-2012 08:07 PM

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:22:27 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>
>> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid system.
>
> You mean a mix of both?
>
>> What must I do to keep the system in it's relative usable state when
>> testing come to stable?
>
> What's what you want to get?

I want to get again a testing/sid system, but this shall be my first
time to upgrade from testing/sid to 'newer' testing/sid.

I'm a feared what could happen with my system right away after the
upgrade shall happen?

Could happen that that I can't use it a while?

> I use "testing" (not "wheezy") as codename in my repositories, this way,
> once wheezy is released I'll be in the upcoming testing branch.

deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main

# Bitlbee
deb http://code.bitlbee.org/debian/devel/testing/amd64/ ./

--
Regards from Pal

Gary Dale 06-21-2012 08:25 PM

[...]

That looks ugly. Having the sid repositories means you will be getting
the packages mainly from there. Comment out the sid lines ASAP. Then
change the two places where you have "wheezy" to "testing".

Sid is unstable. It has packages that aren't fully integrated in Debian.
It's where stuff goes to be tested before making it into testing.

Testing is actually fairly stable most of the time. Keeping your
/etc/apt/sources.list file to testing (and not sid) will give you a
fairly stable system with relatively recent packages.

Once Wheezy becomes the stable branch, "testing" will continue to give
you newer packages while Wheezy will give you mainly bug fixes and
security releases. If you are happy with Wheezy so far, then sticking
with "testing" should be smooth sailing.

Archive: 4FE38352.5080102@rogers.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FE38352.5080102@rogers.com

Greg Madden 06-22-2012 02:15 AM

On Thursday 21 June 2012 12:07:44 pm Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:22:27 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> >> I'm running Debian GNU/Linux wheezy/sid system.
> >
> > You mean a mix of both?
> >
> >> What must I do to keep the system in it's relative usable state when
> >> testing come to stable?
> >
> > What's what you want to get?
>
> I want to get again a testing/sid system, but this shall be my first
> time to upgrade from testing/sid to 'newer' testing/sid.
>
> I'm a feared what could happen with my system right away after the
> upgrade shall happen?
>
> Could happen that that I can't use it a while?
>
> > I use "testing" (not "wheezy") as codename in my repositories, this way,
> > once wheezy is released I'll be in the upcoming testing branch.
>
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
>
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing main
>
> # Bitlbee
> deb http://code.bitlbee.org/debian/devel/testing/amd64/ ./
>
> --
> Regards from Pal

With a sources.list like yours, I would expect you are running a Sid system, is
Wheezy used at all?

A couple of things to check that determine what you are installiing with your
sources.
1. 'APT::Default Release' in '/etc/apt/apt.conf
2. An '/etc/apt/preferences' file will allow you to control what is
installed,rferedf to as 'apt pinning'

--
Peace,

Greg

Alberto Fuentes 06-22-2012 11:59 AM

What to do when testing come to stable on a Debian wheezy/sid?