Old 06-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Móczik Gábor

Default cyrus --> dovecot

Hi,

I want cyrus-imapd and dovecot-imapd both installed simultaneously until
migrating all the mails from Cyrus and testing the new service.

The problem is, that apt want to remove Cyrus if I install dovecot.

Is there a technical reason for this restriction?

I think, it will not cause any problems if I run dovecot on different
port, and when I finshed the migration and testing I remove Cyrus manually.

Is there a way not to automatically remove Cyrus?

It's not an option to stop IMAP service for hours or so.

Thanks in advance,

Gabor Moczik

ps.: up-to-date debian squeeze

Archive: 4FE33DE4.4020101@progzmaster.hu">http://lists.debian.org/4FE33DE4.4020101@progzmaster.hu

Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:29:40 +0200, Móczik Gábor wrote:

> I want cyrus-imapd and dovecot-imapd both installed simultaneously until
> migrating all the mails from Cyrus and testing the new service.
>
> The problem is, that apt want to remove Cyrus if I install dovecot.

What's the exact output you get from apt?

> Is there a technical reason for this restriction?

At a first glance I see none, both packages should be able to coexist in
the same system. A different thing would be that you wanted to use both
services at the same time in the same host using the standard ports...

> I think, it will not cause any problems if I run dovecot on different
> port, and when I finshed the migration and testing I remove Cyrus
> manually.

Yup, I also think so. Having a virtual/spare machine for testing these
things can help in such cases.

> Is there a way not to automatically remove Cyrus?

I wonder what package/rule is the reason for the "break" or "conflict"
here.

> It's not an option to stop IMAP service for hours or so.

I'm curious about the replacement, may I ask why you want to replace
Cyrus for Dovecot?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Móczik Gábor

I want cyrus-imapd and dovecot-imapd both installed simultaneously until
migrating all the mails from Cyrus and testing the new service.

The problem is, that apt want to remove Cyrus if I install dovecot.

What's the exact output you get from apt?

progzmaster:~# apt-get install dovecot-imapd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:

cyrus-common-2.2 libgssapi2-heimdal libheimntlm0-heimdal
The following packages will be REMOVED:
cyrus-imapd-2.2
dovecot-imapd
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,123 kB of archives.
After this operation, 786 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

Is there a technical reason for this restriction?

At a first glance I see none, both packages should be able to coexist in
the same system. A different thing would be that you wanted to use both
services at the same time in the same host using the standard ports...

On different ports, of course...

Is there a way not to automatically remove Cyrus?

I wonder what package/rule is the reason for the "break" or "conflict"
here.

dovecot:

Replaces: dovecot-common, imap-server
Provides: imap-server

cyrus:
Replaces: cyrus21-imapd, cyrus22-imapd
Provides: cyrus21-imapd, cyrus22-imapd, imap-server
Conflicts: cyrus21-imapd, cyrus22-imapd, imap-server

It's not an option to stop IMAP service for hours or so.

I'm curious about the replacement, may I ask why you want to replace
Cyrus for Dovecot?

I don't know which is better, but it worth a try.
I have read that it is better to administer or recover from a failure,
performs better and more standard-compliant.

I don't know until I try. :-)

However, Cyrus seemed stable for years without significant data loss.

Archive: 4FE35A40.2050703@progzmaster.hu">http://lists.debian.org/4FE35A40.2050703@progzmaster.hu

Old 06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:30:40 +0200, Móczik Gábor wrote:

> 2012.06.21. 18:07 keltezéssel, Camaleón írta:

>> What's the exact output you get from apt?

(...)

> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> cyrus-imapd-2.2
> dovecot-imapd

(...)

Mmmm... is the same for the pop3 counterparts?

>>> Is there a way not to automatically remove Cyrus?
>>
>> I wonder what package/rule is the reason for the "break" or "conflict"
>> here.
>
> dovecot:
>
> Replaces: dovecot-common, imap-server
> Provides: imap-server
^^^^^^^^^^^

> cyrus:
> Replaces: cyrus21-imapd, cyrus22-imapd
> Provides: cyrus21-imapd, cyrus22-imapd, imap-server
> Conflicts: cyrus21-imapd, cyrus22-imapd, imap-server
^^^^^^^^^^^

So "imap-server" is the one making noise here, right?

Lets see what the packaging guidelines have to say in this respect:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

I would contact the Cyrus package maintainers and ask them about this.
The "conflict" flag in cyrus seems too restrictive (although "courier-
imap" also has it), but maybe there's a strong reason for it we can't
see :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón