FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Apertium error... seeking English <-> Español translation tool

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:45:07 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> I'd like to use the Apertium translation tool [1], which can translate
> English <-> Español (and other languages too, but that's the pair I'm
> most interested in atm) ... but it doesn't seem to work:
>
> % echo "hello world" | apertium en-es Error: Unknown error matching
> regexp (code -28) hola
>
> % echo "world" | apertium en-es
> Error: Unknown error matching regexp (code -28)
>
> Seems this is related to some long-standing bugs [2].

If you mean this bug:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=503861

It seems to be fixed since version "3.0.7+1-3".

> There's an "Installing apertium on Debian" page [3], but it makes no
> mention of the above error. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for
> a way to get apertium working, or if there might be another translation
> tool I could install that would do the job. This is on Debian Sid.

(...)

Debian sid has 3.1.0.2, if the above bug is still present in that version
you should report a regression (ah... now I see you added a comment
there, good!).

In the meantime, you can also try with the latest upstream packages (3.2)
available in sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/apertium/files/apertium/

Or try with a different application, such as stardict, goldendict or
babiloo.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jrvdhm$ibc$9@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 06-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Apertium error... seeking English <-> Español translation tool

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 23:08:05 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> * Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [120621 11:23]:
>> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:45:07 -0700, John Magolske wrote:
>>
>> > I'd like to use the Apertium translation tool [1], which can
>> > translate English <-> Español (and other languages too, but that's
>> > the pair I'm most interested in atm) ...
>> > [...]
>> Debian sid has 3.1.0.2, if the above bug is still present in that
>> version you should report a regression (ah... now I see you added a
>> comment there, good!).
>
> (wasn't me that added the comment)

Oh, you're right, sorry! I somehow confused you with the last reporter,
maybe because of the recent date it was placed and because the error was
the same as yours O:-)

>> In the meantime, you can also try with the latest upstream packages
>> (3.2) available in sourceforge:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/apertium/files/apertium/
>
> I may install from there if that's the only way I can get it...was
> hoping there would be some sort of work-around that would allow the
> aptitude installed version to work.

Add your comments in the mentioned bug report so the packager can confirm
there's still a problem and corrects it or uploads a new version.

>> Or try with a different application, such as stardict, goldendict or
>> babiloo.
>
> It seems Apertium is the only application that does what I'm looking for
> -- something that can take entire sentences, paragraphs, text files, etc
> and translate them. All the other applications seem to translate one
> word at a time.

You mean a real traslator (such as Google Translator)? Is that's so I
think that at least "stardict" can do it when using an Internet
connection.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/js1vjt$5le$8@dough.gmane.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org