Old 06-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Richard Owlett

Default Root password usage - was

Brian wrote:

On Thu 21 Jun 2012 at 13:55:49 +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 07:37:52AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

But
The new install will not accept root password. User password is
fine.

That may be intended. I don't think Debian (out of the box) allows root
to log in at all. Instead, you're expected to log in as an unprivileged
user and then 'upgrade' to root (via sudo - which takes THAT USER'S
password). If you gave root a password during install, then you should
be able to log in at a VT with root, but not via SSH/*DM etc.

The installer always presents a screen offering to set a password for
root. Leaving the entry field empty disables the root account and sudo
is installed.

Is there reason to not specify a root password?

The current situation is a long series of test installations
serving two goals:

A. understanding the ins and outs of the installation procedure
B. eventually deciding just what I want in a final system

The laptop serving as a test vehicle:
is physically secure
will not spend much time connected to the internet
the hard drive as part of my experimenting will
frequently be reformatted

Archive: 4FE3368B.8000807@cloud85.net">http://lists.debian.org/4FE3368B.8000807@cloud85.net

Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 AM
Mark Allums

The new install will not accept root password. User password is
fine.

That may be intended. I don't think Debian (out of the box) allows root
to log in at all. Instead, you're expected to log in as an unprivileged
user and then 'upgrade' to root (via sudo - which takes THAT USER'S
password).

You're thinking of Ubuntu. Overriding that in Ubuntu is possible, but
requires some fiddling and is not generally regarded as worth the
effort. (Ubuntu sets the root password hash to an impossible value at
install, making root login impossible until you change it. After you do
that, all of the various system defaults assume sudo is in charge, and
fixing all of that is a real nuisance. Since it isn't necessary, sane
people mostly don't bother.)

If you gave root a password during install, then you should

be able to log in at a VT with root, but not via SSH/*DM etc.

The installer always presents a screen offering to set a password for
root. Leaving the entry field empty disables the root account and sudo
is installed.

Is there reason to not specify a root password?

In my opinion, no. According to one school of thought, use of sudo does
not make the system more secure. However, it can be handy at times. YMMV.

The current situation is a long series of test installations serving two
goals:
A. understanding the ins and outs of the installation procedure
B. eventually deciding just what I want in a final system

The laptop serving as a test vehicle:
is physically secure
will not spend much time connected to the internet
the hard drive as part of my experimenting will frequently be
reformatted

Root logins can be handy to have at times.

Archive: 4FE3F523.20209@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4FE3F523.20209@allums.com

Old 06-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Slavko

Ahoj,

Dňa Thu, 21 Jun 2012 23:31:31 -0500 Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> nap*sal:

> If you gave root a password during install, then you should

if you was used national keyboard (i don't know how it is in english) for
root password, you can go to problems, because installer do not follow the
keyboard choice during installation.

For me this happens, for example, with numbers, which are different in
english and slovak keyboard.

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk

Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:
> On 6/21/2012 9:58 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> Brian wrote:

> You're thinking of Ubuntu. Overriding that in Ubuntu is possible, but
> requires some fiddling and is not generally regarded as worth the effort.
> (Ubuntu sets the root password hash to an impossible value at install,
> making root login impossible until you change it. After you do that, all of
> the various system defaults assume sudo is in charge, and fixing all of that
> is a real nuisance. Since it isn't necessary, sane people mostly don't
> bother.)
>
> If you gave root a password during install, then you should
> be able to log in at a VT with root, but not via SSH/*DM etc.

If you don't set a root password in d-i, you end up with a "sudo
system" like OS X and Ubuntu. There's no fiddling to enable root; you
simply run "sudo passed" and set a password for root.

Debian has "PermitRootLogin yes" by default in "/etc/ssh/sshd_config"
so you can login via ssh as root (if root is enabled).

>> The current situation is a long series of test installations serving two
>> goals:
>> A. understanding the ins and outs of the installation procedure
>> B. eventually deciding just what I want in a final system
>>
>> The laptop serving as a test vehicle:
>> is physically secure
>> will not spend much time connected to the internet
>> the hard drive as part of my experimenting will frequently be
>> reformatted
>
> Root logins can be handy to have at times.

With "sudo -s" and "sudo -i" available, you're never without root login.