-   -   how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/675360-how-increase-through-put-lan-1gb.html)

Stan Hoeppner 06-21-2012 10:51 AM

On 6/21/2012 3:05 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> i am using Debian with below specs
> 1 GB RAM
> Xeon 2.8
> 2 TB SATA x2 (RAID 1)
>
> i learn that my LAN throughput is like 200 to 300 Mbps which is quite
> enough for me for now. but i am planning ahead to use ISCSI for
> virtualization to provide HA, therefore i need my Giga LAN to reach
> the 1000 Mbps throughput.
>
> so i need to know. what could be done to achieve this ?

That Xeon 2.8 is apparently a 130nm NetBurst CPU, likely 8 years old,
which makes the mobo and system chipset 8 years old. This is a limiting
factor, but probably not _the_ limiting factor, in GbE throughput.

More important is what ethernet ASIC you're using. Realtek and Marvell
ASICs will never hit close to wire speed. That's just a fact. Intel
ASICs can easily. Probably Broadcomm as well.

Also, to achieve wire speed you'll likely need a large MTU, often called
a "jumbo frame". All devices on a subnet must have the same size MTU,
so this is only an option if you can match the MTU across them all. And
all switches on the subnet must also support jumbo frames. Last, the
router for the subnet must support jumbo frames on the interface
connected to the jumbo segment. If not you'll not be able to reach the
public internet.

Regarding Samba, you'll never reach wire speed with it, ~80-85% seems to
be the limit. FTP should get really close, 90-95%. iperf and other
test utilities should reach 95+% with good NICs.

Before we can give you additional advice/pointers, we need to know what
ethernet ASIC (NIC) is in the workstation, and also in the Windows
machine you're communicating with. If either is a Realtek or other low
end ASIC you won't reach more than 600-700Mb/s or so. iSCSI performance
should be within a few percent of the iperf rate with good NICs.

--
Stan

Stan Hoeppner 06-21-2012 11:00 AM

On 6/21/2012 5:28 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> agreed, but my virtualization system is 4 core xeon 2.3 with 8 GB RAM.
> 500 GB sata RAID 1 so i think hardware will not be a problem

You keep mentioning all your hardware specs but what counts most:

THE NIC

> only 1 switch which is 1 GB supported and linsys switch 48 port
> manageable L2 switch

Does it support jumbo frames? Post model# please.

> standard windows share/samba i think it uses TCP (not sure)

Samba uses TCP because its protocol is CIFS/SMB, which use TCP. Samba
doesn't speak TCP. CIFS/SMB are two layers up the OSI stack. They you
can't "tune" Samba's network performance. You can only tune Linux' TCP
performance, and Samba will benefit.

You're asking a technical question on a technical mailing list. Please
always post all technical details related to an issue. Thus far you
have not. As a rule, it's better to post too much information that not
enough.

Thanks.

--
Stan

"bruno.debian@cyberoso.com" 06-21-2012 12:28 PM

how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

Le Thu, 21 Jun 2012 06:00:10 -0500,
Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> a crit :

> On 6/21/2012 5:28 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
> > agreed, but my virtualization system is 4 core xeon 2.3 with 8 GB
> > RAM. 500 GB sata RAID 1 so i think hardware will not be a problem
>
> You keep mentioning all your hardware specs but what counts most:
>
> THE NIC
>
> > only 1 switch which is 1 GB supported and linsys switch 48 port
> > manageable L2 switch
>
> Does it support jumbo frames? Post model# please.
>
> > standard windows share/samba i think it uses TCP (not sure)
>
> Samba uses TCP because its protocol is CIFS/SMB, which use TCP. Samba
> doesn't speak TCP. CIFS/SMB are two layers up the OSI stack. They
> you can't "tune" Samba's network performance. You can only tune
> Linux' TCP performance, and Samba will benefit.
>
> You're asking a technical question on a technical mailing list.
> Please always post all technical details related to an issue. Thus
> far you have not. As a rule, it's better to post too much
> information that not enough.
>
> Thanks.

Is the problem really the network? If you tested your thoughput c200 to
300 Mbpsopying a file, then I guess the bottleneck is your hard drive.
Your 200 to 300 Mbps correspond to your disk throughput in my opinion.
Try to use iperf to test your network throughput, and be well aware
that your disk io will be the real bottleneck here.

Bruno

Jon Dowland 06-21-2012 01:10 PM

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 06:00:10AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Samba uses TCP because its protocol is CIFS/SMB, which use TCP. Samba
> doesn't speak TCP. CIFS/SMB are two layers up the OSI stack. They you
> can't "tune" Samba's network performance. You can only tune Linux' TCP
> performance, and Samba will benefit.

Client configuration is not irrelevant, though, either. I have a SMB
server at home which serves at 'decent' speeds to my Linux clients, and
dire speeds to my Windows client. I have no idea why, yet.

Jon Dowland 06-21-2012 01:12 PM

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:19:40AM +0200, Bartek Krawczyk wrote:
> 2012/6/21 Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>:
> > i am using bw-ng however i am actually learning these stats from "scp"
> > copy command and secondly from samba when i try to download some huge
> > files from samba to windows host. my network graph bumps up n down b/w
> > 200 to 300 Mbps.
>
> scp is a bad idea - think about all the encryption which significantly
> decreases the throughput.
> Read about tuning Linux network stack with sysctl. It will help in
> case of samba.

Also, openssh has fixed-size transmission buffers to avoid the security
issues associated with writing dynamic-sized ones. There are third-party
patches that can improve SFTP performance by replacing the static buffers:

http://www.psc.edu/index.php/hpn-ssh

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-21-2012 01:19 PM

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 6/21/2012 3:05 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> i am using Debian with below specs
>> 1 GB RAM
>> *Xeon 2.8
>> 2 TB SATA x2 (RAID 1)
>>
>> i learn that my LAN throughput is like 200 to 300 Mbps which is quite
>> enough for me for now. but i am planning ahead to use ISCSI for
>> virtualization to provide HA, therefore i need my Giga LAN to reach
>> the 1000 Mbps throughput.
>>
>> so i need to know. what could be done to achieve this ?
>
> That Xeon 2.8 is apparently a 130nm NetBurst CPU, likely 8 years old,
> which makes the mobo and system chipset 8 years old. *This is a limiting
> factor, but probably not _the_ limiting factor, in GbE throughput.
>
> More important is what ethernet ASIC you're using. *Realtek and Marvell
> ASICs will never hit close to wire speed. *That's just a fact. *Intel
> ASICs can easily. *Probably Broadcomm as well.
>
> Also, to achieve wire speed you'll likely need a large MTU, often called
> a "jumbo frame". *All devices on a subnet must have the same size MTU,
> so this is only an option if you can match the MTU across them all. *And
> all switches on the subnet must also support jumbo frames. *Last, the
> router for the subnet must support jumbo frames on the interface
> connected to the jumbo segment. *If not you'll not be able to reach the
> public internet.
>
> Regarding Samba, you'll never reach wire speed with it, ~80-85% seems to
> be the limit. *FTP should get really close, 90-95%. *iperf and other
> test utilities should reach 95+% with good NICs.
>
> Before we can give you additional advice/pointers, we need to know what
> ethernet ASIC (NIC) is in the workstation, and also in the Windows
> machine you're communicating with. *If either is a Realtek or other low
> end ASIC you won't reach more than 600-700Mb/s or so. *iSCSI performance
> should be within a few percent of the iperf rate with good NICs.

Ok this is the whole detail of my production LAB these are the
production systems.

Virtualization server KVM Server
========================
Mboard S5500BC 8 GB RAM 2.0 Xeon processor.
and using onboard LANs which i believe are intel based.
Sata 500 GB 4 drives (no RAID)

Samba Machine :
===============
Mboard D946GZIS 1 GB RAM
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (not onboard)
Sata 2TB Drives RAID 1

XP machine (desktop) :
===============
Mboard DG43NB 2 GB RAM Xeon
Intel(R) core 2 duo CPU 2.66GHz
ONBOARD LAN.
Sata 320

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-21-2012 01:25 PM

how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM, bruno.debian@cyberoso.com
<bruno.debian@cyberoso.com> wrote:
> Le Thu, 21 Jun 2012 06:00:10 -0500,
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> a écrit :
>
>> On 6/21/2012 5:28 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>> > agreed, but my virtualization system is 4 core xeon 2.3 with 8 GB
>> > RAM. 500 GB sata RAID 1 so i think hardware will not be a problem
>>
>> You keep mentioning all your hardware specs but what counts most:
>>
>> THE NIC
>>
>> > only 1 switch which is 1 GB supported and linsys switch 48 port
>> > manageable L2 switch
>>
>> Does it support jumbo frames? *Post model# please.
>>
>> > standard windows share/samba *i think it uses TCP (not sure)
>>
>> Samba uses TCP because its protocol is CIFS/SMB, which use TCP. *Samba
>> doesn't speak TCP. *CIFS/SMB are two layers up the OSI stack. *They
>> you can't "tune" Samba's network performance. *You can only tune
>> Linux' TCP performance, and Samba will benefit.
>>
>> You're asking a technical question on a technical mailing list.
>> Please always post all technical details related to an issue. *Thus
>> far you have not. *As a rule, it's better to post too much
>> information that not enough.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Is the problem really the network? If you tested your thoughput c200 to
> 300 Mbpsopying a file, then I guess the bottleneck is your hard drive.
> Your 200 to 300 Mbps correspond to your disk throughput in my opinion.
> Try to use iperf to test your network throughput, and be well aware
> that your disk io will be the real bottleneck here.

No i am using Samba since few months and i am facing this since the
installation as 200 Mbps is enough for our production environment so i
havent worked over it but now i am planning for HA for Virtualization
by using iSCSI.
and of course we can not afford SAN harware :) (expensive stuff) so
planning to make my own i know there are lots of options which will be
unavailable but i think i don’t need them either.

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-21-2012 01:28 PM

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:19:40AM +0200, Bartek Krawczyk wrote:
>> 2012/6/21 Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>:
>> > i am using bw-ng however i am actually learning these stats from "scp"
>> > copy command and secondly from samba when i try to download some huge
>> > files from samba to windows host. my network graph bumps up n down b/w
>> > 200 to 300 Mbps.
>>
>> scp is a bad idea - think about all the encryption which significantly
>> decreases the throughput.
>> Read about tuning Linux network stack with sysctl. It will help in
>> case of samba.
>
> Also, openssh has fixed-size transmission buffers to avoid the security
> issues associated with writing dynamic-sized ones. There are third-party
> patches that can improve SFTP performance by replacing the static buffers:
>
> http://www.psc.edu/index.php/hpn-ssh

SFTP is not what i need
i am searching on iSCSI specifically and SAMBA aswell.

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-21-2012 01:32 PM

how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM, bruno.debian@cyberoso.com
<bruno.debian@cyberoso.com> wrote:
> Le Thu, 21 Jun 2012 06:00:10 -0500,
> Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> a crit :
>
>> On 6/21/2012 5:28 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>> > agreed, but my virtualization system is 4 core xeon 2.3 with 8 GB
>> > RAM. 500 GB sata RAID 1 so i think hardware will not be a problem
>>
>> You keep mentioning all your hardware specs but what counts most:
>>
>> THE NIC
>>
>> > only 1 switch which is 1 GB supported and linsys switch 48 port
>> > manageable L2 switch
>>
>> Does it support jumbo frames? *Post model# please.
>>
>> > standard windows share/samba *i think it uses TCP (not sure)
>>
>> Samba uses TCP because its protocol is CIFS/SMB, which use TCP. *Samba
>> doesn't speak TCP. *CIFS/SMB are two layers up the OSI stack. *They
>> you can't "tune" Samba's network performance. *You can only tune
>> Linux' TCP performance, and Samba will benefit.
>>
>> You're asking a technical question on a technical mailing list.
>> Please always post all technical details related to an issue. *Thus
>> far you have not. *As a rule, it's better to post too much
>> information that not enough.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Is the problem really the network? If you tested your thoughput c200 to
> 300 Mbpsopying a file, then I guess the bottleneck is your hard drive.
> Your 200 to 300 Mbps correspond to your disk throughput in my opinion.
> Try to use iperf to test your network throughput, and be well aware
> that your disk io will be the real bottleneck here.
sorry i got your question wrong sorry for my weakenlish

correct me if i am wrong becuase the drives that i baught has default
3 GB througput do you still thing
drives could be the bottleneck here?

Dan Ritter 06-21-2012 01:45 PM

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 06:32:11PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > Your 200 to 300 Mbps correspond to your disk throughput in my opinion.
> > Try to use iperf to test your network throughput, and be well aware
> > that your disk io will be the real bottleneck here.
> sorry i got your question wrong sorry for my weakenlish
>
> correct me if i am wrong becuase the drives that i baught has default
> 3 GB througput do you still thing
> drives could be the bottleneck here?

There are no spinning drives that give 3GB/s throughput. That is the
rating for the SATA interface between the drives and your PCI(e)
bus.

There are some solid-state disks, very expensive, which can
approach 600MB/s. There are some SSDs that connect directly to
PCIe that approach 6GB/s. In either case, you would have
mentioned them, because they are very very expensive.

If you have ordinary SATA disks, the best you can expect is
about 120MB/s per disk, which various RAID schemes can add
together with more or less efficiency.

-dsr-

--
http://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't fight for freedom by taking away rights.