Old 06-26-2012, 06:03 AM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

Default how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 6/25/2012 3:08 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> agreed, KVM backup is is one of them. i am facing this problem most
>> often so as a workaround i need to backup all the VMs locally and then
>> i have to scp them to other network storage.
>
> scp is not the proper application for this due to overhead, and the fact
> that VM image files don't have security issues requiring encryption on
> the wire. *You should be using ftp or some other file transfer program
> that doesn't use encryption.

Thanks for the advice now i will create an ftp share for the VM database.

> With VM images you'll need to snapshot them anyway due to state. *And I
> suppose that you've tried to snapshot directly to a Samba share will
> poor performance. *Snapping to an iSCSI target should help here,
> assuming you do a god job with your self made storage host exposing the
> LUNs.

Yes snapping is the problem due to which i have to make the snapshot
on local drive and further i have to copy the whole stuff via SCP.
do you think iSCSI LUNs are faster as FTP. or i should first make a
local copy then FTP to Storage?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Stan Hoeppner

On 6/26/2012 1:03 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Yes snapping is the problem due to which i have to make the snapshot
> on local drive and further i have to copy the whole stuff via SCP.
> do you think iSCSI LUNs are faster as FTP. or i should first make a
> local copy then FTP to Storage?

Sure it's faster, because it's one operation, not two. When you were
doing it via Samba share it was probably faster overall as well, for the
same reason.

--
Stan

Old 06-27-2012, 02:47 PM
lina

Sorry to interrupt,

Why I failed to use

$ iperf -c 155.X.Y.Z -r
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
connect failed: Connection refused

$ iperf -c lina@155.X.Y.Z -r
error: Name or service not known

I am very interested in this thread, cause I wish to know what's wrong
with my laptop.
Recently when I uploaded something even as attachement, it's so slow,
unbearable slow if the file > 1 M to hotmail.
But when I changed to another computer, it uploaded so fast.
Shall I start a new thread, or continue this one.

Thanks ahead with best regards,