-   -   how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/675303-how-increase-through-put-lan-1gb.html)

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-21-2012 08:05 AM

how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

i am using Debian with below specs
1 GB RAM
Xeon 2.8
2 TB SATA x2 (RAID 1)

i learn that my LAN throughput is like 200 to 300 Mbps which is quite
enough for me for now. but i am planning ahead to use ISCSI for
virtualization to provide HA, therefore i need my Giga LAN to reach
the 1000 Mbps throughput.

so i need to know. what could be done to achieve this ?

Thanks,

Bartek Krawczyk 06-21-2012 08:24 AM

2012/6/21 Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>:
> i am using Debian with below specs
> 1 GB RAM
> Xeon 2.8
> 2 TB SATA x2 (RAID 1)
>
> i learn that my LAN throughput is like 200 to 300 Mbps which is quite
> enough for me for now. but i am planning ahead to use ISCSI for
> virtualization to provide HA, therefore i need my Giga LAN to reach
> the 1000 Mbps throughput.
>
> so i need to know. what could be done to achieve this ?

And how do you test your throughput? Try using iperf with -u switch or
custom window size in tcp. What's the hardware of the remote
connection end?
On:
1 - Intel i5, 8GB ram, SATA HDD, intel 1Gb ethernet card
2 - Atom D525, 2GB ram, CF card, realtek 1Gb ethernet card

with iperf i get about 600mbps (in UDP mode or with custom TCP window size).

Bartek Krawczyk

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-21-2012 08:42 AM

how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Bartek Krawczyk
<bbartlomiej.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/6/21 Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>:
>> i am using Debian with below specs
>> 1 GB RAM
>> *Xeon 2.8
>> 2 TB SATA x2 (RAID 1)
>>
>> i learn that my LAN throughput is like 200 to 300 Mbps which is quite
>> enough for me for now. but i am planning ahead to use ISCSI for
>> virtualization to provide HA, therefore i need my Giga LAN to reach
>> the 1000 Mbps throughput.
>>
>> so i need to know. what could be done to achieve this ?
>
> And how do you test your throughput?

i am using bw-ng however i am actually learning these stats from "scp"
copy command and secondly from samba when i try to download some huge
files from samba to windows host. my network graph bumps up n down b/w
200 to 300 Mbps.

>Try using iperf with -u switch or
> custom window size in tcp. What's the hardware of the remote
> connection end?
> On:
> 1 - Intel i5, 8GB ram, SATA HDD, intel 1Gb ethernet card

strange........... just 600mbps out of that strong system.

Bartek Krawczyk 06-21-2012 09:19 AM

how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

2012/6/21 Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>:
> i am using bw-ng however i am actually learning these stats from "scp"
> copy command and secondly from samba when i try to download some huge
> files from samba to windows host. my network graph bumps up n down b/w
> 200 to 300 Mbps.

scp is a bad idea - think about all the encryption which significantly
decreases the throughput.
Read about tuning Linux network stack with sysctl. It will help in
case of samba.

net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 = 1

> strange........... just 600mbps out of that strong system.

You seem to miss the fact that in bandwidth tests the other end of the
connection is also important and in my case it was:
>> 2 - Atom D525, 2GB ram, CF card, realtek 1Gb ethernet card

>> with iperf i get about 600mbps (in UDP mode or with custom TCP window size).

You need to do some research about high-speed networks and see that
there are many things that need taking care of.
1. What is the hardware which connects with the one you mentioned?
2. What are the specs of the network between them? Are there any
switches, APs, routers?
3. Do you use TCP or UDP?

--
Bartek Krawczyk

Muhammad Yousuf Khan 06-21-2012 10:28 AM

how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Bartek Krawczyk
<bbartlomiej.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/6/21 Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com>:
>> i am using bw-ng however i am actually learning these stats from "scp"
>> copy command and secondly from samba when i try to download some huge
>> files from samba to windows host. my network graph bumps up n down b/w
>> 200 to 300 Mbps.
>
> scp is a bad idea - think about all the encryption which significantly
> decreases the throughput.
> Read about tuning Linux network stack with sysctl. It will help in
> case of samba.
>
> net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
> net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
> net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
> net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216
> net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
> net.ipv4.tcp_timestamps = 1
> net.ipv4.tcp_sack = 1
> net.ipv4.tcp_rfc1337 = 1
>
>> strange........... just 600mbps out of that strong system.
>
> You seem to miss the fact that in bandwidth tests the other end of the
> connection is also important and in my case it was:
>>> 2 - Atom D525, 2GB ram, CF card, realtek 1Gb ethernet card

agreed, but my virtualization system is 4 core xeon 2.3 with 8 GB RAM.
500 GB sata RAID 1 so i think hardware will not be a problem

>>> with iperf i get about 600mbps (in UDP mode or with custom TCP window size).
>
> You need to do some research about high-speed networks and see that
> there are many things that need taking care of.
> 1. What is the hardware which connects with the one you mentioned?
2 GB core 2 duo 2 (point some thing) Ghz, 300 GB HD
> 2. What are the specs of the network between them? Are there any
> switches, APs, routers?
only 1 switch which is 1 GB supported and linsys switch 48 port
manageable L2 switch
> 3. Do you use TCP or UDP?
standard windows share/samba i think it uses TCP (not sure)